Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

Choosing a yard to build a new yacht?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NEO56, Jun 12, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NEO56

NEO56 Member

(Admin Edit: the posts in this thread have been split from a thread on Cat gensets and retitled)

As far a my Rep is concerned, we've had many conversations over the last couple of months, and he strikes me as someone who knows his product. I'm more concerned with the Builder delivering a quality product. I've done research, and I'm satisfied. My last bit of research prior to signing any contracts will be to talk with current owners and get their feedback. The yard I'm considering is Outer Reef Yachts. I like them for a lot of reasons. They hand lay a solid glass hull, and they are a custom builder, allowing me to have full input into exactly how I want the boat. With the help of you good people, I believe I can build something I'm not only proud of but will provide a level of safety and a fairly reliable craft.
  2. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Is this the builder?

Outer Reef Yachts
  3. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Hi Old Phart,
    Yep that's them....Have I messed up?
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Druek's boats are good, but the people in his organization are not. We've caught several of them attempting to solicit our members via the PM system. I notified Druek, but he doesn't seem to care, which is why we no longer provide any coverage for OR. I closed their forums years ago but the link to our review remains, therefore bringing buyers to YF via search engines where they can find lots of other choices by builders that don't operate in clandestine ways.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Which takes us back to a few posts back where NEO56 mentioned that the "rep" he has been talking about is not "his" rep but the builder's guy.

NEO, Carl's comments kind of clinched it for me as I have been hesitant to comment since I read your post, but it might be prudent to employ someone who is wholly in your camp and has only your interests to protect. If that "rep" is an employee of the builder you would be wise to keep a bit more distance regarding your dreams and desires. Those should remain between you and your own representative.
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Which model in their line has a 24' beam?

Outer Reef Yachts

8oo MY = 21' beam

860 CPMY = 21' beam

860 DBMY = 21' beam

108 Explorer = 26' 6" beam

Why do those words sound familiar?

Hope this is not a preview of your new boat's launch.

LiveLeak.com - 90' Yacht capsizes on launch (comments)
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Back to the topic of this thread a moment and that's the question about CAT Gens. Why? Outer Reef has a history of Northern Lights which have a history of being very good. Now you go to CAT. Although CAT engines have excellent reputations there are many other factors to a generator. Plus Lugger engines also have a great reputation. Also CAT engines are generally heavier than others of similar power and noisier, neither of which is a good generator characteristic.

Re-examining everything being done on the boat will lead to all sorts of problems. Price creep. Schedule creep....no, schedule run, delivery being much delayed. Minor but annoying issues due to less experience in given areas matching equipment to equipment. Every change from their routine or previous products involves a risk. Adding length does, widening does, changing drives, changing watermakers, changing sewage systems. Many of these are minor and by themselves little risk. But suddenly you're communicating changes to a plant in Taiwan that may not be familiar with what you have them doing. Not saying they can't learn but again talking about the risk of mistakes. While I wouldn't ever be so cruel as to compare Outer Reef to Northern, recognize that the 90' sitting in Anacortes had change after change from their norm. The schedule moved way out. Cost rose. Buyer decided to sell it. And this was all before it toppled over. Marlow decided a few years ago to introduce a 97' and it's been a cause of major issues.

A few things I would suggest. If you're going to make all these changes, I would recommend your own naval architect reviewing the work done internally at Outer Reef. A good architect and a good builder can serve as excellent checks and balances on each other. I would also recommend you have someone representing you through the entire process whether an engineer or experience manager of new builds or a surveyor. You do not want this boat designed or committed to by sales men. Their stock answer will be "yes, we can do that." Yes, they can. You can do anything. But you can get yourself into trouble.

I would personally recommend a proven hull which the dimensions you quoted don't seem to be. I believe this will be their longest semi displacement ever as well. With every piece of equipment and electronics I'd want their standards detailed first and then I'd decide which of those was important to me to change. I wouldn't change away from Northern Lights. Similarly their experience is with Caterpillar engines and I'd be very reluctant to change. I have MTU but not because I think they're better, because that's what the builder uses 100%. With OR I'd go CAT for the same reason. I would change as few things from their norm as possible. Something as simple as toilets. They use Headhunter on all but crew cabin.

Keep it as simple as you can and still get essentially what you want. To build a truly custom boat in all respects would require quite a bit of naval architecture and might not be Outer Reef's greatest strength. A production one might not meat your needs. To me that calls for semi-custom with the least customization you can get by with.
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

9. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Marmot, I fully intend to hire my own rep, but I'm also going to make him/her my project manager. He/She is going to live very near the Factory and report twice a week to me for the entire build. Having talked on the phone with someone here, I was told that quite a few qualified people could be recommended. Over the years, I've heard my share of horror stories concerning new builds, and I'm going to make every effort to stack the deck in my favor.

