Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Walker

Delaminating gelcoat

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Echomajik, Apr 26, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Echomajik

Echomajik New Member

I'm currently looking at a 1978 42' Post and love the boat. However, I have noticed a large section on the bottom where the gelcoat is peeling off and/or missing in some patches. It's only on one side approximately under the engine. There does not appear to be any blisters. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It also looks like the hull itself is somewhat wavey (with a straight edge there is a 1/2 inch gap over four feet) again that might be normal, just asking?
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

do you have any pictures?

what you are describing does not sound good and does not sound normal to me

make sure you get a survey if you are seriously considering buying the boat
  3. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Doesn't sound right to me either. Without seeing it, hard to know for sure. But I would investigate it being a previous repair. Any signs from inside under the engine of repair work?
  4. shawn

shawn New Member

Something is not right. Sounds to me the same thing, there is a patch in the bottom. Post a few pics.
  5. My Affair

My Affair Member

Sounds like she hit a rockfish somewhere along her life or someone may have done some blister repairs?

Gelcoat pealing off could be something as simple as a repair was done with epoxy and they didn't get the blush removed when they added the gelcoat.