Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross

Dilbar - anyone knows what this is for?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Dutchyachts, Jan 25, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dutchyachts

Dutchyachts New Member

has anyone an idea what the marked feature in the picture is? Looks like a kind of sliding beam to me, but it's located behind the tender door...

Attached Files:

2. Littleboatdu

Littleboatdu New Member

The modern version of "Walking the Plank" ?:)
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It definately looks like a davit, then below it, it looks like the hull side opens to a garage.
  4. Dutchyachts

Dutchyachts New Member

At first I also thought it was a davit, but as you can see in this view, not allocated above the tender garage, but aft to it.
    you would expect a davit inside the garage? Can't see how it would work...

Attached Files:

5. nmna

nmna Senior Member

I don't know the exact technical name, but I think it's a "extensible rod" to keep the tenders away from the mother ship.

You can see the same device on Pelorus.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
  6. Dutchyachts

Dutchyachts New Member

Thanks! Didn't know Pelorus had the same feature.
    I think you mean boat whips, they look like a kind of bended fishing rods, but you see them also in the pictures of Pelorus and Dilbar, I can't imagine the are used 2 different ways to keep the tender away from the yacht.
  7. CptnMaxwell

CptnMaxwell New Member

Boat Boom / Tender pole. Does same job as a whip style but can handle larger tenders and provide more secure handling of the tender. C-Quip do a carbon one although I am sure there are many others out there.
    Maybe they use the tender pole to securely hold one end of the tender away from the vessel with a more flexible whip style to control rotation.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Notice some porch is open also, wonder if it's a safety bar protecting the fold out deck.

What a Beast!!
  9. Dutchyachts

Dutchyachts New Member

Thanks CptnMaxwell! I've read the product info on C-quip's website and I think you're right indeed
  10. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

A modern version of the boat pole. In the first picture you can see a line hanging down, this is a headline that goes to the bow of the tender. Helps with keeping the tender from sliding aft while alongside the mothership.

Whips work nicely to pull a tender away from the mothership in an athwartships direction, but cannot handle the fore and aft motion well.