I had a friend who I was going to use, but he's semi retired and doesn't want to live overseas for a year and a half.
  10. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I was told that they have a 105 mold with a 24ft. beam...I also didn't find it on their website. Maybe a red flag?
  11. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Thank you olderboater,
    You are indeed a very wise man. I understand you've been through this a couple of times so I take every word as gospel. As far as custom, I'm basically going to rearrange the interior spaces, very little is going to push their envelope from a mechanical stand point other than to use commercial equipment where ever possible.
    I feel very fortunate to have found this Forum. They say that successful people surround themselves with people who are smarter than they are. This is my first new build and my last. So I want to get it right the first time, and with the Forums help, I think that this will be a successful build. Their are a few red flags with this company, and I'm not 100% sold just yet. If this is the biggest boat they've built to date, there's going to be a whole new set of parameters put in place...like my own navel architect (I wish my buddy Tom Fexas was still alive) and when the time comes, I'm sure that the Forum can recommend a good Project Engineer.
  12. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Again, I apologize for taking this thread so far off of subject...won't happen again.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't know if I'd go with a one off from a hull that they have laying around. I have heard Outer Reef builds a good boat. I have been on one and it looked well engineered. But then again to me, they look a lot like an old Hatteras.

Personally for what you're looking for I'd look at Moonen really hard and strong. The Hatteras 100' is another one I'd look at, but a different animal.
  14. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Capt J, I was under the impression the Moonen was a steel hulled Builder?
  15. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Pump the brakes there, when you start talking Moonen yachts your speaking to a totally different animal. I was involved with hull no.189 Northlander a 125ft full displacement motor yacht that was built for just shy of 30 million dollars and has just completed it's Lloyds 5 year survey a couple of months ago and on the market for 21 mil. Exceptionally well built and engineered with extreme attention to sound attenuation / insulation and equipment isolation. Steel hull aluminum superstructure oil bath shafts etc. Basically following suite with the fine tradition of all of the builders in the Netherlands. I believe Carl did a review on Northlander for YF and you can see for yourself. There are a couple of moonen's in the brokerage and one good one would be Sophia 1 and I think that the ask is around 10 mil. Beluga is another late model Moonen on the Mkt but I'm pretty sure that one would be 15 mil plus also. I would love for this member go this route but these are not starter type of vessels or first build boats unless you want to jump into the deep end.
  16. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Just got off the phone with my "rep". They are not using an Outer Reef mold, they will be using another yards mold. It's not a one off deal, when my boat is finished it will appear on their website, and will be offered in the OR line. And yes, this will be their largest build to date. That doesn't sit very well with me. But the Navel Architect and Project Manager is a must. I believe that OR builds a good boat, and they are willing to accommodate me with whatever I need or require.
  17. NEO56

NEO56 Member

captholli, When Kuipers shipyard was sold to a French concern Virpack started using Moonen. And while I think a steel hull is better than FRP, I'm a big fisherman, and have to have a cockpit...and 30 million is a little out of my ball park. And I agree with you...Moonen is a whole level or two from what I'm looking at. I was also told today to check out Horizon...but I know nothing about them, and I refuse to go with a cored hull. I asked Viking to build me a 74 or 80 with a solid glass hull...and they told me to go jump in a lake.
  18. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Another yard's mold? What yard? Have they told you? So you have no idea what the history of that mold is and how the boats built with it have performed? Frankly your "rep" would scare the heck out of me.
  19. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I'm a little scared as well. I do know that "my" boat will not have the characteristic "Plank" lines that all OR's have....I don't have a problem with the plank lines, but I need a whole lot of questions answered and a lot of proof supplied before I even consider this yard. I want to be fair about this and give the yard a chance to prove their worth. Rest assured when I walk into this, it will be with both eyes wide open.
  20. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

Well up middle of the night with my asthmatic bronchitis that I got visiting the inland... in-laws... springtime in Provence can be less than ideal if you have allergies... have not slept for two weeks.

Anyway, a couple comments on boats and equipment. I was reading NEO56's posts. The Moonen 114 (was My Issue now Beluga) used to hole up over in Monaco but now is berthed down in N. Italy. I was on a couple years ago... lots and lots of updated done over time. Including interestingly all the bolts in the machinery spaces replaced with Stainless. It's for sale now for 6.9 million Euro or just under 10 million US. Just about the best maintained Yacht I have seen on the market... even better than Northlander. The engines have very little time on them and even the gen. sets are very low hours... something like 1500 ME hrs and 3500 GEN hrs as I remember. I have heard the owner is very motivated as he wants to cut the drain of owning. Its a nice basic interior but needs some decorating, nice bridge and galley. By the way thinking on value was right at where it is listed now... good deal... probably 24-26 million US to replace maybe more now. Hard to beat it or Northlander for value... right now. May go lower with the economy and oil issues developing... maybe be less effected in the USA than Europe right now.