Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Disappointing survey today...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Norseman, Oct 23, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why are you so set on this Albin 28 when you've surveyed 2 of them and they both surveyed poorly? IMO Albin should've stuck strictly to sailboats. I'd take a look at Island Hopper 31's as they're a solidly built boat, very beamy and comfortable on the hook, built strictly for the commercial industry. Newton may be another good choice although probably too large. Strike 29's might be a consideration but cabin probably too small. Pheonix's and Blackwatch 29's are other solid boats. Old 36' Hatteras SF are also beamy and roomy and solidly built.
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

The Albin 28TE checks all my boxes so I am kind of stuck on the idea.
    With over 1000 built, there should be (are) some nice ones out there and I am willing to pay more for a good one.
    That being said, I am open-minded and will investigate what you suggested.
    Being a sailboat guy, I am kind of new to powerboats and owners who ignores preventive maintenance but rather threat their boats like a car.
    In many cases on a sailboat, you can tell from initial appearance that the boat has been cared for, or not.
    In this case, the subject boat of this thread, the boat looked clean on initial inspection, but had numerous important issues that only showed up during the survey and sea trial.
    My bad, I should have been more careful before I wasted $800.
    Next time I will crawl all over the boat with a microscope before I sign a contract to buy based on survey and sea-trial.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You're doing things 95% right Norseman. I don't know the cause of your fixation on the one boat, but it's fine to keep checking them out. Every survey you have done is worth a lot more to you than it costs.

I would make one suggestion. I believe in having a buyer's broker. Let them do all the legwork. A broker commission is going to be paid anyway and while this boat isn't a huge commission, they like money at all levels. The other thing a good broker can do is just find out more about the boat from the other broker. Some issues will still only be found in survey.

You mentioned the hours on one boat. Instead of the total hours on a boat, the information I would want is the last time it was run and how many times over the last couple of years. I get concerned about the boat that has been sitting for several years with no use. On the other hand if they have used it 3 times this year and 3 last, even if they only put 10 total hours on, that at least tells me to be more optimistic regarding condition.

It sounds like you may end up getting a lower price on a boat but having work to do. Price the work out with a reputable yard. But assume only work that is identifiable and the limit is known. Tell me the steering on the bridge doesn't work and the galley cabinets need replacing and you can get an estimate. Tell me there's water intrusion and it extends as far as I can tell, I'm going to assume it goes further/deeper so the cost or repairs can't be quantified. If I'm going to gamble, Vegas please.
  4. olderboater

You didn't waste anything. That's like saying you wasted the money on car insurance because you didn't wreck or the money on life insurance because you didn't die. The $800 may have saved you many thousands.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Got a broker, an old friend.
    He is as surprised as I am about the lack of preventive maintenance and hidden flaws.
    If the boats I looked at was rotten apples he would have steered me away for sure.
    You Sir are right of course, it was not not wasted money on surveys, but rather an investment, but after cutting checks to inspect a dog or two, I realize I screwed up, should have done a better job myself poking around and perhaps asking for a boat ride before I sign the contract.
    Buyers market after all.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

And the survey gives you more insight into the next one you look at. Definitely NOT a waste of cabbage.
    Anyone have an opinion on the Yanmar vs. the Cummins ? I'd lean toward the Cummins myself but that's from my own truck engine experience more than marine use.
  7. olderboater

It's never a buyers market on the best boats, the cream puffs as you said. Even when the market is bad, someone is buying and they're buying the nicest ones. There's really a shortage of good quality well maintained used boats, those in turnkey condition.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Sure, good ones are in short supply and will be snapped up.
    The other 90% however are not in short supply and buyer's market for those.
    (I bought a bunch of Real Estate between 2008 and 2010 when it was really a buyer's market and lucked out, boats was also cheap then, guess I am in denial now as I am spoiled :cool:)
  9. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I remember the first boat I ever bought, a Catalina 18 Capri sailboat. Cherry. I called my wife to find out if she was interested and she said get an offer on it right now. She had never purchased a boat either but she knew that what olderboater says is true. Buyer's market is such a funny term. It is only a buyer's market if no one is buying, and I have never seen a market where no one is buying.
    Seems like a more rigorous pre-inspection with a nice check list may be in order in your search for your next cruiser.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, I should try harder.
    I assumed a clean looking boat was also well maintained.
    Let this be a warning to other buyers:
    Always, always hire a surveyor.
    (Not my first rodeo, been around boats as owner and proffesional operator as well as crew, but this stupid-owner stuff caught me by surprise)
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Given the size boat you're looking at and the age, 9 out of 10 of them are going to have a lot of things needing fixing, mostly small things but they add up to a lot. That's the size boat that people generally don't do preventative maintanence. They just fix something after it breaks......clean heat exchangers, what's a heat exchanger. I would ask for a seatrial or demo ride before buying or surveying. I would also look through the boat thoroughly. Personally, I wouldn't except a boat with structural issues such as soft decks, stringers, transom, etc. Or one with major engine issues unless I was getting it for 40 cents on the dollar, and even then I'd think twice about it.

