Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Daytona fl to ny with a sportfish

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by 41 viking, Sep 11, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 41 viking

41 viking New Member

looking to bring boat up end of sept was asking around for some advice on capt who have done this trip w a 150 mile range a day would love to hear some feed back thanks guys
  2. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Why such a short range? At what speed do you figure that range to be?
  3. 41 viking

41 viking New Member

at 20 knot cruise 7-8 hours was thought to be a comfortable trip
  4. 41 viking

41 viking New Member

50 viking with 8v92 and 800 gallons of fuel
  5. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

What rpm are you getting 20 knots? 1800? You should be burning around 50-60 gph which gives you a longer range than you figure.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Got to ask this... You re heading north in September??? Most people head south..

I m guessing the 150 nm is not range but daily target mileage So what do you want to know??
  7. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Best make the jump from St Augustine to Charleston- then you can make shorter runs. You don't want to mess around in Georgia on the ICW.
  8. 41 viking

41 viking New Member

thanks a lot guys fast feedback yes bought boat in florida now have to run up north any destinations per day with my info given would be greatly appreciated
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The ICW isn't bad in Georgia, have big tides that really help in a handful of shallow spots but with a 41 footer draft isn't going to be an issue.

Whatever route you choose, make sure you have access to active captain data on a phone or tablet to get the latest info on shoaling, anchorages and marina
  10. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

If you haven't made the run your best idea is to hire an experienced captain who has done it many times.
  11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I thought from the initial post that was what he was seeking. Now, he has me confused as to what his plans are.
  12. Captain Zemo

Captain Zemo Senior Member

Do you plan on timing this between possible storms at the end of September?
    How much time are you planning?

Sailing on a set schedule is generally a bad idea...usually, it is a good way to get into a lot of trouble.
    How many people do you plan on having onboard?

If your asking about destinations per day. You need to be careful with your new / used boat. Can you please outline your plan a little better? Have you had a chance to get to know your boat at all under different conditions? Did the boat have a survey?
  13. olderboater

Maybe Viking will clue us in as to what his thoughts are. We did Fort Lauderdale to NYC in 7 days, daylight only, but we had seven people aboard, four of whom were licensed captains and one a licensed engineer and our cruise speed was 26 knots. Plus we'd cruised this area many times.
  14. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Sounds to me like he's looking for recommendations as to where to stop along the way if he averages about 150 miles per day. You know, like a stop at this marina at this location for this reason.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

1.Daytona to Golden Isles (Morningstar Marina) Coastal Kitchen has AMAZING shrimp and grits as well as other food. The restaurant on the pier at Jekyll is very good also, but I don't like the shallow jekyll creek tide restrictions

2. Golden Isles to Charleston (Charl. City Marina) Hanks Seafood or Hall's Chophouse are both excellent.

Charleston to Southport take ICW to Wrightsville Beach, stay at Marina just South of the Bridge. Restaurant at the marina is very good.

Pop out Masonboro Inlet, to Beaufort, NC and take ICW to Oriental, NC or Elizabeth City. Restaurants at both places are good but not excellent.

Oriental, NC to Norfolk on ICW (Tidewater Marina)

Norfolk to Cape May, NJ, (take chesepeake)
    Cape May to Atlantic City or Brielle
    Atlantic City to NY..

Buy yourself a cruising guide for each area. In the Front will be distance tables as well as bridge heights and schedules. I like the Waterway Guide.

GA in ICW is NO problem in that boat provided you do it at mid tide or above. There is 8' of tide in GA. Little Mud river South of Fernandina Beach, FL is very shallow also. It is 3' in front of that defunct marina in Jekyll Island in the channel at low tide. Also, if you do it at mid tide- rising tide, going North you will stay at the same tide pretty much all day in a 20 knot boat on the ICW as high tide is around an hour later in the day every 15 miles North you go. The ICW is beautiful from Fernandina to Charleston.

Hiring an experienced Captain that is also mechanical will be the best decision you'd make. I've done this trip many times. Also, given the time of the year, I'd consider putting the boat somewhere nice in Florida....South Florida and doing the Bahamas over the winter, or Naples or Keys......and enjoying it over the winter rather than running it home and hauling it a few weeks later.
  16. Captain Zemo

Captain Zemo Senior Member

Also, you can keep an eye on Skipper Bob website. Pay attention to the waterway updates tab. This site also links to the Waterway Guide, which is very good as Senior Member Capt J suggests.

http://www.skipperbob.net/
  17. RER

RER Senior Member

Yeah not sure why you would head north in September. But if you gotta go...

Coastal Georgia is beautiful but it's a long way going on the inside there ...I would stay outside in FL and as previously mentioned straight line from Fernandina up to Charleston.
    Into Charleston and then right back outside.
    In at Southport and back outside at Wrightsville Beach.
    Inside again at Beaufort/Morehead City and up to Portsmouth/Norfolk and back outside at The Chesapeake.
    Outside from there...
    Ocean City
    Atlantic City
    Easy...
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  18. olderboater

I'm more with you. Outside to Charleston, except I'd probably go Hilton Head since I was just staying for the night. Same thing, I might do Bald Head as opposed to Southport and cut back out there. Otherwise as you said. Unless sea conditions dictated, I'd go outside from Norfolk to Ocean City or Cape May depending on range, rather that take the Chesapeake and Delaware route. If i went Cape May then I'd skip Atlantic City. Much, however, depends on crew knowledge and experience and boat condition. If one or both was inadequate then inside most of the way.

I don't like running the ICW when I'm trying to get somewhere.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah but why race up there, when you might only get 1 shot to see the ICW in Georgia/SC.

The other thing both of you guys (RER/Olderboater)are forgetting is he's in a 20 knot boat and only wants to do 150NM days. He's got an easy/safe range of 220NM on fuel. Motors burn 60 gph at 1900rpms/20 knots, he holds 800 gallons. Also running out of daylight as we get further through the month.
  20. RER

RER Senior Member

My example is based on 15 knots outside ...slower some places on the inside. Mostly only daytime running except when bypassing GA ...at least that's how I've done it.

I left out stopping at Coinjock in my earlier post.

Last time it was the end of September, southbound. So, yes the days were getting shorter. Stopped in GA on that trip. Ran on the outside past Frying Pan too.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016