Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck

CRM Diesel Engines?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Danvilletim, Feb 1, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Has anyone heard of 18 cylinder CRM Diesels? What's their reputation? Repairable in the us?
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Run away as fast as your feet will allow and no, good luck on any support in the states.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Forget running , take a vehicle and get as far away as you can
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I think you found some strong replies.
  5. Danvilletim

Wow! I've turned away.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ran away.
    For stuff and giggles, what were you looking at? Broker or listing address?
  7. Danvilletim

8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

9. Danvilletim

10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sad, she looked like a great ship. I'm sure the pictures are not current.
    Probably built like a Huckins. Sealed wood epoxied, fastened and fared.
    CRN home is in Italy. This wood boat is in Italy also (per the ad).
    The payroll involved keeping a ship like this one up to snuff could kill any small bank.
    Double that for the wood coring.

Captholli did mention to run quickly away. He did comment on state side support.
    K1W1 has a flair for international knowledge of engine brands and support. If he said motor away quickly cause running on foot was not fast enough, it's serious.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

3412s will probably be supported long after were gone.
    Another very pretty Italian build. Shame they (Italian designers) strayed to what their building now.
    Another high maintenance wood hull but still very pretty.

Gad, the insurance cost of these big woodies must be the real bank killer.
  12. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

14. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I don't Know, as far as a 1970 Pichiotti goes its certainly a timeless design of that period & it has had some serious re-fits and upgrades over the years it seems. By looking at the listings pictures you can see the amount of money spent on the interior joinery and fine accessories. There's new Maxwell VW series windlasses on the fore deck & LED lighting up grades with Vimar switches on the interior, Techma heads and of course the required Bang and Olufsen surround sound with remote pads in the state rooms. The machinery space has been updated with Onan Cummins Gens, looks like a newer main switch board on the fwd bulk head in lieu of the Landucci Federigo panels of that time period But, You just have to have one look at those beautiful CRM diesels with remotely mounted injection pumps over the gear boxes and eighteen VERY long injector pipes leading forward to the heads, The jumble of cooling pipe work that resembles spaghetti to get your heart and pocket book racing and the resulting cold sweats thinking about how to get to any one attachment or system on the motor you have to disassemble 4 others. I do like the placement of the chiller above the center engine as that usually ends in a "no problem water situation" sooner than later and while I'm talking about the center motor, never Have I ever come across a triple engine vessel with the hour meters synced up mirroring hours x 3 motors as the listing states . Unfortunately, the center engine in a triple installation is always the Red headed step child and usually has just a fraction of the wing engine hours for obvious reasons . On a positive engine room note: it does appear to have overhead soft patches installed from where the current motors were installed in 2000 and these soft patches are now immediately available to accommodate removal of the offending CRM units and replacing with new tier III lumps of iron.. I would estimate 1.5 million to repower as a twin removing the centerline motor and performing all of the necessary drive line shafting & girder mods to repower this vessel with Cat C-32 's or similar. other than the repower , nice looking classic Pichiotti.
  15. Danvilletim

Apparently the center engine is the one that's bad and a cost survey has been done to reconfigure w the two working engines. I'm told the pictures are current. It is a gorgeous boat you can buy $3m worth or refit for $500k or less. And likely a giant but pretty pain in the ass!
  16. captholli

captholli Senior Member

/
    Its a shame because the boat looks to have been gone through several times and the interior has been re-fit to a high level at great expense and this vessel would have sold for a much higher ask if it weren't for the CRM mains. If this vessel was re- powered with MTU 2000 series or Cats in '2000 it would have been sold pronto, however, to have that type of a vessel in the states be it the east or west coast would be a lesson in "OMG" what have I done between no frequency converter installed to plug into U.S. standard 60 Hz 240 v AC and the Euro/ Italian centric equipment aboard like the Condaria chiller and Gianneschi pumps and other non standard U.S. parts and systems. Parts can be had for these systems in the U.S. but at a very high premium compared to other brands.
    Why are you searching in the Med for a boat? Does your principal want to purchase a vessel in the Med and cruise that area for couple of years before returning stateside?
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember pre purchase work on old oil rig supply boats. The center 12v71 was always the spare source and low hour engine.

But the dive boats,, I ran with all three were flyers.
    I'll miss them.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I wonder how old th pictures are... they seem to have been taken years apart. One shows a beige hull, others a light gray and then white with some large areas slightly mismatched in tint or gloss. Never a good sign in a listing

Beautiful lines but these boats need to stay in the med with easy access to cheap labor like turkey,