Click for YF Listing Service Click for Comfort Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Burger

Engine room systems design parameters (safety.)

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by RobVer, May 8, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobVer

RobVer New Member

Marmot.
    I see your confusion. And I am sorry for it. But at no time have I stated anywhere that any of the basic rules of good practice of engineering are "codified by IACS"...or any other organization for that matter. Sorry. As I said before. If you cannot read English, then I cannot help you. Sorry.
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Do you know what IACS means? Do you know what "codified" means? I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you really are an adult with a background in the marine industry but now I too have to go along with Carl and ask if you really are 12 years old or are you just terminally stupid as well as argumentative? Do you read the crap that leaves your keyboard?

Your use of the 25 meter breakpoint was one red flag, your use of the term "certification societies" is another and now your apparent inability to understand the organization of class societies and rulemaking indicates this whole thread is some kind of peculiar device to satisfy some rather seedy need of yours to garner attention.

This really is degenerating to the old "wrestling with pigs" scenario ... you seem to be enjoying the attention a bit too much.
  3. RobVer

RobVer New Member

Listen Marmot: Your initial technical comments clearly show that you are not now, nor can you ever be, a 'marine engineer'. That is not my fault. So, as such, you and the others you keep mentioning, are simply not invited. And I'm not going to embarrass myself or you by taking your comments to pieces and showing how demonstrative they are. I apologise for my lack of stamina in this. Take it as a win for yourself and be happy. :)
  4. RobVer

RobVer New Member

OK .......... you got me ......... you are RIGHT ...... it's actually 24m something on the load line. I apologise for rounding up. I am sorry. :p
  5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

:mad: yawn:mad:
  6. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

wow.......
    I can't believe this drivel continues.
  7. TIDY

TIDY New Member

Hi Mr Rob....we guess is you! its us from 'Big Sav' you call here. Remember us we hope? What you say is perfect right. Same as you always. Its only you can shout this for us. Thank you Sir. We have all been all reading this week-end for fun! Michel and me go to your office this morning to see you. but you not there. Leila will tell you. (she helped me with this...you know I still not work well on computer!) I leave my new number. Please call me or come the ship
    But why you waste your time on septics? no need to waste more time or showy more to them..all only plastics . Remember we go fix Imagine problem? they like plastic baby toy and they never even say thank you!
    Our 'baby' old man is still very nice with us. He hate you really so much! Really anr owner is still laghing about it. We never forget you.
    Luv from 'bilge rats' :D
  8. RobVer

RobVer New Member

Hi Yar. I will call you, and come see you lot, but later this week when I am down there, and you have my number again now if you need me. Shall look forward to that. It's so boring on this job! Leila tells me you are getting fat now. You know what that means! :p
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Plus one on that
  10. HONGKONG

HONGKONG Senior Member

Enough is enough

25 minutes of my life has been lost forever, spent in the reading of this thread, please please admin, it's like looking at an accident on the highway...shut this guy off!
  11. RobVer

RobVer New Member

I agree.
  12. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

#chuckle# Being one of those marine engineers who lives and breaths the class rules on a daily basis, I did some multi-tasking; whilst reading the entire extent of this highly entertaining thread, I browsed the requirements for fuel oil tankage, piping and related items in various books that were immediately close to hand.

IMO HSC 2000
    ABS Guide for Building Classing Motor Pleasure Yachts
    ABS High Speed Naval Craft Rules
    DnV High Speed Light Craft Rules

Ineterestingly, I found consistency between them all with regard to where you cannot put tanks, to what standards and levels they must be pressure tested, when, where and what valving is required...etc etc.

No mention of gravity feeding....certainly no requirements for it. There are specific requirements that, for a tank that could 'gravity drain' by siphon or otherwise in the event of a piping failure, would imply additional valves be fitted and located for easy emergency access, and even means and structure for the secondary containment for the volume of fuel that could escape the tank. To me, the suggests that gravity feed is not prohibited, per se, but that the additional requiements put on make it less attractive.

Apologies in advance if I'm just stirring a burnt pot, Carl.:D
  13. Ken Bracewell

Whew.
    Thanks very much for answering a question that was posed many times- this is useful information.
    Now let's lock the thread (I propose deleting all the drivel) and move on.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Whilst doing my main job ( the one I get for) today.

I scoured Lloyds SSC Rules for the same info and could not find anything that says you must or musn't have gravity feed to your consumers.

I have no problem with Gravity feeding of them and understand like many that things onboard like fuel leaks are something that might happen but situational awareness is a big key to this type of thing getting out of hand.

The pressure in a Gravity fed F.O. Pipe in the Engine room isn't exactly going to spray fuel all over the place.

I am also in favour of this post getting locked or dumped as it really has run it's course to put it mildly.

It's your call Carl.
  15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

No, the pressure is not great but as I stated early on, the risk of feeding a fire exists. This is not just a theoretical risk, it is all too often referenced in casualty reports as a source of fuel in difficult to extinguish engine room fires.

The topic is interesting and others may have contributions so I don't think it should be locked but I do think this RobVer character has fouled his nest and should be blocked altogether.
  16. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I can't lock the thread right now because I'm on my iPhone, at lunch, utilizing gravity feed to fuel my empty stomach.
  17. Ken Bracewell

I've eaten with you before- it's more like a high pressure pump :p
  18. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I haven't had the pleasure of sharing a bunkering session, but as far as nautical similes go, coalburners might offer the best selection; stokers, firebox, coal chute, shoveling it in ... the mental images are vivid.
  19. Ken Bracewell

I'm just poking fun. Carl has a figure to uphold.
  20. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That statement is certainly subject to several interpretations ... :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.