Click for Comfort Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Glendinning

Engine sinc problem

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by Jrms80, Nov 18, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jrms80

Jrms80 Member

Turn engine sinc on/off at the lower helm works fine. Go to the tower and the switch doesn't work. I changed the tower switch no different. The tower green sinc light is on when lower helm switch is on. Pulling the tower switch out and pushing it in just causes the green light to flicker but doesn't effect the operation of the sinc system at all i.e. If it's on it stays on and can not be shut off. If it's off at the lower helm the green light in the tower is off and will not come on.

Any ides on what to try next? Is it possible the lower helm switch is bad?

My switch set up is on the left.

image.png
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Schematic is correct.
    One of the two stations is wired wrong or the wrong type of switch.
    I can assume it's never worked correctly or somebody has been working on it.

Check the manual for a switch spec like SPDT. Install two new high quality switches as the schematic. Note, pins 1 & 2 do not connect the same at each station.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The real life operation is not real pretty.
    When the bottom switch is pulled, the sync works & lights on, Leave it out and go to the bridge, switch is in but light in on. To turn sync off from the bridge, pull switch. Sync off and light should go out. Go back to the lower helm, light is out, switch is out (as on bridge), push switch in and light & sync on.
    Go back to bridge, Switch out, light on, Push switch in, light & sync off.
    Repeat;
  4. Jrms80

Jrms80 Member

I ordered and received the switch from glendining so hopefully it's correct. I could try swapping the position of the two wires on the two post side of the switch. The only other thing I can think of is changing the lower helm switch too. Unless the new switch they sent me failed the same way the old switch failed. Highly unlikely Imo. I don't understand how to check the switch itself, not sure how it's suppose to work and diagram doesn't show the switch internal layout.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

One common post switched between to load post.

sw.jpg
  6. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Call Glendinning, they are extremely helpful and patient, no matter how old your rig is.
  7. Jrms80

Jrms80 Member

Turns out the lower helm has the wrong switch installed. It a 3 leg switch but it takes power from one leg and switches it to both other legs at the same time. So there is no power in the tower until the lower helm is turned on and then BOTH legs in the tower have power so it was just switching from hot to hot. Which is why I couldn't turn it on from the tower or off if it was on from the wrong switch from below.

I can't reach the switch to change it out so I put both tower legs on one post so at least I can now turn the sinc off from the tower if I need to which was my biggest concern. I'm gonna live with it like this for now, at least I know what's wrong...

I did call Glendinning. They were great! Wonderful customer service!
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Thx for the update.