Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn

Engine controls

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Brian F Evans, Apr 11, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Brian F Evans

Brian F Evans New Member

Genuine newbie question here.
    I have been driving twin outboards, and a quad-engine diesel jetted barge for many years.
    I am researching a future "dreamboat", and noticed that many of the twin engine diesels have 2 sets of controls.

Is there a separate control for throttle and transmission?
    If so, is the transmission controls simply F N R? Or is more like a clutch for a bit of slip?

Thank you!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You've got it correct., but they have that for all types of boats (recreational & commercial). Most modern boats go with a single lever control though (some electronic). Some are moving toward joy sticks on larger yachts and smaller ones with Zeus & IPS. Most interesting one I've run had a long, heavy handle on each side of the helm of an LCM. You had to throw your full weight behind your push into forward or reverse and then turn the handles to advance the throttles.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Drove a real (small) paddle wheeler. Two sets of rudders and tandem. Two in front and Two behind the paddle wheel. Levers in the wheel house (rudder house?). Big one and a little one on either side of the helm console.
    No rudder position indicators. When you wanted to center your rudders, push the controllers to beam and hold them there longer than 8 seconds. Total swing took 8 seconds. Now, reverse the rudder controls for 4 seconds and let go. Rudders centered.
    The skipper who taught me demonstrated you could move the ship (SPB) sideways with these rudders.

Started to deliver a LCM-8 last year. From Tampa, I told the new owner (Army Surplus purchas) I'd see him in a week in Jax FL. I expected 6 knots.
    I was relieved. The new owner knew anybody could drive one of these things and it would take 4 days.
    My relief made it in 9 days. 5 knots, 5 fill ups.

Getting back to the OP, There are many controls out there. Fancy electric, electronic, dual and single cables, hydraulic (Hynautic), levers & wheels. Wonder if that fly by wire steering system is still out there for small boats. I witnessed a coat hanger wire thru a deck plate for throttle (emergency rig that worked well).
    Rednecks and innovation, the possibilities are endless.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I once (just once) ran a garbage scow with the fore / aft rudders, but with no instruction. Interesting.:rolleyes: Yes, there are as many gear / throttle and steering systems out there as there are imaginations. The boat I currently run has hydraulic throttles, gears and steering. When she was in the yard for refit the marina manager moved her in the dead of winter without checking the pressures. Need I tell you where that story goes. Thankfully he had a good fiberglass guy.
  5. Brian F Evans

Brian F Evans New Member

Thanks for the info.
    Yeah, all the twins I drive, the throttle and lower unit is combined on the same control.
    Separate seems like it would be awkward while trying to cross throttle in close quarters.
    But like anything, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to get used to.
    My favorite setup is a large fireworks show barge I drive occasionally at an Orlando area theme park. It is (4) 205HP cat turbo diesel powered jet pumps, one each corner, with a 360 degree rotating vent. The most maneuverable setup possible, which is nice considering it is about 62' x 28' displacing 350K. And it passes through a draw bridge with only about 1' clearance on each side.
    Like "rcrapps" mentioned, they are servo driven. So to change direction, it takes a good 4 seconds to rotate the vents 180 degrees.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Traditional controls on most mechanical twin diesel please boats are split with transmission on one side and throttle on the other. Pretty basic and it works well. Whether cable linkage, hydraulic Or even pneumatic.melcto is controls are usually combo tranny/throttle

Speaking of pneumatic , I once lost pneumatic right after leaving the slip on a 70' alum motoryacht. Lost one side Right when needing to make a tight 90 turn... Then a few minutes later lost the other side. In that set up transmission would go back to neutral upon air pressure loss leaving up adrift in a narrow channel. Luckily the owner was mechanically inclined and able to go in the engine room and force the tranny levers in gear manually :)