Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport

EPA forcing marinas to carry gasoline with ethanol!

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt J, Nov 30, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

EPA Increases Final 2017 Ethanol Volume Mandates
    11/28/2016 12:00:00 AM | General Government Relations

Last Wednesday, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reversed course from its initial proposal and acted to increase the mandated ethanol volumes for 2017. Its decision to finalize the 2017 Renewable Volume Obligations (RVO), as part of the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) program, increases the amount of ethanol in our fuel supply to record levels and puts boaters at a significant risk of misfueling. NMMA’s Thom Dammrich issued a statement, which was included in the comprehensive Smarter Fuel Future coalition release:

“Today’s decision by the EPA directly threatens the safety of millions of American boaters. EPA ignored the overwhelming evidence presented by the boating industry in its decision to increase the 2017 ethanol mandate to record highs. EPA’s misguided decision not only denies the public choice at the pump to purchase ethanol free fuels, but they are now increasing the spread of a dangerous, prohibited fuel blend that will cause damage to marine engines and raises serious safety concerns. It’s clear that the EPA has failed in its duty—now more than ever NMMA urges the new Congress and the Trump Administration to work together to deliver actual reforms that fix this broken law and protects the millions of American boaters.”

In light of last week’s decision, it is clear that the RFS is broken. NMMA will be actively working with the next Congress and Trump Administration to deliver a reformed, workable RFS. To learn more about the decision and/or NMMA’s efforts to reform the RFS, please contact Michael Lewan atmlewan@nmma.org.

https://www.nmma.org/press/article/20968

There will be no more ethanol free fuel for 2017 at marinas........What a mess this is going to be for the marine industry again.
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

How the hell can some bureaucrat force an entire industry to sell an inferior product that will damage machinery?

Mind boggling, especially in the Land of the Free.
  3. C team

C team Senior Member

Ethanol gas has been the only option on the upper Chesapeake bay for many years.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Guess we have been lucky here in a South Florida so far.
    Tanker trucks with clean gas is only a phone call away, last time the price was $3.05 delivered to my dock.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

This is how the country has been run for the past few years : bureaucrats writing regulations and bypassing congress it s about to change
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I hope you are right about that and I hope the new administration gives regulations like this one the boot.
  7. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

This just goes to show the power of the Ethanol producing Agricultural Industry. Producing Ethanol at a net energy deficit than forcing it on the population, via our own government subsidized programs. Thank you farmers, bankers and lobbyists of America for nada...........
  8. Charleston

Charleston New Member

A local marina manager here assured me that non-ethanol gas will still be available in 2017. But he didn't give me his source of that info.
  9. Charleston

Charleston New Member

10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

And who brought us this 'big idea' of big increases in ethanol fuel gasoline??
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

No idea, never paid much attention with an electric boat and 2 electric cars.
    Now that I have a gas boat however, the horrible ethanol idea all of a sudden becomes my problem:(
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Two or three years ago, al gore admitted publicly that th reason politicians in Washington supported and imposed ethanol in the late 90s was to get votes in the mid west.
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Wow, was that under a GOP or Democrat admin...?
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hmmm. Al Gore... Vice President of the United States 1993-2001 ? You know... the guy who goes around the world preaching against global warming in private jets, driven in gas guzzler limos and suburban and living in a 20 000 sq ft mansion with a power bill higher than the average person salary.

He basically admitted that he supported ethanol so he could get more votes in his failed White House bid
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, I know about Al Gore, but your conment did not specify who or which party, only politicans: They are on both sides and this was not, according to your comment, about clean air or less gasoline, just politicians looking for votes..
    If indeed Al Gore is behind this, I will take him off my X-card list.
    (He came to my flight school in middle Tennesse in 1978 shaking hands and looking for local votes, wrong crowd, we could not vote and had no clue about US politics, 8 Norwegian students going FAA CPLs)