Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Walker

Elling 49' E4 Review...

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by YachtForums, Feb 26, 2014.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I toured the Elling E4 at FLIBS 2013. The YF 'view' counter for picnic, lobster or express cruiser reviews has never spun like an odometer in a chop-shop, but the Elling E4 was a boat worthy of coverage. While many of our readers have an interest in bigger boats, I think it's important to recognize innovation in the market. And value.

If you've looked at the usual suspects in the day boat category and found yourself dismayed to the point of disdain by prices completely out of touch with reality, then you'll better understand why we chose to cover this boat. It's built like a tank and it won't break the bank.

Congrats to Judy on a well done review.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Why does the one upside down have Cummins on the side and the reviewed one has Volvo engine controls and door mat?
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Doesn't fit the definition of a boat we're after but it's uniqueness makes it very interesting and attractive. It has added features and capabilities without sacrificing others. The thought that crossed my mind was "It's different but not in a weird way." I think that's a real challenge to builders of how to be innovative but not in such a way as to turn off the general audience. I remember being pleasantly surprised the first time I did a virtual tour on their site and several times thinking "what a cool idea." I guess I like innovation without making me uncomfortable and it seemed to do that.
  4. JWY

JWY Senior Member

The description of the engine photo in the review says, "In addition to the Volvo 435hp, Elling offers several power plant options including a wing engine for plan B. " Cummins is one of the optional engines offered and the rollover vessel was ordered with a Cummins.

The Elling (with Cummins engine) being used for the roll-over is a standard Elling which will be delivered to the client shortly after cleanup. The only modifications being made for the capsize are the loose hatches in the soles will be removed...and Anton will be strapped into the helmseat.

Judy
  5. Jklotz

Jklotz New Member

I watched a couple of youtube vids about it. VERY interesting boat. One thing I couldn't really get a handle on though was the engine bay. The enclosed space in the galley looked ok for an oil change, but anything beyond that seemed like you'd have to take the entire starboard side of the galley apart. It could have just been the vids I saw though, they mainly focused on the aesthetics. It'd be interesting to see one that focused on the systems access.
  6. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Affirmative.