Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

Cummins v8 na 320hp

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Santelia, Aug 29, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

spanners

A friend of mine met an english man and after their first date he went around to her house to fix the pool pump hoping to impress her.

She was also hoping to impress him so when he asked her to go to his car and in the boot there was a some spanners inside his wellies off she went, then she realized that she had no idea what he meant......:D
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Handcuffs???? :rolleyes:
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Ring end & open end = Combination Wrench

Ring @ both ends = Box End Wrench or Box Wrench
  4. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

As to cost of rebuild. We have a customer who was quoted 40K by Cummins to overhaul 1 of his 555 (smaller version of the 903) in a 50 foot Ocean Alexander. Cummins sold him 2 new 5.9 for 32k. After wiring, fuel, plumbing and labor he will be in for approx 70k and have 2 new engines. As to a 903 wouldn't have one.
  5. 42hatteras

42hatteras New Member

Having been doing this for a living for a few decades and as a mechanic that prefers Cummins over most,I can't imagine how an overhaul on a triple nickel could cost 40k even if we lined bored the block and bought new heads. It sounds like an intentionally very high price to get the guy to buy a pair of engines.

That being said the decision to repower with a pair of 5.9's is a good investment.They are durable,tough little engines that will last for years.
    I have been planning on repowering my Hatteras and replacing the 903's with a pair of 450hp,8.2's when the 903's give me any sign of a problem.So far after 39 years,3600 original hours,one round trip from Ct to Abaco Bahamas every year and one quart of motor oil on each leg for the port engine "none for the starboard", they still start and run like new.

It's not that I don't like the 903's,but at 6'4" and 61 years old it is beginning to get a little tight in that engine room for me.