Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

Do you own an SUV, and do you like it?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Blue Ghost, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Yes Chris, it's an Avalanche, had one of those old guy's brain fade moments! When I finally noticed it the edit function had timed out.
  2. Knight

Knight Member

I have an 07 gmc 3/4 ton Yukon XL 6 liter, and an 08 gmc 1 ton duramax. Love them both. Pulled over 20k lbs with both. 6 liter struggles a little, duramax...umm I had to remind myself I was pulling a trailer.
  3. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    I have had many SUV's Toyota Highlanders, Lexus RX 330 and 350' Buick Enclave and currently a Porsche Cayenne. I have to say I am partial to the Porsche for reliability, with snow tires it is fantastic winter driver. Lots of space to haul stuff to the boat.
  4. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of emission standards and actually like VW for trying to cheat the government. I like the Tourag (sp?), although I bought the Porsche Cayenne S instead. Same platform. I only buy Porsches or Mercedes. Parents are basically the same since the 1970's until now. I've had zero problems with either manufacture and neither has my parents. What I like about Porches and Mercedes. Is the quality remains long after the price is forgotten! Sure dealer service and inspections at Mercedes can be expensive. But it maintains the warranty against rust. Sure price wise Mercedes do depreciate here in North America. But one thing that makes them more expensive to service is here their service advisors and techs are not on a commission like the Ford dealer or other American and Japanese franchise dealers. 9 times out of 10, Mercedes will fix things and not even bill or tell me. The exterior body warranty isn't as long as 20 years ago. But I have my Dads 1991 560SEL, he bought new. Since its been dealer serviced its entire life and all inspections done. The dealer will professionally repair any chips or scratches when in for an oil change. Rust on a bumper, they'll even replace the bumper free. Sure it might be old now, but kept detailed and serviced its still a great car, looks and feels new still. American and Jap cars in a few short years they are just old junk.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't know. I have a customer with a Porshe 911, I think it's a 2004, it cost him $850 at one of the largest dealers to replace the battery. The cost of the battery was just $350 of the bill. Their customer service sucked and his manager had to keep calling and calling them, they forgot the appointment they made, etc. etc. I can go to Ford with my expedition and a battery is put in, in 30 minutes and they don't charge anywhere's near $500 to install it!
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I had an early Merc M-class. Dreadful thing that rattled and shook like a tin can in a tumble dryer. Never again.

I've had Land Rover/Range Rovers for years, thats because they are mainly used off-road and tracks, not doing huge road mileage. Not sure what I'd buy new but would probably be looking at a Subaru SUV.
  7. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Agreed. The early M's were terrible. I have 2 later models in the current fleet (along with 2 E's - a sedan and a 4matic wagon) My ML350 gas lives in FLL as a mostly abandoned car, and an ML320 bluetec diesel every day driver which I really like. I drove MB diesels for years, 2 decades ago. The modern bluetec bares no resemblance. Tons of power on acceleration.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I guess I'm one of the few who has never developed any real attachment to any brand of car or suv. Each time I purchase, it's what do I want now. It's likely to be different than what I did last time.
  9. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Wow, promoting corrupt corporate policies for profit where we all lose, amazing perspective in today's so called educated world.......:(
  10. Belle

Belle Member

My dream car was always my Porsche 911 and yet, when that news came out, I was so totally disgusted with Porsche, so ashamed to even own one, I almost sold mine on the spot. I did call and write and I did encourage the biggest fine possible. Then I read here where someone writes that they are a fan of them for trying to cheat? Fan of illegal activity to take advantage not just of governments but of all their competition and of all their customers? Fan of corrupt business practices? Well, I'm not. I was and still am totally angry over it. Porsche didn't just cheat our government, they lied to and cheated every one of us and the only thing I find more disgusting than their actions is the attitude that they should actually be admired for doing so.

I seldom post here any more, but this one wasn't something I could ignore. Here, on Christmas Day, I still believe in Santa Claus and I still teach kids the right way and I still support morality and honesty and I find our acceptance of lying, cheating, duplicity and dishonesty on the part of businesses, governments, politicians and elected officials deplorable. I felt and still feel personally violated by the actions of Porsche and disgusted that the leaders of the company weren't booted to the curb for these actions.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Could you please tell us what is the problem with your 911?
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Sadly 60% of the US thinks the other way. Cheating and mis-truths get a free hat and a cuddle from a furry party favour. For the next 4 years.
  13. Belle

Belle Member

No problem with my 911, just a problem with the company that chose a plan of trickery and deceit and violation of laws. My car is incredible but the stench of the company and it's management hangs over it. My pride of ownership sure took a shot to the gut.
  14. Belle

Belle Member

Now I'm back to enjoying this day with 150 kids like myself.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Could you then please tell us what the Porsche management have done..?
  16. olderboater

As she is currently driving (not her Porsche), I'll respond.

I assumed everyone knew they used a defeat device to circumvent emissions control standards so it would sense when being tested for emissions and activate but the pollution controls would remain inactive in normal use and driving. This was used on Volkswagon, Audi and Porsche cars. Even when caught, they lied about it as the investigation dug deeper and deeper.

It's one thing to build and ship a car that doesn't meet US Environmental regulations, but quite another to program software that will circumvent the testing and make it appear that it does. From the outset of the investigation, the Group showed a complete lack of integrity. Made Audi's slogan of "Truth in Engineering" look pretty ridiculous. The partial settlement which includes buyback and alteration of cars plus pollution mitigation is up to $14.7 billion plus they were compensating dealers over $1.2 billion last I read.

Cars involved were 2009 through 2016 TDI Diesels.

Now, if they correct by removing the software, you no longer have the performance you purchased. The buyback program will compensate many of the consumers with the retail value of the car as of September 2015.

Now, as to her 911 it's not directly affected but the pride of ownership is sure impacted. As long as current management remains, neither of us will ever purchase another VW, Audi or Porsche product. While the company has been held accountable, the executives have not been.
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hmm, you are talking about some Porsche Cayenne Diesel cars with Audi 3 L engines..? This will not really make me feel bad about my 911...
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, but now they're (EPA) looking into their gas motors and last I heard some of them might have the computer "programmed" the same way to get around emissions standards. The jury is not out on that one yet.

I've heard they're paying a really well price for anyone that wants to trade in their TDI to Vw, then destroying the cars. If the computer is re-programmed on the TDI's to meet emission standards all of the time, the performance and fuel mileage REALLY suffer from what people have told me.

Personally I think the EPA standards on diesel automobiles are too stringent and really taking the advantages of a diesel engine away and making cost of maintenance MUCH higher for owners, and vehicles more problematic. Many owners need the diesel for what they're doing with the vehicle (towing etc.).
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We are a little off topic now, but today I read about a new scientific research on air pollution here in Sweden. They stated that wood heating in our cities, which is referring to open fireplaces since all have central heating, is causing more deaths from air pollution than traffic! Including all cars, trucks, buses, their exhausts, brake dust and particles from studded tires... And also twice as many deaths as from road accidents! Guess where the priorities have been...?
  20. olderboater

I'm not talking about a specific vehicle. I'm talking about a company. I choose to do business with companies that choose to comply with laws and don't try to cheat.

As to whether the EPA requirements are reasonable or should exist, that's also completely beside the point to me. They are the laws. The company swore they were complying. They were dishonest. Simple to us. We have no respect for the leadership of the company.