Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

EPIRB saves lives.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Kafue, Aug 9, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's a tragedy. Unfortunately, it's sadly ironic that they were wise enough to carry an EPIRB but not enough to not take a new to them small boat out that far at night or to put on life jackets. As to the trawlers who didn't respond, that's a reminder to act as law enforcement, rescue and paramedics do-it's real until proven otherwise, you can never assume false alarm. However, we're all conditioned a bit by all the car alarms we constantly hear go off.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Sobering thoughts, that could be me in a little boat miles off shore in a remote location.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

That is sobering. I'm still amazed they both had an EPIRB and were able to find it.

Makes you think of the kids off Florida and what could have been a different outcome for them if they'd had one.
  5. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

Report says "they only bought the boat yesterday" so they took a new (to them) boat, 10+ miles offshore in the middle of the night....
  6. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Agree with you. It is quite common to see guys like you, out far chasing the big ones and fishing alone.
    I often used to take a Grady White out to the 50 fathoms (about 20 nautical miles) on my own and during the week. Would have taken friends, except often they would be working when I was free and the weather was too good to stay home.

For all the safety issues, there is something very satisfying being out of sight of land, alone and chasing bigger fish like cobia, amberjack, tuna and even a marlin. Always had a self inflating vest and an EPIRB.

I can't knock these guys, they were very experienced fishermen who knew the local waters. The fact it was a new boat is a fault and that is just bad luck to me. Yes they should have worn PFD's, but how often have we forgone this on a good day?
    Thanks to the rescue services, which are world class in Australia, or all aboard would be gone.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A friend of mine went fishing on his buddy's brand new 26' Pursuit about a year ago and they were around 20 NM out. Nice calm day. All of a sudden the boat felt heavy and they opened a hatch and water was up to the floor, they got VHF distress signal off to the USCG and put life jackets on and a minute or two later the boat turned turtle and they were in the water. The dealer had installed a transducer as part of the sale (electronics) and it popped out.....They got rescued fairly quickly (an hour or two a chopper was out) and a USCG boat a little while later.....but had they not called the USCG before the boat turned turtle, who knows the outcome. The other issue is like the boys in Jupiter, the boat doesn't completely sink and an automatic epirb with a hydrostatic release doesn't get deep enough to release itself.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

It is quite a surprise that it took 1 to 2 hrs for the helicopter to turn up given all the coverage in the US.

This is one of the things that we do not have really comprehensive cover for in NZ.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They were about 16 miles offshore of Ft. Pierce, FL. Not sure where the helicopter was based out of..... But I'm guessing it would take 15-30 mins to get a helicopter ready to fly between pre-flight checks etc. etc. Here's one of the stories, but the details are very vague

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-st-...t-guard-rescues-three-boaters-off-fort-pierce