Click for Comfort Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Delta

Exhaust Fabrication

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by mwwhit1, Dec 29, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

I need to replace the aluminum exhaust joint\elbows in my 1984 43'. Not the wet elbow mounted on the turbo, but the 8"?? (haven't measured yet) 45 degree connector between the turbo elbow and the muffler. Anyone replace these and can suggest a good marine exhaust fabricator to copy these?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I usually use D'Angelo's in Fort Lauderdale and they do great work. However, it might be easier for you to find someone local that you can take them to. I would check with Post, Viking and Ocean Yachts and see who they use for exhaust pieces and such. They probably have someone locally they use.
  3. blueboat

blueboat New Member

My main boating areas are Lewes, DE, and Hatteras,
    My 1982 42' has Johnson & Towers 6V92s. The New Jersey location seems to be able to get or have made everything related to the engines.

If they supplied the elbows originally, they probably have a supplier who could remake to the original specs without a hassle.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

5. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Update

I initally wrote to Post and Ken Jensen got back to me with the original manufacturer: Riverside Marine, Riverside, NJ @ 856-461-1077 I didn't reach out to them.

I went with D'Angelo Exhaust in FL. Great service, quick turnaround. Didn't shop around so I can't comment on their price but it seemed reasonable to me considering the material and labor involved.

Hope this helps any other Post owners who may need to replace these too.

Pic attached:

Attached Files:

6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Elbow replacement

Thanks for doing the leg work.
    This is one of my winter projects this year.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

D'Angelo's does great work and the guys are all good guys to deal with there. I have had them do a few exhausts for me and they all worked out well. D'Angelo's only downfall is they don't do the European exhaust flanges (I'm not sure if anyone in the US does).
  8. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

Thank you all for those kind words. I have been working at DeAngelo for almost 10 years now and it's always interesting as to what will be asked of us next. Capt J, of course we do European flanges. We have the capability to fabricate any size flange. We have fabricated components for European builders who ask for metric flanges on a constant basis. What we can't get from suppliers we build ourselves. Recently, we purchased a waterjet company to expand on our capabilities. If you are in the area and would like to stop by, just let me know.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have stopped by many times and know Dave fairly well. When I was dealing with a few Azimuts about 2 years ago and those expansion joints went bad, he told me I had to bring both the turbo side of the exhaust and the boat side of the exhaust because they couldn't make the flanges on the Azimut expansion piece (about 15" long accordian looking pieces)...... things may have changed.....I don't know now.......
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That one in the photo is not really as thick as it looks, it is smooth on the inside because it has a flow liner inside it.
  13. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

We just finish fabricating these bellows sections. They are replacement components for the 87 foot U.S.C.G. Patrol Boats.

Attached Files:

14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Jorge,

I reduced the size of the image above from 1024 pixels to 640 pixels, our max size limit. I know, I know... I'm a PITA. But you were member #56 at YF. Thought you knew this by now. ;)

See you at MIBS.

C
  15. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Installed and ready for summer

Install went great.

Attached Files:

16. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

You are correct, the T-bolt clamps should be offset by 90 degrees.