Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Furuno

Diesel soot appearing on the rear of my boat?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Tam12000, Sep 19, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tam12000

Tam12000 New Member

Hi, I have a 5o ft. Navigator and I am getting a lot of diesel soot on the rear deck area after I've been running for a short time. I have a pair of Volvo TAMD63s in this vessel with about 2800 hours on them and they seem to run with in specs. and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. Also I am looking for a good reference in where I can buy some yearly maintenance parts for yearly repairs, filters, impellers, thermostats and parts like that.
    Thank you in advance for any help.
    Tom
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you want to keep real Volvo parts, Get tight with a real local Volvo shop.
    Lots of good advice when you buy their stuff.

Keep in mind, black soot is a sign of incomplete combustion. Air restriction, turbo not quite coming up top speed, low compression, low operating temperature. If your turning some speed, some soot will happen.
    Any extra weight added to the boat? New dink, dive equipment, dirty bottom, fouled or damaged props, mother in-law on board??
    Is the soot a new symptom?

Good example around here is, boat runs fine and clean, after a day of fighting big swells, the transom is trashed. That's from the engines governor giving that last lil bit driving the boat up hill (up a swell). Pouring on da fuel and just can't not burn it all.

Crude, but you can think of it as a gas engine running rich.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Is it just me or has there been a run on here recently of Posters looking for answers while providing only the barest minimum of details?

I understand the desire for brevity. But we need more than just ...I've got soot on my transom what do you think is causing it?

You don't say if the boat is new to you or what rpm you're running. Does it appear both motors are producing soot equally? If it's one side significantly more than the other I'd probably look at the injector pump. Short answer is the Volvo powered Navigators (which is most of them) are sooty. They seem to be less so if you run them harder.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It happens a lot with post# 1 when people come here just for a quick answer instead of general knowlege. They come. They go. From his request for where to buy "yearly maintenance parts" I'm inclined to think he's looking to do his own yearly maintenance. From Rcraps answer he may have started realizing that there's a reason that diesel mechanics are certified by the manufacturer. Once they started thinking about pollution control and using brains, diagnostics became complicated. Hopefully he'll continue the conversation or at least come back to update us on what his soot problem turns out to be, so others can learn (even if what's learned is that it needs to be hooked up to a computer diagnostic program).
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

They come. They go
    They come. They go
    Nah...
    Now I shooold feel comfortable.
    I am wathin' Sienfeld ...
    Already!
  6. Tam12000

Tam12000 New Member

Thank you for your time but I just bought the bought 2 months ago and I moved it 900 miles and at the end of that trip it was dirty. Maybe I don't know it good enough know how dirty is but it was in need of a good cleaning. How would you tell which engine was make more or less soot? I am new to diesel engines so I though I would come to the best site to get my information. I ran them for about 10 hrs at 2400 and the rest of the trip they ran about 1450 in the intercostal of Florida. Engines run about 175 to 180 on temps. If there is any additional information I might be able to give you, please write back and I'll try to get it for you.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  7. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Tom,

Be strong...some on here don't realize that a lot of us newbies come here for some of the best info on the net and we don't know how much we don't know. Most will supply you with the info that you need but they will also prod you into asking the right questions, it's all part of the learning process. Keep asking, you'll get your answer sooner or later. In the process you will learn lots of important peripheral info.

By the way...some will not get how little you know and have survived
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A sooted transom after a 900 mile journey isn't unusual. Get some Roll Off (not On-Off). Cleans it up easy. I believe we had those motors on a Carver I used to run, and they sooted us up pretty good. That's when I found Roll Off. You won't find it at WM. Get it on line or at an independent marine store.
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

Not sure how much soot we're talking about but I would expect some after running at 1450 for multiple days. Also it could be a factor if the boat had previously been sitting. If it's minimal, sometimes running the boat on a regular basis again will eventually clear it up.

I assume you've got side exhaust. Is there soot on the hull sides above the exhaust ports? Is it equally sooty on each side?

Again, in my experience you're going to get some soot with that boat/motor. I guess it depends on what 'some' is.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Years ago I read an article in a small boat magazine about a guy who rented a boat for a trip from Lindenhurst to Block Island (just east of Montauk Point). To get there from Long Island's south shore you basically come out the inlet and head east, keeping the coast about a mile off your left shoulder. The guy had made the trip about a year earlier. This time though he got lost because the baloons weren't there to mark his course. People like to have weddings and such on the beach, and often release balloons. They generally drop into the ocean about a mile off shore. He thought they were nav aids. When I picked myself up off the floor my mind drifted back to my early days, and how little I knew. I think that article made me a better instructor. After all these years I'm still more impressed by how little I know than by how much. There always being more to learn is one of the best things about boating IMHO.
  11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Good advice Zud!
    We can all get a bit abrupt, no harm meant.
    Peripheral info, just the words needed for that post with HTM09 and the generators, when you were posting for motors.
  12. Zud

Zud Senior Member

But now i know a little more about generators, got my questions mostly answered and no one got hurt. I love this site !!!
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I had a soot problem on the transom when running @ 1800 rpm as recommended by previous owner. Read somewhere that my Perkins should run at 70% of Max continous RPM.
    Changed to 2100 RPM and no more soot.
  14. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

You could be running those engines at an rpm just below where your turbos spool up. Most engines don't like that rpm range and often will send out some black smoke just before the turbos kick in. If you are seeing black exhaust all the time, this could be a simple cause. I would run your boat at some different rpm ranges and see if all produce the same results or not.
  15. Tam12000

Tam12000 New Member

Thanks I will try that next time I go for a cruise.