Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck

| Feadship | 83.50M "SAVANNAH" (formerly Project 686) | 2015 |

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by Yacht News, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

New Feadship project 686 was spotted out in the open...as she was being transferred. She has an interesting design with a knife bow and perhaps may be launched maybe in early 2015. Hardly anything is known about this yacht at the moment.

Opnieuw vaart miljoenenjacht door Alphen - Alphens.nl
  2. davidwb

davidwb Senior Member

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Seems to be a very wet yacht..?
  4. davidwb

davidwb Senior Member

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, but on a "best of" site there's a photo showing windows near the stern on the waterline?
    Not surprising considering the build and design indications of Feadship's yearly concept, but I expected them near the bow :D
  5. oceaneer

oceaneer Member

Hmmm... was not wet at the tank testing..
    plumb bows have been around for a long time.
    Look at all the ocean liners from the 30 and onwards. You would be very hard pressed to find a crazy yacht style bow on any of them.
    Oceaneer
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The bigger the better of course. I was out with my small plumb bow from 1931 yesterday, and got pretty wet because of the wind...
  7. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

She remainds me of Vava II, but with a different stern.
  8. cheesey

cheesey New Member

Henk de Vries, CEO at world leading shipyard Feadship talks to Y.CO about their latest ground breaking innovation:

FIRST ORDER FOR FEADSHIP’S NEW PROPULSION CONCEPT

From concept to reality… Feadship has received the first firm order to implement its pioneering Breathe propulsion system on a new yacht. The owners of an 83-metre motoryacht Feadship contracted will be the first to benefit from fuel savings of at least 20 percent thanks to a smart and efficient synthesis of engine choice, propeller deployment and hull shape.

The Breathe system is set to revolutionise how propulsion is viewed by the premium superyacht sector as Feadship once again raises the benchmark to a new level. It was first unveiled as part of the 2010 Feadship Future Concept called Breathe, hence the name. The system was also incorporated in the 2011 Qi (the sixth Future Concept) and is characterised by its simplicity and minimum number of components.

“The genesis of the concept was our desire to create a more eco-friendly propulsion system that did not involve the use of sails,” says Feadship director Henk de Vries. “In other words, we were seeking ways to enhance efficiency within an electro- mechanical propulsion set-up that blended Feadship’s past experience with forward thinking.

“We focused on three key elements: Streamlining the shape of the boat, using one medium-speed commercial marine main engine instead of two higher-rev diesel motors, deploying a single central propeller shaft installation, with an electrically driven motor behind it that rotates in the opposite direction. The Breathe system also uses the main engine to generate electrical power in range mode decreasing engine hours. Taken as a whole, this package offers major benefits in terms of fuel saving.”

The individual technologies involved in the Breathe system are not new in the yachting world, but the way they have been combined is. The hull has a wedge-like shape that resembles an arrow when seen from above. The centre of buoyancy is far aft, while the wave damping aft body creates negligible stern waves. With the two exposed shaft lines usually found on a superyacht being replaced by a single integrated central shaft line, resistance is significantly reduced.

Further synergies come from the fact that the conventional heavy-duty diesel motor has fewer cylinders and – coupled with the lower velocity of the pistons in the cylinder – creates less friction. Add in a slender bow that reduces the entrance angle and the Breathe system’s resistance is up to 30 percent lower at an average cruising speed of 15 knots.

Most yachts have two propellers with one as backup for the other, but as De Vries points out, redundancy is not seen as an issue on commercial vessels that only have one propeller. “This allows for a more dynamic hull shape and a more cost-effective way to propel a boat, a crucial aspect when hauling cargo across the globe. The underlying approach and thinking behind such a set-up have been on our radar for a while.

With the Breathe system, reliability is further ensured by fitting a large contra-rotating and azimuthing sternthruster just aft of the main propeller. This idea has already been seen on recent Feadships such as Air, Musashi and Fountainhead, albeit in combination with a conventional propulsion package. “This sternthruster provides a speed of up to 12 knots,” continues De Vries.

There are currently two giant passenger ferries with this system in operation, both in Japan. Several Feadship key staff members, together with the Owner’s engineer, spent time sailing one of these 250-metre vessels, verifying the validity of this smart solution while also picking up on various factors that could be improved.”

