Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Burger

Commercial Steel Boat Construction Costs

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by RMS, May 3, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RMS

RMS New Member

Does anyone know what it costs per ton to build a large steel working boat?

Thanks!!
  2. V65

V65 Senior Member

Hi RMS, you have to be more "specific" about what your talking about...;)
  3. RMS

RMS New Member

I had to ask my son the same thing its for a school report! After I did this is what he would like to find out:

In his school report about our economic times vs. the 1920's and we are using shipbuilding as the subject.

Can you tell me the cost or how this cost in building steel ships is done now a days at todays prices?

This is the data we are comparing to:

A study by Fougner Concrete Ship building Company, Flushing Bay, New York, reported calculated cost was $290 per deadweight ton for Cape Fear and Sapona, whereas for Selma and Latham (built in Mobile) the figure was $282.

The hull of the Selma cost $786,754 with 33.1% material, 44% direct labor, and 22.9% overhead with outfitting as much again.

These costs were similar for a steel ship's onstruction during the same period - 1920's.

Thanks in advance for any help at all with this!
  4. V65

V65 Senior Member

RMS,
    Well I'm not exactly sure what it would cost back in the 1920's or so, but now days so to say, a mega yacht from a reknowned yard would cost about a $1 million per meter on average now days...

Anyone here at YF could help RMS or myself out about by the price per tonnage it would cost to build a ship/boat etc from back in the 20's?;)
  5. RMS

RMS New Member

Thanks V65 for that info!

I am more interested in todays prices also interested in the cost for steel boats because we are doing a comparison to the old days and fiberglass was not being used then. You see there is more info out there for back then than there is now so it seems this info would have to come from someone in the buisness I suppose.
  6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

If I recall, George Buehler of Diesel Duck fame has been on this forum and could answer this. He's quite familiar with current building at various yards, US and China. Sorry, I don't remember the thread he was in. Perhaps you could email him, helpful guy.
  7. RMS

RMS New Member

Thanks I will give that a try.
  8. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Go to google and search "modern shipbuilding tonnage" and try typing in some varients. "shipbuilding tonnage","world shipbuilding", "world shipbuilding tonnage"
  9. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi,

Prices are different. But always, everywhere negotiable.

This concerns steel repairs / new build.

It is still possible to find 2.5 EUR / kg (grade A) even, including labor.

Average is 4.0 / 4.5 EUR per kg, labor included.

Also depends on a yard. Sometimes it is 20+ EUR per kg.

And, of course, shell plating is always cheeper than bulbous construction ...

Best regards,

Andrei