Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck

Faux teak transom

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by BoulderGT3, Feb 22, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

Does anyone have experience with this?
    I've seen it done two ways. The first is painted and clear coated. The second is a wrap.
    Any ideas on who does it in ft lauderdale? Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

any way has to be better than a real one. I have been involved in a yacht that had a fully teaked transom. A maintenance nightmare indeed till the varnish was done away with and it was oiled a few times a year.
  3. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Google "Air Teak" Absolutely the best representation of faux teak that I've been around and tough as nails. The company is out of Stuart, fl
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

5. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

Can you explain the process? I have not seen anything on it. They speak of varying thicknesses. How is it attached, is it "faux" boards? I understand it costs the same as the real deal just less the maintenance?
  6. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I have flexiteek on the swim platform of my Formula bowrider and teak on my Navigator platform.
    Synthetic teek is easier maintenance but hotter on bare feet in the direct sun. I like both. The synthetic stuff does stain as well.
    I don't think I would like it if I were in a warn sunny place.
    I like my real teek weathered grey and no oils. So that is not too much fuss.
  7. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Marinedeck 2000 is a cork-epoxy composite that is cool to the feet, soft, shock absorbent, stain resistant, easy to no maintenance, and easy to repair. About the only damage I have seen is from a cigarette tossed on a swim platform from the dock and there was a 2" scorch mark; the burn was cut out and a new piece inserted and looked like new in about 10 minutes. I love the stuff - you just have to like the aesthetics.
  8. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I don't think that any of the synthetic teak decking systems that your discussing are applicable to the OP's original question of "Faux Teak Transom". Wraps or painted.
  9. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Thanks, Captholli -- the key word is transom. I guess I forgot the OP when I read the post from gr8trn.
  10. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

Sorry I referenced Fishtigua's comment on flexiteek, I meant to reference the AIR TEAK comment from French. How is that applied? What is it made of? etc etc.

Regarding Flexiteek, they do have a bleached/scrubbed look . I prefer that. But the airteak I have in mind for a TRANSOM.

Back to transoms please?
  11. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

I saw air teak on the transom of a boat. It is very nice. Any idea what it costs and can it be done in the water?
    The web page is very vague.
  12. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

Let me be more specific on what I'm trying to solve for in the original post. I bought a boat that has the transom art air brushed and clear coated on the transom. Beautiful work. Probably 5-10 coats of clear over the logo work. The transom is glass smooth.

I could do something like air teak. A transom wrap, which sounds awful but I've seen it look pretty good. Or, I could have it sanded off. Removing the art work will take someone who knows what they are doing to not go too deep. I guess I could paint the transom but I'd rather not
    Has anybody dealt with this? Thanks.
  13. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Sorry I was not visualizing painting or wrapping "teak" around the transom air brushed artwork. I get it now, good luck with this.
  14. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Give Steve French a call @ Air Teak and get the skinny for $$$ and process.
  15. CreationsH2O

CreationsH2O Guest

Everett designs the best around
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It appears you have a Hatteras from your picture. If so give the Hatteras Yacht Center in Fort Lauderdale a call. They hired a company to do one of their boats (both transom and toe rails) that air brushed it and it came out REALLY nice. I don't know who did it, but I saw the boat after it was done.
  17. jet55

jet55 New Member

My transom is teak vinyl wrap with spun gold letters. I love it and the installers absolutely hated installing it. The boat is a 55 Ocean SF and I think it matches the personality of the boat perfectly.