Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

Consolidated bottom

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by kismar, Dec 29, 2012.

1. kismar

kismar New Member

What, if anything did Chris Craft use between the bottom planking on a 60's era 57' Connie?
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hello Kismar, Welcome to YachtForums! When you say "between the bottom planking" do you perhaps mean in between the inner and outer planking, or do you mean in between the edges or seams of the outer planking? I believe that the bottom is double - mahogany planked over plywood. And I believe that he hull sides are seam battened single plank.

I have a pretty reliable source that I can call to get the answer to your original question.
  3. kismar

kismar New Member

Between the inner and outer bottom planks. I think nothing but want to be sure. Owens are canvas, Trumpy is 5200.
    Upper topsides planking is battened.
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I'll call my expert to find out on the Chris. Not sure 5200 existed when Trumpys were originally built.
  5. kismar

kismar New Member

Not the original pre war boats, the flush decks out of Annapolis. And the later ones from the late 60's before that good old bedding compound.
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

My source suggests that the late 60's 57 Connie was originally built using a typical bedding compound between the inner and outer bottom layers. The earlier boats had canvas in between.
  7. kismar

kismar New Member

Thank you very much SeaEric.