And there are still more synergies to be gained from the overall Breathe concept. The design of the aft ship allows for a 40 percent larger propeller than standard. Combined with the power supplied by the thruster, the load on the propeller is only half that on a normal twin screw yacht. This again results in a higher efficiency and fewer vibrations. In addition, the large sternthruster also ensures excellent manoeuvrability in marinas.

“It is obvious that a yacht requiring less fuel onboard to attain the same long range can then be given an even more slender design,” adds De Vries. “This in turn increases the efficiency levels and makes the yacht weigh less: Twenty percent of 150,000 litres of diesel is a serious saving not just in money and the environment but also in weight. Which in turn adds to the efficiency… ”

With the first order taken for an installation of the Breathe concept onboard a superyacht, Feadship has embarked on a tank testing regime that is proving the case in practice. De Vries: “Our tests have shown that at a normal ship’s speed, the overall efficiency increase compared to a conventional set-up will range between 18 to 30 per cent. The new project will feature one of four alternative configurations, and all these options offer an average efficiency gain of well over 20 per cent. So while the Breathe system will cost between one and two million euros more than the ‘standard’ approach, the lower fuel consumption means these expenses will be recuperated in less than two years based upon a normal sailing pattern.”

All of which begs the question as to why more superyacht yards have not come up with such a system. “You need to have the solidity of Feadship engineering, the experience in the shipyard, and a significant degree of abstract thinking capability to pull this off,” concludes De Vries.
  9. davidwb

davidwb Senior Member

Thank you for the article, very interesting way to reduce fuel costs and CO2 emissions
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi, don't believe 100% of everything you read on the Internet.
  11. captholli

captholli Senior Member

686 is the replacement for the owners Christensen "Odessa" . very unusual power plant set up consisting of one Wartsila 9-L20 prime mover with a energy recovery system that will be a first for Feadship .
  12. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Curious as to what you don't believe about this system? it's out there working in real time every day, Feadship certainly wouldn't sully their reputation and engineering prowess with some un proven technology would they? do you have some information that we don't know about? maybe you can clue us in...
  13. nmna

nmna Senior Member

According to davidwb's website, project 686 will be launched next week (January 25th).
  14. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Here are a couple more videos of Savannah.

15. German Yachting

16. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I'm sorry, but I don't find any beauty in this boat, nor styling whatsoever. I'm glad I'll never be able to afford a boat like that, so that's one less thing I have to worry about. Down here in the South we've got a word for this thing. FUGLY!
  17. German Yachting

Apparently she will be available for some chartering through Feadship.
  18. captholli

captholli Senior Member

You more than likely thought the same thing first glance at " Venus" but if you ever walked up next to her on the dock and walked her stem to stern OR had the opportunity to sit back 100 meters or so and study the symmetry I think that you may have a change of opinion.
    Every vessel can't subscribe to the Hargrave or Sparkman Stephens school of design.
    Also it's not so much an exterior design issue as I'm not here to say get onboard or get left behind but a fresh design with innovation sets the mark for future vessels design and there's a ton of innovation on 686.
    If you ever get the opportunity to be invited aboard a new Feadship or Oceanco , Lurssen or Amels than you'll know the difference after a few minutes as these builders are in a class by themselves engineering, joinery and metalwork wise and truly are "One Off's " . I believe it's called rarified air.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  19. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I've been on Feadships, Oceanco, Lurssen and Amels boats, and yes you are very correct, being aboard is truly rarified air. Feadship has always been THE shipyard as a measuring stick. A couple of decades ago, Feadship got a little to uppity and basically told their Clients "Just give us your money and we'll call you when it's done." That attitude cost them hundreds of millions of dollars in lost business, which opened the door for all the other MegaYacht builders. It's always been my contention that the Dutch build the finest Yachts in the world. I guess that if I owned Project 686, I would be on the inside looking out...I wouldn't have to look at it from a distance....having said that...it's still FUGLY!;) I'm just saying, If I put 500 million into a Yacht, personally I'd like a little more "Wow" factor from an aesthetic stand point. And if you happen to be working on this boat Captholli, don't tell your boss what I think of his boat! Not that I doubt he'd care.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  20. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Not involved with 686 , Sorry this design doesn't "Blow your skirt up" I won't even quantify the rest of your ramblings.