Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Walker

Engine Room Camera Question

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Trinimax, Jan 22, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

hello good morning all.

I am planning to install 4 cameras in the engineroom of the 43 Ocean. My plan is to connect the cameras to a spare input on my garmin 740s using a RCA vide splitter, which will take the 4 camera inputs and then produce one video output which will connect to the GPS unit. My question is, does anybody know of a RCA video splitter that has automatic switching between inputs. That way the 4 cameras will keep showing up on a running loop.

thanks in advance for the help
  2. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

Trinimax, I can't help with your question. But if you are snaking wires up to the flybridge, let me know how they are run. I need to run some stuff up there and haven't figured out the route yet.
  3. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

There are several commercially available but most are powered by an AC adapter (transformer). I always want mission critical things like that on DC so I've always searched for ones that use 12VDC after the transformer. We just wired the box into it's own 12VDC breaker without the transformer. If you'll be patient, I will dig through my records tomorrow and see what model I used on YF member Mark Woglom's Lazarra, maybe in the morning? Just got back from the travel nurse getting a battery of shots for an upcoming trip to Liberia to reassemble a boat and feeling a touch out of it!

I also remember having to set up the camera power feeds a little different with the multi gang box. The low light Raymarine ER cameras we used (to Garmin 8000 series MFD's) are fed 12VDC over the coax but we ended up feeding them individually before the box rather than on the common between the box and MFD's because they took a few seconds to power up and auto range on the light levels/brightness. They were "flaring" at startup each time the box switched inputs and it was very distracting!
  4. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

5. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

The one we used on that prior boat doesn't have enough inputs for you Trinimax but this one should work, it has eight BNC inputs, is 12VDC powered (you'll just have to cut the transformer off the plug and wire it into a 12VDC source, center pin is positive!). Shinybow model # SB-5440BNC. As I mentioned we also used the Raymarine Cam 100 cameras and powered them between the camera and distribution box, fused individually of course!
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Some cams are sensitive to voltage and dont work well connected directly to a boat DC system,

An alternative is to use computer UPS which will give you up to 30' of back up power. I use them on sat receivers so they dont have to reboot when transferring power
  7. Bill Collector

Bill Collector New Member

8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

9. ReelPlumber

ReelPlumber Member

The 2 Furuno machines installed on my boat have 2 each bnc connections for camera's. I put one in the engine room, one in the cockpit and one on the bow. It's not necessary to leave the lights on in the engine room but it makes for a better picture if you do. I also ran a HDMI cable down to the salon TV to display my main machine there.

This is the camera I got off Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/EWETON-Secur...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5MYSAZTPHX3F3WZHFCVS

Here are a couple of pics

16974_resized.jpeg 16968_resized.jpeg

I can also use my main machine from the salon via a wired remote.
    20160312_185517_resized_1 (2).jpg
  10. rbmurray210

rbmurray210 New Member

How is your TV used as a wired remote? What kind of system you using?

I like it!
  11. ReelPlumber

ReelPlumber Member

The TV is only used as a display. Furuno has wired remote panel that I put next to the salon door so that when I'm in the cockpit fishing I can use the machine as if I were at the helm. As long as I can see the TV I can use the remote to scroll around on the screen and do anything with the machine.
    furuno-MCU002.jpg