Click for Alexseal Click for Horizon Click for DeAngelo Click for Christensen Click for Burger

Evolution of the Internet -

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Mar 14, 2017.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Publisher/Admin

Considering a member mailer on this...

***​

The Internet's greatest value is the ability to learn from others. It was developed to share research among scientists and universities. What the internet has become is an all-out barrage of advertising, questionable content, misdirection and a complete disregard for privacy. Topping this list is Facebook. While some businesses think of it as a marketing vehicle, it's become more of a picture popularity contest with ad-lib remarks from a peanut gallery. Let's be real... anyone seriously researching a pre-purchase decision goes to Google and types in keywords relevant to their interests.

These days if you watch a product review, you have to question the authenticity. So many YouTubers and Instagrammers have become self-appointed "brand ambassadors" and get tons of free stuff for making a nice video gushing about a product. Equally, many websites have become placeholders for Ad Networks that are unrelated to the topic of the site. At best, ad networks are a distraction. At worst, they are an invasion of your privacy, tracking you around the internet and collecting information about you.

For decades, manufacturers advertised in magazines because it was a targeted audience driven by the knowledge of a few writers. The internet has shown us that thousands of people have real world experience and some of them can really write! Why would you read the ramblings of one writer when you can tap into the knowledge of thousands of your peers?

Since 2003, YachtForums has been focused on content, creating an undiluted, immersive user experience focused on yachts. Our collective knowledge has not only educated consumers, but strongly influenced an industry. YOU have the ability to make a difference. It starts with the websites your choose to visit, bookmark and participate in. If you have an interest in big boats, you have a community that values your experience.

Come join in the discussions at YachtForums!
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yes, 'Fake News' and other B/S has been pumped out for years and years. Look at those supermarket tabloids; 'Aliens Ate My Gerbil'!!! All rubbish. We all knew.

Now other sources are being thrust into the new ether via social media, we should always check and re-check sources of "fact".

Sorry, but ranting from old crazy uncles who have 'been informed on the Internet' of facts are hardly the base one should be working from. Listen to others with experience and a few miles under their belt, generally a good platform to work from.

Yes, it's a very good thing we have the likes of YF around, a good filter of knowledge from a bunch of trustworthy guys and gals.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Before much of the fake news was ignorance. Now it's started with purpose and spread out of ignorance. That's a huge difference.

Before you could do a little Snopes and quickly dismiss false posts. Now they multiply so quickly.

Carl, you left out the number one culprit in all this, Twitter. It's not just the things that hit the news. It's used by students to spread rumors about teachers or other students or to bully.

People have criticized you at times over removing posts you considered inappropriate, didn't want any rules. Well, you see the world without rules in Twitter and Facebook. Facebook now has acknowledged it's a problem but can they address it and keep up with it?

You've had builders and brokers in the past try to infiltrate to promote their product or to criticize another. It happens. Competing restaurants have people give their competitors bad reviews. Rumors spread about boats that just aren't true and they are damaging.

I don't mind any of the advertising. Annoying, but other than that if it pays the way, I'm fine, even if it's totally irrelevant. I wouldn't stop coming to YF if suddenly you had an add for condoms in place of one of the boat ads.

The internet is an incredible source of information. However, what was not planned for is the internet is also a weapon. It can be used to bully one person. It can be used to spread rumors. It can be used to influence elections even with false information. Things posted on it take on a life of their own. Social media put people in touch. Unfortunately, it's become a tool for many to do disruptive and damaging things. It's sad. It's the world without rules, without laws. In my opinion, everyone who owns a site has a responsibility, of not a legal one, a moral one. That responsibility is to not allow their site to be used as a weapon. There are limits on free speech. Always have been. Always have been needed. You can't yell "Fire" in a crowded theater. Now, it's much worse. There's no internet police, but site owners must self police. It may seem like it's impossible but I'd say to them, "You built this mess, now you straighten it out."
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

This is nothing new, the printed press has been doing it for years and years.

I don't even accept the free subscriptions to boating and yachting rags anymore because they are useless. Disguised advertising with a good dose of self inflating ego boosting personal opinion... and they miss the most riticso things... writers who call themselves experienced captain merely describe pictures with very litttle real information. PAthetic

So it's not surprise To see see so much mis information on line.

A little while ago, I saw a "sponsored post" from yachting magazine on Facebook gloating over how wonderful the azimut line was...

On the plus side, intelligent people will quickly separate the BS from the real information. And you can use the web and social media in many diffent ways. I primarily use FB to follow hobie related stuff (classic cars) or things I want to follow like the Vendée globe, America cup... as well as keep in touch with a handful of people. For too many users it's not just a picture popularity contest but a "how many friends can I accumulate" contest...

The internet has partially become like those tabloids... you ont have to pick them up, or click on those "sponsored stories"
  5. Knight

Knight Member

I second that, Facebook is going to control a large part of it also as in withholding the truth. There's one word for this (globalist). Corps who profit from population growth within there interest in the free world. Without illegals and immigrants the US pop growth would go backwards. My news sources fox news and most importantly infowars.
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The words I most despise in social media: "brand ambassador".

If I see that in a profile I might as well be reading "shill", "brown noser", or "I'll say anything to get free ****".
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Publisher/Admin

Anyone catch the 60 Minutes segment on 'fake news' last night? It's frightening how fast disinformation can spread and how people are using false news and sensationalism to drive traffic to websites or social media accounts...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-fake-news-60-minutes-producers-investigate/

Ad Networks such as Taboola (and Google) need to examine the long term effects of the sensationalistic leaders they use to drive traffic to websites forcing you to click through dozens of ad-filled pages, then begin tracking you around the internet delivering reminders of a product you may or may not have an interest in. I'm sure there are studies connecting purchase habits with repeatedly putting a product in front of a viewer. It's not unlike the subliminal advertising that was banned from television commercials (and movies!) many decades ago.

And if you think Google is benign, I've been seeing a correlation between Google's ad network and the ranking of websites that host Google's ad programs. It's really disappointing.
  8. 30West

30West New Member

What would be the point of a member mailer promoting this site? We already know if we like what is offered here. Are there a lot of members who are not active, that you want to bring back?

Looks like a good ad to place on other boater sites maybe.