Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

Cleaning of a yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Ferro_T, Sep 25, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ferro_T

Ferro_T New Member

Hi,

Sorry if i have chosen the wrong section of forum but couldn't find any close to my thread.

So I would like to ask more advanced sailors, which products do you use to clean this dirt ?
    Some recomends me M3 but would be great if get your opinion about that.

Cheers

Attached Files:

• dirt.jpg
      dirt.jpg
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A little difficult to tell the material in the pic, but if it's stainless steel or chrome it looks like time for Never-Dull. I don't generally recommend Never-Dull as it's an abrasive. Once you use it you'll need to use it more and more. However once pitting and scratches start you're stuck. Once using Never-Dull keep the stainless coated in wax or something like Corrosion-X or Plexus to keep moisture out.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's not dirt, it is the stainless tarnishing/rusting. Use Collinite metal wax on it as directed with t-shirt material and polish it out. Can also use 0000 bronze wool with the metal wax on it, but I don't think it's that bad.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Once cleaned, wash it after use. The wonder of stainless is lots of things don't stick to it and sheens away.
    Salt is NOT included in the lots of things. Pollutants and heavy grime are others.
    Without heavy polishing, some damage has happened to the micro finish and that favored super smooth surface has blems in it now.
    Extra cleaning and help from wax helps prevent that from returning.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

If SS, spray with "A Must for Rust", an acid that will neutralize and remove the rust. Then rinse and wash/dry, then Collinite Metal Wax.
    Don't spill the acid on gelcoat, it can bleach it..

Oops, I just now saw you are in Italy and probably have a different name for the acid product called "A Must for Rust". Same stuff should be available over there too.
  6. Ferro_T

Ferro_T New Member

Thanks for respond all of you.

Yes few more weeks over here but yacht must be clean :) I saw that they have also some global products but there is a lot of local brands as well.
  7. OrthoKevin

OrthoKevin Member

What about 000 grade steel wool followed by wax? Crazy?
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I do not recommend steel wool. You really have to make sure all (ALL) the steel is gone. And will probably leave micro stains on the deck/hull after the best of rinsing.

If your really into it, start with 1000, then 1500 wet paper, then fine compound/polish to get that original surface back.
    That is lots of work (many hours) that will go quickly to waist if it's not kept clean and waxed.
    When salt sits on any metal, it's more work to fix than preventing any damage.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You always work with the minimum abrasive you can get the job done with, which is why I recommend Never-Dull and that only when something more mild won't get you there. Abrasive take off the finish and protective layers on everything. Once that's gone you have a job for life. Often on things like this you can even just leave a spot of Kroil oil on it for awhile to eat away the corrosion, then coat it, but this looks a little past that point.
  11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

The resolution on the photo is not adequate to determine exactly what is going on but it appears that the problem is the result of dirt being left in place for a long time. The spots look like corrosion pits that formed under the contamination. If those are pits, all the mouse milk and magic cleaning sauce in the world will not fill in the holes. The pits have to be removed and only (abrasive) resurfacing and passivating will restore the orginal finish.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Agree, and I also noticed horizontal scratches or wear marks. that indicate someone may have got at it at one time with an abrasive, probably exacerbating the problem. Again, once an abrasive is used it becomes all the more important to keep the metal coated with something. Much easier to keep stainless nice than to get it back to nice.
  13. Ferro_T

Ferro_T New Member

I agree It is easier to keep i clean than back to keep it clean.

Also mine problem is that yacht is at the moment located in italy and when rain comes it brings Sahara sand as well.

What kind of material , sponges etc you use for cleaning ?
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm not a big believer in marine products as they're generally weaker and more expensive. So I'll probably get some flack here. Although I do like Spray Nine, Fantastic is just as good. Windex for glass. I like Soft Scub with bleach for stains on decks, everything from bird poop to a burn from a cigarette. I use whatever boatwash is available, but truthfully I prefer Turtlewax. I am a bit fanatical about eisenglass. Never touch it with a brush. Soft sponge (this I get at the marine store) only and then polish it like fine furniture with Plexus. I also coat stainless with Plexus or Corrosion-X. CRC-656 is my main lubricant and grease remover. It also coats stainless good, but is a little greasy to the touch. I coat stainless near the waterline with Boeshield T9. It yellows over time though so don't use it on stainless up on deck. Soft marine brush with rubber fendering, medium for scum by waterline.
  15. Ferro_T

Ferro_T New Member

NYCAP123 for sure I will check some local marine shops. Hope I will find some English talking Italian guy over here which can be a problem.

Anyway I had few quest on yacht and they smashed a bottle of olive oil on teck and some kind hiden it :/ If I knew it happened i will clean it straight away and now I have this kind of problem

Attached Files:

16. Ferro_T

Ferro_T New Member

Also few days ago I was in New Port of Chiavari ( trully I DO NOT recommend) and was very strong wind and vawes ( inside MARINA !! even eployers told me that theres is construction problem and when is sh*t weather than you need to be awake all night) and mine tender released its safety and hit teck few times as well. Is there any chance that I can cover it some way ?

Attached Files:

17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If it is real teak you can probably sand some of it out, it will all fade to the same colour in time fresh dents can sometimes be fixed by soaking them with water and applying heat via an iron to steam them out.
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

It will eventually fade but a spary called K2R is very good at removing a lot of things like that.

I don't know where in Italy you are but there is a good agent called Pesto in Genoa who speaks very good english
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

For the oil, the best I can think of is teak cleaner, and then teak oil the deck. It should dilute and blend the other oil in. For the rub, as K1W1 suggests sand it lightly, preferably with brass wool.
  20. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

To clean oil off of teak use K2R.

To clean the rust on the stainless steel use http://spotlessstainless.com