Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Furuno

Crash & Burn

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by alloyed2sea, Sep 13, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Since we're taking liberties with the thread topic...

...thought I would include this safety shot from the Far East.
    It might not be nautical, but that's how China runs its airports. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The Tugboat incident reminded me on something similar I saw happening in the Port of Monaco some years ago.

It was when the Olympic Committee had a meeting on who should run the Olympic games, and Turkey was one of the candidates. They wanted to make a grand impression by taking in Savarona, the 446 foot yacht, to the inner corner of the port. To get there without having bow thrusters she got a little old tug pushing her bow sideways.

On deck was a lot of people, but most of them was watching down at the quai where an orchestra was playing some welcoming tunes. Suddenly I saw from my window above that they were about to release the starbord anchor to be able to winch themselves out later. Under the high bow was the little tug, and on foredeck of the tug was one of the two guys directing the other.

The captain on Savarona was unable to see the tug, so was the deckhand and suddenly this massive anchor fell down towards the guy on the tug. He heard the noise and took a tiger jump back over the wheelhouse, the anchor crashed down on the deck and the tug was going down with it!

I saw the stern and the running propeller up in the sky, when finally the chain took the anchor with it down and the tugboat came back up. Half filled with water, the two shaky guys managed to get it across the harbour to be lifted before she should sink from the damage... All ended well miraculously!

True story!!!
  4. YachtForums

I've got that video! It was originally sent to me by CTDave. Let me see if I can find it.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Do you mean someone taped the accident? I thought I was the only person who saw it, since it happened on the outside of Savarona. I lived in a house just above the center of the port and had a perfect view of all the incidents that happened every now and then, but few ever noticed...

Anyway, I have the sequence filmed inside my head so I can see it without a video, but it would be nice to have it to be believed! :)
  6. YachtForums

OK... I found the video, but it's a MPEG so I can't upload it. If anybody wants to see it, e-mail me and I'll send it as an attachment. It's a 964 KB file, so you better have DSL or better...
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Got the video, thank you Carl!
    It wasn´t the same incident, but it happened almost the same way.
    Scary moments...!
    /L
  8. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Nice old Hat...

..., all burned up. :(
    Sheesh!

Attached Files: