Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

Commercial or Private registration problem

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by MYCaptainChris, Jun 22, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

HI ALL

I'm trying to get to grips with the US Customs and immigration, my latest problem is my cruising permit.

Somebody in their wisdom recommended the owner registered my boat as a commercial vessel, this is giving plenty of problems one of which is as follows.

We arrived here in Ft Lauderdale to get maintenance carried out with the plan to then head north to Canada, stopping at various destinations on the way. On arrival I was informed that having a commercial status means we cannot have a cruising permit. So what am I meant to do? Can I simply check out of each port and continue the passage north, checking in at each port I stop at?
    If we re-register as a private vessel can we still charter (outside the US)?
    If we are a private foreign flagged vessel will we no longer be able to take advantage of the tax breaks, i.e. No tax of Fuel here in the states?

You really need to make sure all info is correct before entering and travelling around the US. I even received information from the american embassy in the Bahamas that was incorrect. So I've learnt to check everything again and again before I end up with a costly fine or worse being locked up!!!

I starting to think the US government doesn't need/want our business
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Capt. Chris:

You are foreign-built & foreign-flagged?
    I think under the Jones Act, you then cannot go US port to US port as a commercial vessel.
    Pleasure vessels, though, acquire the requisite cruising permit and you're good to go.
    Can you revert to what I assume was an earlier pleasure status?

A documentation service can answer that one and there are lots in town (Ft. Laud.)

Someone made a boo-boo.
  3. MYCaptainChris

yes

The broker who sold him the boat (and also became his first captain) suggested the boat be commercial!!!
  4. Loren Schweizer

Capt. Chris:

If you need them, send along an e-mail and I'll pass along some Documentation Service names/numbers. These ladies (always ladies) will find a way, esp. if you're under 400 Gross T.
  5. MYCaptainChris

thanks

Your profile won't let me email you.

I really would like them to help me so can you email me the info.

Thanks
    Chris
  6. Loren Schweizer

I'm not a tech whiz, Cap't Chris, so I'm not sure why my e-mail addy isn't public here. I'll figure it out, eventually! At the risk of Carl bouncing this, try:

loren (at) shipsint (dot) com