Small boats, a year of neglect and you have 15 items need fixing......I have maintained a 27' whaler, 2006 since new, about 2 years ago the owner decided not to maintain it for a year and have his kids wash it. A year later, the trim cylinders on the outboard are both leaking (they never trimmed them up or down because it sat on the lift), windlass in-op, one hatch pulled hinges out, another deck hatch missing keeper, masthead light not working, gas shock on 1 fish box bad, a diverter valve broker, dive ladder missing retaining hardware, boat needing a complete compound/wax (prior to this it had never been compounded only waxed regularly). This is all within a year of neglect on a center console. Most owners of a boat that size don't know how to maintain a boat themselves, and aren't highering someone else to maintain it.
  12. JWY

JWY Senior Member

"...Any expert comments on that?..."

Survey next week.
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, under contract.
    The early bird gets the worm, you snooze you loose, etc. :cool:
  14. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I told you that you needed a good broker. I had this one in the process of contract before you posted it on YF. Sorry.
  15. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

No problem Judy.
    Not desperate, not in a hurry.
    Hope it works out for you.
  16. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Thanks, Dag. You too. Will let you know how it turns out.

J
  17. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

It's a bit off subject (and I could be biased) but then why isn't my boat selling? I believe it's because so many older boats are represented as well maintained and clean but they are not at all clean and in turn key condition.
  18. olderboater

Well, not speaking to yours, but typically a few reasons. First, it's not getting the exposure or effort. Second, it's priced too high, perhaps not above it's value, but above the normal range for that specific boat. Your point above is correct sometimes that if you have a group of similar boats, even if only average quality at best and they're priced from $1.2 million to $1.5, then a cream puff is priced at $1.75, it will be eliminated from consideration up front. It's like buying the great house that is priced above the neighborhood. Then there is always that boat that while not in disfavor, isn't the hot thing right now.

I think you have two things working against you. So few Roscioli Donzi's out there for sale close to it's age, that there's not a clear market. It's not what people ask for. While being somewhat unique on the market sounds like it should be positive, often there's just no market then. Second, your boat is stale in the market. The owner started it at an extremely high price. Now it's for sale for less than half that. However, when a boat has been on the market over 5 1/2 years people have passed it by and they see it out there still with the price dropping and their first thought is "wonder what's wrong with that boat." That happens often in real estate. Had today's price been on it when it first hit the market in 2010, then it likely would have sold by now. I don't know how long it's been listed with the current broker, but it may need someone fresh working it now, someone who can get excited and say "I just picked up this incredible listing."
  19. RER

RER Senior Member

Since you asked the question here goes... and I'm speaking in general about the type of boat not yours specifically.

When you've got what used to be a $1,000,000 boat with a cost to own and operate that a $1,000,000 buyer understands and accepts - as it gets older the value decreases at the same time the upkeep and operating costs continue to increase. In a nutshell, just about anyone who can afford the small fortune it takes to operate a 65' sportfisher can afford to, and will choose to, buy something newer than a 30 year old boat.

Additionally, boats with Detroit Diesel power, especially 16v92 power, are very difficult to sell. Buyer's perception of DD's is at an all time low. They hate 2 cycle motors. Most younger buyers won't touch them.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  20. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Report on the cream puff Albin 28: NOT! Recommend the next candidate take a sea trial with engine surveyor and check oil analysis before investing more time and money. :mad: