Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay

Do's & Dont's to Buying 1st Hatteras to Live Aboard

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Jeremy Howard, May 24, 2016.

1. Jeremy Howard

Jeremy Howard New Member

Hello all and thanks in advance for any input on this thread. I am 33 years old, live in Jupiter, FL with my dog and my girlfriend is pressuring me for her to move in. As it's always been my dream to live aboard, and I'm not yet ready for the girlfriend to move in, I have decided that I am selling my house and buying an old Hatteras to restore.

From the minimal research thus far, I feel as if it makes sense to buy a 42'-53' Hatteras Sportfish or Convertible. I also believe, given my abilities, price point (<$75K) and with an end goal in mind, that ideally the boat will have a solid hull and deck and quality diesel motors and electronics but the interior will need a lot of work.

If anyone has any input for me on this purchase, what to look for, what not to do etc. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again and cheers.

Jeremy
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Selling your house to discourage a GF sounds a bit extreme but I guess you're looking for boat advice, not relationship counseling :)

Refitting, restoring, etc... A boat like this requires a lot a effort, skills along with cash... Not for the inexperienced. Hull and engines are two big items but useless unless the electrical, plumbing, bilge system, etc are uo to the job. And that's a lot more involved than homedepot junk...

The best advice is usually to find th best boat you can find, and afford, where most of the work has been done
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

A 43 DC model late 70's or early 80's just perfect for a single guy to live on, and within your price range, all the other issues that Pascal mentioned are of course valid and important, just depends on what you really want.
  4. Jeremy Howard

Jeremy Howard New Member

Thank you Pascal, the more I research these boats the more it scares me to restore one. If I spend $75-$100K on one that's been restored and we'll maintained, I guess the goal is that when it comes time to sell her that I get at least that out of her.

P.S. I was mostly kidding about the GF.
  5. Jeremy Howard

Jeremy Howard New Member

I have only been looking at SF and convertibles...haven't looked at the DC models yet but need to tour one to compare the pros n cons of both. You lose the fishing area in the back with a DC but gain living space. Any other major differences?
  6. Jeremy Howard

Jeremy Howard New Member

Thus far I really like the 43 SF with galley down.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Do not underestimate what additional you'll have to spend after the purchase. Whatever your total budget is, then what you can pay to purchase the boat is substantially less.
  8. FIQ

FIQ Member

Whatever boat you pick, the survey will give you a rough idea what you will have to do.

Most insurance companies require that you take care all of the criticals within 30 days after purchase.

You can also figure out the cost of the of the other items and figure out if you have the skill set to do the work yourself or

have to farm it out.

Your boat may be tied to the dock for awhile!
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There's also the little matter of ditching an appreciating asset as the market is rising, and trading it for a depreciating asset that can suck money like a whirlpool. The two fastest way for a guy to get rid of his money are with a mistress or a boat. Boats are for "extra" money. 30 year old women can be a lot cheaper to maintain and support than a 30 year old boat.

Now if you said you had the skills to rebuild these boat, and a passion for boating that would be one thing. The substitute for those is a pocket full of cash. Also, check into live aboard regulations and limitations. The topic has come up often here, especially in Florida.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Where???
    I missed something when I was looking at 30 year olds.
  11. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I think it costs about double to fix the boat up yourself vs buying one that is already fixed up. There are many jobs you can likely do yourself but that doesn't change the fact that parts and supplies are very expensive. Many jobs like overhauling a diesel engine or transmission or pipe welding simply require a professional to do the work. When I purchased my 54' Bertram, I couldn't afford to buy one that was already fixed up and I don't regret the purchase but it certainly cost more in the long run.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Uh, ah, er,, There may be some depending thoughts on that;
    How much can the new owner really do himself and does he have the time?
    When we picked up our Bert, I installed all the A/Cs, Heads and sanitation, Two gen-sets, Rebuilt two ROs, Majored the stb main, Water heater, electronics after a lightning hit, and lots more thru the years.
    I could not of afford a turn key boat, but ready to rebuild what we purchased (at correct price).
    12 years later, she still needs some cosmetic work but we can go anywhere on 2 minutes notice (pending fuel & rum levels) and have done so.
  13. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You can save by DIY. However, how do you value your time? If this is something you enjoy doing and consider pleasure, then fine. But if you consider it work, then time has value.
  14. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

You are also, I think, the exception to the rule.

