Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

El Faro Update

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by olderboater, Nov 12, 2015.

1. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Capt J, I understand that it doesn't matter to you where El Faro was getting its weather info; you've already made it clear what you think the Captain's culpability is. I'm still undecided about the Captain's culpability. There are too many unknowns for me to decide, so obviously our thresholds are different.;) It still matters to me where El Faro was getting its weather info.

As far as TV stations being "accurate to a T," that is within that wide cone of uncertainty and depending on which model you chose to believe. Once again, does anybody know where El Faro was getting its weather info?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Leeky, what I meant by that comment is that all of the weather reports were the same. The Hurricane did exactly what it was forecasted to do for the 4 days prior.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culpability

Weather info from?, I'm sure not from China.
    Not sure if you know of a less accurate weather source that only he (the captain) was listing to.

All (Tote and captain) knew weather was awaiting them when the ship left JAX. All the local weather models were close at that time. What the storm would do (the weather models) closer to Georgia was a bit spread.

In the original thread of this incident, I asked if the skipper was related to the Bounty skipper.

Another Lieutenant Dan (movie Gump) and Tote let him do it?

With another thought, maybe Lieutenant Dan (ships captain) was unaware of how bad of condition his ship was really in before he pulled his stunt.
    Shame on him twice.

Again, personal thoughts on my part. But relax, we all know if a few people did not screw up, this would not have happened. (duh). People screwed up and this did happen. There were only a couple of people in charge (on the ship) that could have made a difference.
    #1 different idea, NOT to be where they were.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The other thing is nobody on the El Faro can talk. Tote I am sure has been talking to their lawyers since the instant the ship sank. They I'm sure just like any other company is covering their behind and only releasing what information they have to.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What can Tote really say or not say? What related info could they hide?
    It's damage control, They still have a business to run.
    Yes, ship past muster before it left the dock. Would of been due for a major inspection when it came back. Ship was scheduled for a sale and replacement. Darn ship was going back to the north pacific (calm seas?).
    Tote phone people were as aloof as the coast guard guy.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Possibly that they put pressure on the Captain to sail that route or else.......things like that......who knows......
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I found this on my dashboard today.
    Link should take you to the video.
    You can go to "news DOT usni DOT org" for the full story