Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

Feasibility of Marine Bug Out in case of Economic Collapse

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Sea-Sovereign, Dec 24, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhinotub

rhinotub Member

Comparing Detroit to Cairo to Benghazi is bonkers. You can't just lump them all together as evidence for anything... it's like saying that Timothy McVeigh and Ted Bundy and Vincent Vega are reasons to buy Kevlar jackets, because white men are gonna start killing a lot of people. The long-term cultural, political, social, micro- and macro-economic complexities of the how's and why's of the world we live in are beyond what falls out of Glenn Beck's mouth.

Game Over? What do you mean? Did those cities vanish? It's not 'GAME OVER"... it's business as usual, it's human beings living their lives: happens every day after bombings in Boston, riots after NBA Finals in Miami, missiles landing in Gaza, economic desolation in Detroit, Islamabad, Sandpoint, and on and on and on...human beings living their lives.

You think "man" existed 66 million years ago?

Maybe we have a different problem here.

Yup.
  2. Sea-Sovereign

Sea-Sovereign New Member

@rhinotub

You wrote: “A viable option is one that works. You don't know what will create this fantasy scenario you imagine, in turn, nothing can be known about what that fantasy Marine Solution scenario would require: so, nothing will work, because you don't know what is needed.

This would get even more obtuse if what you imagine actually happened, for the geopolitical ripple effects of such a collapse would alter everything, exponentially, and continue to do so, meaning that a viable Option #1 today might be moot on day one of Bug Out A.“

I appreciate that input. Part of the reason for posing the question here in the first place was to have a constructive discussion of just those possibilities and what they might mean for the possibility I posed. Indeed, the ripple effects of such a situation would be enormous as there really is no historical precedent with which to predict the after-effects. It would seem your view is the marine option is not feasible at all, is that an accurate characterization of your view here?
  3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Make sure whatever yacht you use for your escape vehicle that it has mechanical engine(s) and all steps necessary for self preservation in case of EMP attack.

Judy
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Ah heck Judy, you don't need to worry about sort of ... wow, what was that flash
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The one thing that seems to be ovr looke dhere is the cost pof setting this escape route up.

Is there any budget to get this setup going?
  6. bliss

bliss Senior Member

Arizona would be a good canidate. There are lots and lots of people already there who worry along the same lines. OOPS! It looks as though you are already there.
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

As our friend is a Radio host in that fair state, I think a photo may help of a famous landmark there.

The Radio Jock Cock Rock.

;)

Attached Files:

8. Sea-Sovereign

Sea-Sovereign New Member

@JWY -- The EMP possibllity is actually my top concern with any marine bugout plan and is the one issue that comes the closest by itself to scuttling such a plan before it starts. The seaworthiness of todays boats goes straight to hell when electronics are compromised on that kind of scale. Electronics and microprocessors have so infected our world and, for better or worse, the world of boats too. Survival on the water is dependent on EVERYTHING working properly or being maintainable when it fails. From circuits for watermakers to navigation to safety and security systems to engine management, energy control, bilge management to communications to... you name it. the microprocessor now rules.

And while a military vessel can harden within the Faraday cage of a steel hull and steel decks above, civilian yachts are not capable of this. The decks are not designed with electronic hardening as a design objective. Aside from that, much of the bridge electronics, for example, have leads to antennas atop the highest points aboard -- the perfect conduit for such an energy burst straight into the receiver back ends - delivered in less than a few milliseconds. Think Back-to-the-Future graphics behind your bridge instrument consoles...

Sadly, my queries to sales and tech support of these marine electronics equipment vendors have revealed a woeful and massive blind eye to the possible effects on their equipment of a gamma-ray burst of energy. You might not be surprised how many times I was asked, "What's EMP?" And those who did know what it was became far more vague as my questions became more specific. Furuno, of all companies, was a particular disappointment.

The other issue is that the effects of such an event - whether deliberately a man-caused EMP or as a natural phenomenon of the sun (CME) -- is that this would affect not only our boat, but potentially any land-based infrastructure within range as well. Assuming fuel bunkering and supply could be found, the effects of EMP could render their ability to pump fuel, and maintain provisions and supplies a thing of the past. Shipping and supply lines would also likely be affected.
  9. Sea-Sovereign

Sea-Sovereign New Member

@K1W1 The cost of such a plan is not overlooked here... but it simply has not come up on the thread thus far. This factor is not insignificant by any stretch. We are not contemplating a mere provisioning and preparing for a leisurely extended charter here. The mission is quite different -- from the skill sets of everyone aboard (All would be considered Crew Members in this paradigm) -- all the way down to the boat itself and the ability to handle any emergence of issues from mechanical to repelling pirates. The financial issue isn't actually a major concern here. My original "peace-time" plan was to buy a yacht, transit to the Caymans and find a berthing situation and simply live aboard before it became apparent that these places might actually end up being on the rat-tail end of the world's supply channels in the event of a major economic of financial disruption. But preparing a boat and hardening it for an extended period of independence will, by no means, be a cheap undertaking. The aforementioned hardening of essential electronics is, all by itself, a very expensive proposition and the refitting of a boat for this mission has actually led me to seriously consider and look into having a boat built from the keel up as a more practical and effective alternative. (Speaking of this, if anyone has any thoughts on Dan Fritz or opinions on Cape Scott Yachts, I'd love to hear them.)

@BLISS -- I assume, by Arizona being a good candidate, you are speaking of a location during a crisis. Yes, I am already there and quite well capable in my present location of dealing with a grid-down scenario... but this doesn't come without it's trepidation. There are signs that the traditional retreat to the rural areas plan envisioned by so many 'preppers' might not be as effective as has been believed up until now. Hence, as a water rat, for the first 26 years of my life, the sea looks better to me in several key respects. (If you give the Sea her due respect and follow her rules, she won't actively try to kill you.) -- Enough so that a little inquiry and due-diligence is appropriate and warranted.