There is a boat in the yard next to me.
    We both bought our boats over 20 years ago.
    Mine needed work ( not as much as yours, thank Heavens ) and his was a hull.
    I have been running around the Bay for 20 + years.
    His has yet to see the water.
  15. g collis

g collis Member

Ralph at our age we have to take whatever will take us. Be it 30 year olds or 70 year olds. LOL
  16. g collis

g collis Member

I have a galley down on my 55' SF Hatt. Makes for a really great salon. I love it. You should have little trouble locating an older 43' SF in great condition for your price range.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

But cheaper than a boat? LOL
  18. KiddnAround

KiddnAround New Member

Well Jeremy, what do you want to know! Looks like you and I are not far off from each other's situation. I am 37, part- time live aboard with my pup Brooklyn Hatteras Kidd "Hattie." I have a 1975 43 Double Cabin that I have put a lot of sweat equity into. (I can address the girlfriend later).

Here is my take on what your looking for and you can hit me up for any other details.

Overall you can't go wrong with a Hatteras. My boat still turns heads. I will dock next to a new SeaRay and 9 times out of 10 I have a group of people wanting to take a tour of my boat.

The key is to find a solid boat with good bones. I am the third owner and have had Kidd'nAround for 3 years. I had the same idea as you and that was to find a solid boat that just needed some cosmetic updates. Even though I found exactly that, there was a surprise in the nickel and dime items that I didn't expect. I would consider myself very handy and I have completed most of the work myself. I have learned where to sub out for help.
    I had a marine survey completed, but I found out that they missed quite of few things. Even with the best survey you will need to prepare for things just breaking. As soon as you finish one project, you turn around and it's something else breaking. For me, I enjoy the challenge if fixing it and this is typically how I plan my next project. It gives me a chance to upgrade it or replace it to new. If your looking to buy a boat, update a few things and relax with a beer then you might want to reconsider being a live aboard. You will always have a half page to-do list. Don't get me wrong I have my fair share of fun and use.

My only engine experience is with the Detroit 671 diesels. My engines have about 1700 hours and have not given me any issues. I had to replace the fuel line hoses due to old age. Some general maintenance, but they are exactly what everyone says, bullet proof. I think everyone would agree that whatever you decide, get diesel. Gasoline engines just don't compare.

With most boats this age you will spend a lot of time updating plumbing. Hoses, pipes etc just tend to rust or give out over time. I have replaced most of my old copper lines with PEX. It gives me an opportunity to minimally winterize in the winter.

Another area I have spent a deal of cash was with electrical. If you are choosing a boat around the same age as my boat then the technology of the day didn't didn't have a good reputation of DC power. I was having to run my generator at all times just to have lights and run the refrigerator on short trips View attachment 76332 . Be prepared to add a few inverters. I have converted all of my lights to LED.

I guess the big ticket items that I didn't expect was things like having my props reworked. It was $500 each prop. Having the boat pulled for any work done is $240 out and $240 back in. Not including if you need to be in the yard for any amount of time. Living in the Midwest these numbers might vary from you.

As for the girl and the house.... My girl gave it one season and then was out. "Me or the boat," I wish her luck!

Not sure your situation, but I started listing my house on AirBnB. It gives me the opportunity to keep my house and some cash to help pay for the boat. Just a thought!

Good luck with your search and let me know if you have anymore questions!

Dustin
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  19. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Dustin,

Good story, Nice looking boat, great hot tube.
  20. KiddnAround

KiddnAround New Member

Thanks! The pool is a great addition on a hot day.