Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Coldwater 37

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by Michael Brown, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

We are buying a 2010 custom Cold Water 37 for Alaska. The boat is a tank and should be a great stand alone fishing platform for Alaska also a great addition to the expedition yacht, but it has Volvo D6-330 690 hour engines they were very well maintained with records and new out drives last year.
    Thoughts?
    We go for water testing and inspection this weekend.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

D6 coolers/heat exchangers will need to be pulled and checked with those hours. Also the exhaust system is known to get corrosion, newer ones now have anodes fitted. This is all out-of-the-water stuff to do. Other than than, pretty strong units.

Is it running a DPH drive or on shafts?
  3. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

DPH drive.

Thank you for the feedback. Pulling it out of the water for inspection Monday.
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Hi Mike.

With the DPH, be sure the hydraulic hoses and rams have been upgraded, they were a nightmare when new. The new ones are ok now, but ask for verification.

The early Nibral props also rotted away/pitted badly, make sure they are in good condition too.

Do you have an experienced Volvo engineer near you, he may save you many $$$.
  5. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

Yes he is doing the engine inspections on Wed. afternoon, I just like to go in with a little information under my belt. Thanks for all the help the info you provided is fantastic.
  6. Jim Rogers

Jim Rogers New Member

I have a Seawolf 31 with a D6 370 with 1300 hours. The D6 is great. Really no issues or work other than belts, oil changes, and regular maintenance. I have not had any intercooler, turbo or other issues, it just works. The outdrives are the weak link. I had a DPH-B to start I think, and I ate a top bearing at 500 hours. I repaired it, but bought a new DPH-C and it is beefier and has been fine. I am in a single motor configuration so it is a pretty heavy load on the outdrive. I know the Cold Water is a deeper V than me, but it looks like you are twin motors, so the load is spread out more. Overall, I would not shy away from it, but I bet the decision is made at this point.