@Fishtigua -- Brings new perspective to 'getting your rocks off" eh? Heh heh, you should see that rock during our 'monsoon' season -- speaking of 'boulder' gestures!!! LOL!
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Build a sailboat and carry some materials and tools to repair the sails and rig when required.

Wind, Solar FW generation with materials and tools to repair same when required

Fishing and other survival gear for as long as you intend to need it.

Whatever means of violent defense you can carry and are prepared to use if it comes to it.

Take as many extreme survival, medical courses as you can.

Choose your crew carefully, being stuck with the same characters for too long could lead to popular revolt or a coup especially if encouraged by any outside influence.

There are a few remote islands I can think of where it is warm and sunny most of the time. One or two even have some inhabitants, there are others where it is not always so sunny but the growing coditions might be better for long term off grid survival.
  11. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Check out "Seasteads" on Drudge Report. Not quite what you're looking for, but invite 250 of your best friends and you won't need to reinvent the wheel.
  12. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

There are plenty of Military Trade Shows that have contractors who make the types of products you may be interested in, here's one of them.

Sea-Air-Space 2014 - Sea-Air-Space 2014

Now you can start talking about some real $$$........
  13. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

14. rhinotub

rhinotub Member

Sure there is. But I don't care enough to do the math.

Curious - if you're so sure the conspirimageddon is coming, why haven't you bugged out yet?

An opinion based on a hypothetical response to a fictitious event?

Nope. I have no opinion on that.
  15. Sea-Sovereign

Sea-Sovereign New Member

You SHOULD do the math. The size and scale ARE unprecedented -- with the possible per-capita exception of the Roman situation -- but the available historical accounts there are filled with too many conflicting and inconclusive accounts of the extent of the currency debasement of the time to be of much predictive value.

"conspirimageddon' -- heh heh, interesting word. :) Anyway, I don't remember saying much about what we have or have not done thus far beyond a sentence in reply to @BLISS above. Whatever our current situation, it's always prudent to be open to options and alternatives. While there is an elevated state of preparedness now in place, we aren't at the level of 'crazed zealots' that the producers of 'Doomsday Preppers' would like to portray for their ratings races and their media mogul handlers. It's simply NOT TIME to 'bug-out' yet. 2014 may be pivotal... maybe not. We'll see. A concern is that we may already be too late to properly prepare and implement an option of this nature. If we had to build a yacht, the time required would likely scuttle the option.

Fair enough.

Finally. Just an aside on your earlier response to my allusion to 66 million years ago... I think somewhere on your profile it said you are a writer??? Surely you know what a metaphor is...

Again, Thank you for your thoughts.
  16. Sea-Sovereign

Sea-Sovereign New Member

@K1W1

Thank you for the suggestion. A couple questions for you:

It used to be observed that, for example, in many places, when large yachts came to port, many of the locals and onlookers were wowed. But now, there is at least anecdotal evidence that, since the world economies have turned down, there is a change in perception that is, perhaps, less friendly to these craft. Have you or anyone else here noticed a trend like this and, if so, is it more prevalent in some areas than others? Secondly, has this caused any changes in operational procedure, protocols, or changes in security measures to keep the yacht and it's passengers and crew safe? Are there places which used to be considered friendly that are less so today?

Of course, any situation such as I am preparing for would reduce the number of boats on the water and thus we would become much more apparent and likely a greater 'target of opportunity' as a result of the reduced "noise level' of other vessels. Your thoughts?

I did charter fishing in my earlier life, so I would imagine we could still feed a crew reasonably well in addition to a healthy supply of long-term supplies quite similar to a land-based compound. Hydroponics and aquaponics are familiar technologies here and could be adapted to a marine setting. An aversion to seafood would likely be a disqualifier for any crew prospects. :)

Your comments about choosing a crew wisely are appreciated. The group considering this option has lived well together for many years and is well-unified in their relationships. That said, this would be a new experience for them, complete with it's attendant stresses. I would appreciate more nautical experience among them, but the basic knowledgebase would be there to train. Mechanical skills to handle ship's system is an issue I am addressing actively. There is extensive medical training among us. I wouldn't contemplate this option without that skill set aboard along with the materials and equipment needed to put it to use if necessary,

Defensive capability is a significant priority even as we are also aware that some local jurisdictions will not be amenable to this capability. The ability to defend at anchor or underway, while not without it's potential for complications, paperwork, or worse, is still seen as preferable to defenselessness. In a grid-down any law enforcement, at a very minimum, won't be interested in our protection.

Any specifics on the locations you alluded to?

Thank you for your thoughts.

@JWY I saw the SeaStead article... truthfully, it gave me a good laugh. Did it actually make Drudge??? WOW!

@PacBlue Thank you for the link to the milspec trade shows... you are right... megabucks... but I know a senior design engineer at Raytheon who suggested the same idea...

@OldPhart. Nice. I came across SetSail very recently. It's inspired a deeper inquiry. Thanks for the second pointer. :)
  17. rhinotub

rhinotub Member

I thought you weren't here to convince anyone of anything.

Guess not.
  18. Monzie

Monzie New Member

If things get as bad as suggested here one of the hardest thing would probably be defending your bug-out-boat from other "pirates".
    Maybe a submarine is the answer. :rolleyes:

Pete
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Noah had the same problem.
  20. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

True, but at mealtime, he never lacked for a 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th serving. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.