Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

"Christina O" spotted in St. Maarten [picture]

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by SSpray, Feb 8, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SSpray

SSpray New Member

I was in St.Maarten, last week, and spotted the "Christina O".

First time I have seen her in person.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Those pictures might be some of the best I've seen of Christina O. Thank you for sharing.

... and welcome aboard! :)
  3. catmando

catmando Senior Member

She has had a very nice refit. I saw it on the Travel Channel. But is it just me, or does she look a little "busy" on top??
  4. Michael Bach

Michael Bach New Member

She sure does look "busy" with all of those containers up top!
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

On the subject of yachts spotted in St. Maarten, I just recieved this press release...

Major upgrade planned at St Maarten shipyard

By IBI Magazine / David Foxwell

St Maarten Shipyard in the Caribbean is to benefit from a major upgrade programme in 2006, will see the facilities at the yard dramatically enhanced, turning it into a regional centre for megayacht repairs.

Among the new facilities at the yard will be a new Syncrolift and a new ship transfer system from TTS Handling Systems in Norway.

As Rolf-Atle Tomassen, TTS Handling Systems' Sales & Marketing director explained, the new transfer system with Powered Wheel Transporter (PWT) is an enhanced version of the Dual Walking Beam (DWB) transfer system which TTS has been supplying to yards around the world since 1980. Development of the new PWT90 transfer system was sponsored by Innovation Norway.

The PWT system runs on rubber wheels and will therefore have a higher transport speed than the existing equipment at the yard.

St. Maarten Shipyard has purchased 10 PWT90 units with an option of four more. Each PWT90 unit lifts and moves 90 tonnes on six axles, and is fitted with its own hydraulic power pack and programmable logic controller. The entire system can be controlled by a single operator from a central control unit, and will enable St Maarten Shipyard to dock and repair mega yachts of 60m-70m in length.

Megayachts will be docked on cradles parked on the Syncrolift. When the Syncrolift has lifted the vessel out of the water to land level, the PWT90 transfer system is positioned beneath the cradles and the vessel is then lifted and transferred to a dry berth where repair work can be carried out. The PWT transfer system can move the vessel in any direction and rotate the vessel to position it in the best possible position for work to be carried out.

(14 March 2005)
  6. SSpray

SSpray New Member

Thanks for the info on St. Maarten improvements!
  7. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Ha ha Christina O container ship!
    :rolleyes: :D
  8. mark1

mark1 New Member

If Walls Could talk

The stories and parties would be very interesting.