Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Glendinning

Cosmic Muffin's "Stratospheric" Price!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Mar 4, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Howard Hughes’ 1939 Boeing 307 Stratoliner / Private Yacht, once owned by Jimmy Buffett is on Ebay for $9,000,000.00

(This ebay auction ended on 2/25/05)

(PRWEB) February 26, 2005 -- As mentioned in The Aviator with Leonardo DiCaprio, this was the first commercially built pressurized airplane that was designed to fly above the weather, or 20,000 feet, that was the reason for Howard Hughes purchasing TWA in 1939. This plane was one of ten built and only one of two still in existence. The other surviving 307 Stratoliner is owned by the National Air and Space Museum at the new Dulles Udvar-Hazy Annex.

In 1964 due to damage from Hurricane Cleo in Fort Lauderdale the surviving Hughes 307 fuselage was saved and modified into a 56’ yacht and launched in 1974. In 1992, while cruising around Fort Lauderdale, Jimmy Buffett discovered the “Plane Boat” and wrote her into his best- selling novel “Where is Joe Merchant?” He later composed “Desdemona’s Building a Rocketship”, from the “Banana Wind” CD also about the vessel.

This is the only land-based airplane turned yacht in the world and now functions as a personal yacht for David Drimmer and Aaron Kiss, owners of “Photo Sails”, a new and worldwide patented advertising medium featured at Photosails.com. Now this fully functional yacht is operated using the original 1939 aircraft controls that used to fly the plane. Powered by twin Yamaha 50 HP four-stroke, high-thrust motors and capable of cruising at 13 knots, this extremely maneuverable vessel can turn 360 degrees in its own length.

Teak and holly wooden floors now adorn the entire sole of the vessel and its newly rebuilt hull is in perfect shape. A generator and new electronics along with original Raymond Loewy designed furniture and fittings are featured in the salon next to the original bar that Rita Hayworth had custom windows installed so she could see the clouds go by while she poured martinis for many famous guests like Hedda Hopper and George Jessel.

Countless media outlets, including People, Oprah, Ripley’s, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, Travel, Discovery, HGTV channels, have enjoyed the privilege of exposing the now named “Cosmic Muffin”, the name chosen by Jimmy Buffett and remains the name of the craft today.

For more information, visit (Link Expired)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. YachtForums

Has anyone seen Cosmic Muffin recently?
  3. bstet

bstet New Member

I remember seeing it on one of the canals in the citrus isles in the last year +/-. You could see it from the river.
    Brian
  4. YachtForums

Thank you!
  5. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Is this where you are talking about?

http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/wavepiercers-trimarans-swath-and-such.1047/page-5#post-137743

I think she is still there 7 yachts in from the river on the South side of the canal in this version of googlemaps .

https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...0x88d9012720facaf5:0x7602be7540bf8ebe!6m1!1e1

Maybe some of the Capts that frequent that part of the river can check it out?
  6. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Last time I saw it a few months ago it had a blue tarp over part of it and was docked stern in on a canal at the outside of the last bend you take just before you hit River Bend/LMC going up the New River.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I remember many years ago when it was in such disrepair and you could've bought it for nothing. The cosmic muffin has a unique history, but worth $9 mill. it is not. Not even 10% of that. I saw it in the same place Capt. Bill did a while ago....maybe a year.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, still sitting there: I see the thing almost every day cruising the River Rat
    In my neighborhood.
    Surprised it has not sunk yet, looks like no maintenance and no interest from owner.
  9. YachtForums

I've been thinking about a restoration project. The 'Muffin might be the perfect promotional vehicle for YF & JF! It's a little bit of both... ;)
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

[​IMG]

Todays picture.
    Go for it Carl, this is a great restoration project, just bring your bank account and give up your life:D
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Looks like there is some maintenance going on, new paint on the aft fuselage or something.
    Don't think she will fly anytime soon, but at least she is floating.
  12. YachtForums

Wow Dag, that looks rougher than 50-grit sandpaper. Although paint can cover a multitude of sins, it might be monetary suicide. I think I'll hold on to the romantic notion while keeping reality in check. ;-)
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Oh, come on Carl, you can do it: Sell that Honda NSX toy car and get out of the house. Heck, I will sit in the shade with a cold beer and monitor the progress:)
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I can help sitting in the shade, cheap rum in hand. It's hard work but somebody has to do it.
    I like to watch....
    ,rc
  15. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

Have to apologize, it might be an iconic curiosity as a floating piece of creativity, but for use as a serious boat Cosmic Muffin looks more like a floating coffin. Just my opinion...
  16. YachtForums

Agreed Berndt. Cosmic Muffin is best used as a promotional piece; a parade float (excuse the pun).
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Two words:

Party.
    Boat!
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep & Yep.

But what a cool billboard in a parade or to party on. I'll have to bring extra cheap rum.

YF We know big boats & JF In thrust we trust logos painted on the sides.

Also, It floats; We know it's a head ache and cash hole in the water !! in fine print.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Or would renting a bill board on I-95 with shade under it be just as use full?

Is that bill board with a small press box on it, still around?
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I know you wrote with tongue in cheek, but quite frankly I really can't think of a better piece of advertising for YF / JF. Restoration wouldn't be too bad. The interior doesn't matter, and mechanically she only has to move a few days a year (boat parades, boat shows, etc.). Beyond that she's floating advertising at whatever dock. No paint, vinyl wrap. So as long as she floats, I think you'd do well to give it serious consideration. Remember, it should be a write-off as a business expense. A few local brokers might even like to rent some space on her skin. of course price is everything.