Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

Factory props

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by bobbymo, Mar 6, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bobbymo

bobbymo New Member

After a recent skirmish with our infamous ICW in this area, I'm waiting for a haul-out appointment to replace them with the spares.
    My diver says the damage is minimal, but I can feel a difference in performance, thus, the scheduled haul-out. Main question is that my diver says the present props are stainless steel. I find that hard to believe that these 24" props are stainless.
    1989 Viking Aft-Cabin Motor Yacht 44 feet. Johnson & Towers 671 TIB engines.
    Anyone else have any knowledge? I know I will soon find out.......just thought I'd ask to see if anyone's had the same experience.
    Thanks all................................
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It is unusual and expensive to find stainless props on that boat. Obviously an upgrade.
    The props could indeed be off, and the diver wouldn't be able to tell. We just had our props scanned, and they measure the entire prop to 1/1000 of an inch. No eye or straight edge can do that.

When you haul check your shafts, struts and cutlass bearings as well.

BTW, just because those stainless props are expensive doesn't mean they're better. Technology has advanced by leaps and bounds since 1989.
  3. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Where in the ICW did you have a skirmish?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Outside the channel most likely.:oops: That's why we don't rely on only our charts or even the markers. I've brought several 5' drafts down the coast and only touched bottom in channel twice (both times in the Carolinas).
  5. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Carolinas are the worst although Georgia has it's fair share of obstacles!
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Stainless inboard wheels around 350 to 400 hp?
    IMO, Not to smart. I can not imagine a great increase in performance to overcome the drawbacks.
    Even Nibrail will absorb some damage and abuse before the shaft is damaged. I think a stainless wheel would pass some bad vibes to the shaft multiplying your damage and include the shaft & more. Proper repair to a stainless wheel could tax the checkbook further also.

Changing out the wheels while in the water is usually not a big deal unless you suspect other damage.