Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Comfort Click for Furuno Click for Westport

Condensation in motor

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Eddie Bird, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Eddie Bird

Eddie Bird New Member

Very perculiar situation re Condensation in my engine. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
    Motor. Inboard Volvo penta
    Shaft. Md20.
    Had to remove starter motor so therefore had also to remove alternator to get at it. Had also to drain all coolant and remove all coolant hoses for same reason. Left for several days whilst item was repaired. Weather was cold for Cairns Qld around 17c degree overnight , day 28c.
    Put all back together, replaced coolant, checked dipstik and noticed twice Amt of oil showing, looked closer to find it was grey streaaked. Looked online and started freaking out at cost to repair cracked head and a host of other expensive repairs.
    Anyway....this couldn't be true as motor was running fine few days previous. Coolant wasn't bubbling or boiling out.
    So I Changed oil filter and oil. Stared motor and now 5 days later after running engine hard everyday everything is back to normal. No grey, No dramas. Imagined if I'd believed what I read...
    I can only guess that cool moisture got deeper into engine housing and condensed into the sump. So beware of this situation when draining coolant and leaving hoses open for few days when you have cool nights and hot days
    Thanks.Ed
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Condensation is not enough to raise the oil that much. You have somewhere where water is getting into your oil. Could be exhaust riser, intake manifold, an aftercooler. etc.
  3. Eddie Bird

Eddie Bird New Member

OK thank you Capt J I will look into it further. Bad but good to know it's not over and cant be trusted. Appreciate the advice.
  4. Eddie Bird

Eddie Bird New Member

Although I may have exaggerated slightly with the dipstik reading. It may have been 7-8mm up from Full mark. How does that sound?
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Condensation shouldn't raise the dipstick level at all. You have something else going on. How long has the motor been sitting?
  6. Eddie Bird

Eddie Bird New Member

Hi again CaPt J.
    Motor has only been sitting for 3 days. Previous to this I run it at least once per week often twice for an hour, it was always running very good. I don't understand how one day it's fine and without any load applied, next day I have an issue. I'll be hauling out for annualls in next month and would like to address this issue directly then as I am on a swing Mooring. Meanwhile would be great to have an idea what the issue is as it doesn't seem to be urgent and I'm not sailing anywhere in the meantime.

Oh I won't be around for the next week. Off to Cape York (safari).
    Many thanks again.
    Eddie.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Because something has let go. Possibly an aftercooler is leaking, an exhaust riser, etc. I would fix it now, I wouldn't wait otherwise you may be rebuilding an engine AND fixing the issue. However, If the oil level increases again and it is milky, I would fix it immediately.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I agree that can't be condensation... did something happen while you where tearing it down, maybe... check th oil before every start and if you notice water fidn the source before it's too late
  9. Eddie Bird

Eddie Bird New Member

Thanks for your opinion and advise. I can't imagine anything happened while I was dismantling starter mtr and alternator. It hasnt hapoened again at any rpm. Anyway will do some investigating. Any advise where to start?
    Thanks. Ed.
  10. Eddie Bird

Eddie Bird New Member

Where do I find the exhaust riser and after cooler?
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

With a mechanic. At this time I would recommend you call a professional in.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I agree if you don't know what risers or aftercoolers look like, it's time to hire a mechanic.