Click for Comfort Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for MotorCheck

End of an Era

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Apr 7, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thank you. I've actually been at that point for a long time. However, it's still living life continually on call at the whims of the weather, a piece of equipment and an owner who might sell or change plans at any minute whether you'll earn a living this week or this year. Then there's that one mistake that can cost not only your career, but your home as well or the weather or that guy who puts his brain on vacation that may cost your life. Plus, as you get older, doctors tell you to take pills. Who knows which one will give you a failed pee test leaving you open to all sorts of liability. Fortunately, where I took my career, for the most part, one doesn't actually need a license. It's just proof that you can do the job, like having a college degree. I still have my reputation, but without a license my liability goes way down.
    Of course since I made the decision I've gotten all sorts of calls and Old Phart hit me in my sorest spot when he said "Someday, someone may ask you to do the loop." I've done most pieces of it, but my dream was always to do the entire loop before I retired. But I've waited 24 years for that call and it didn't come. If it comes in the future I'll have to do it without a license and just my knowledge. It would probably be more fun that way anyhow.

BTW, Happy Easter and Passover to everyone.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I first tried to retire when I sold my business at 38, and have tried several times ever since. Each time I end up working harder. I just can't seem to get the hang of it. At least I've been able to combine my work with my recreation, which makes vacations a lot less necessary.:) I look on retirement as doing what you want, when and where you want. So in a sense I've been retired most of my life. The rocking chair will probably come along about the same time as the funeral director.
  3. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Congrats on coming to the decision you did. As one who retired a little over a year ago, and didn't renew any of my licenses, it was one of the best decisions of my life.

I wish you much success in your future.
  4. travler

travler Senior Member

i wish you the best in your change of corse i went from 35 years as a tuna boat capt two a few years on yachts (i did not fit there well it's hard to take orders when you ran the boat's your way far to long ) and now watching the paint dry and the crew pays attention are they don't last

cheers travler
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Best of luck to you Ed. It's only once you make the decision to retire, and it's a life changing one indeed.

You have been a great and invaluable resource of input, knowledge, history, banter, opinion, and anything in between for the forum. While we've agreed to disagree on topics, I will say I've learned a few things from your posts and contributions to the forum. Thank you for that. 20+ years professionally as a Captain earns one heck of 'street cred' badge and no doubt, respect.

Enjoy your next venture. Enjoy a different pace for a bit. With 55 years on the water, I'm sure there are a few stories that would wash down nicely with a bite to drink, as Carl would say.

All the best.
  6. W. Arthur

W. Arthur New Member

Ed it is always (well... almost always - lol) great to read your posts. :cool:

Email we shared end of last year was real good in getting to know you. ;)

Get It On Man!! - Art :D
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

What he said..

Good luck to you, I am envious.
    Running a marina will certianly be a challange but you've been there before and in the end it is what you make it.
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Ed,

I've postponed responding, trying to find the right words. Jasen found 'em! You're a big part of this community. Along with a sense of fairness, your perspective has brought balance. You've also shown how a true gentleman conducts himself and we would be at a great loss if you hung up your hat.

(Hell, you're the first New Yorker I ever liked!) :D
  9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Something like that 'coppertone experience' :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

Don't get too far, cap'n. They can't have too much of Internet outages at that marina, especially with you managing it, huh :p
  11. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Good luck Ed. Enjoy and keep in touch.