Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Abeking

Explorer question

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Leveller, Aug 20, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

Hi to all,

I would like to know if there are any limitations in building an explorer.

Having yachts like LE GRAND BLUE, OCTOPUS or ICE in mind, are these big ones really the non-plus-ultra in for example regions like Kerguelen Islands in winter or Greenland, the bigger the better? Or would a built in the range of 180' to 240' have more seastability if the weather gets really bad? I have seen a picture of a major cruiseship in a 60 ft wave and thought about what will happen to a smaller yacht.

Besides that what are the ground measurements for a yacht to have iceclass 1 A Super and / or was there ever a yacht been built to this iceclass? Or what iceclass is needed to go really into the extremes?

What other things have to be on a yacht in extreme weather conditions or icy-regions?

regards

Leveller
  2. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

In addition to the above standing questions, what about azipods in ice?

Leveller
  3. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

High Latitudes?

I have been looking into this as well. As for the really big Yachts, you have more space for everything, and if you want to spend the cash then you will have the stability. Thrusters and stabilizers wil help. You can take somthing in the 200' range and make it work. The question would be one of what do you want and how long do you want to be out?

Azipodes in Ice? I have not looked into it that much, but i think that the Coast Guard dose use them on the new Ice breaker. I would look around, you should be able to find somthing.

Another question, is the crew for the Yacht. They wil need more trainning.;)