Click for JetForums Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno

Cheoy Lee split wood panels

Discussion in 'Cheoy Lee Yacht' started by captm, May 5, 2006.

1. captm

captm New Member

We took delivery of a new Cheoy Lee 68' SMY late 2005. Since then we have been plagued with the wood paneling splitting. At this point we are assuming that it is the mahogany veneer that is splitting, although we won't know for sure until we start repairs. I am interested in hearing from other captains or owners with similar problems.
  2. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

How thick is the paneling?
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Photos would help. Veneers usually split if they have been steamed and pressed but not allowed to dry properly prior to being glued. Shortcut of using more water in the glue than is correct ratio in order to get the veneer flat can also do this. Properly applied veneers of 1/24 to 1/16 inch thickness should last as long as you will.
    Do you know what the backing/base material is?
  4. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

I would bet on a problem with the substrate.Can you post any pics?
  5. captm

captm New Member

I will post photos when we erturn to port sunday.
  6. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

I dare say that your question has already been answered, however I have also seen this happen when paneling was exposed to drastic climate changes. Such as an interiour that is usually air conditioned and then not for some reason.
  7. captm

captm New Member

Photos of split veneer

In response to the question about how thick the veneer is, it is 1/32 in thick. I have uploaded a few photos of the split veneer, and you can go to this link: http://photos.yahoo.com/yachtladyk to view them.
  8. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

What a disappointing mess
    img 0812 looks like the adhesive has failed.
    0749 looks like it has either gotten wet or has just not been treated properly.
    Good luck getting this resolved.
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

CaptM,

I forwarded this thread along with a note to Cheoy Lee to ask if someone in engineering, or at the yard, might be able to help.

Carl
  10. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

It hard to tell from the pic but its looks to me those splits are from compression.The venier being pushed togeather. instead of the cracks opeaning up they are pushed out. If that is the case I bet either the substrate had to high a moisture content when the venier was applied. As it dried ,it shrank and the venier on top pushed outward. Or its also possible that the venier wans't sealed properly and moisture in the air caused it to swell. Thus pushing it outward.When veniering you need to closely watch the moisture content of the substrate & venier to prevent shrinking & swelling.Sealing is also very important especially in humid climates

If the cracks are opeaning ,it means the opposite.

If you just had a small place that cracked or lifted you can take a hypodermic needle with some thin adheasive and inject it under it and clamp. This looks far to bad for that.

I hope your boat is still under warrenty,or the manufacturer takes care of it.

Good luck
  11. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Any resolution on this unfortunate situation?
  12. captm

captm New Member

As of this date we have had no reply from Cheoy Lee Shipyards. Crowsnest Compasspoint Yachts, the brokers who we puchased the boat from, have been very little help and have stated that they are waiting for Cheoy Lee Shipyards responce.
    I would have thought that Cheoy Lee would have sent a representative to inspect the damage and to assure the owners that they will do everything possible to rectify this major problem.
    I do not know what it will take to get Cheoy Lee to take care of this.
    Perhaps I should advise the owners to dispay this boat at the Ft. Luaderdale boat show.
  13. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

The answer is pretty obvious: Legalman.
    But first, find the marine surveyor in your area who is the most reputable and get his opinion; the legal system requires an Expert Witness.
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Not to get off subject, but when I got the auto-response to this thread, I was wondering... why didn't I contact Cheoy Lee on this??? Had my coffee and decided to re-read the thread before sending an e-mail to Cheoy Lee, when I discovered... I had already done this! Your wood’s splitting… and mine’s cracking! ;)

Cheoy Lee has gone through several marketing directors over the past 3 years (atleast 3 that I know of). I have e-mailed and called each of them, several times, but to no avail. I've also visited their offices at Bahia Mar in an effort to atleast get placed on their press distribution list. I finally gave up. I wish I could do more to help, but you may want to venture a call to the “current” marketing director…

Michelle Hitchcock
    michelleh@cheoylee.com
    CHEOY LEE SHIPYARDS NORTH AMERICA, INC
    Bahia Mar Yachting Center
    801 Seabreeze Blvd.
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
    Phone: 954-527-0999

And finally, here’s the address for the yard in China …

CHEOY LEE SHIPYARDS LIMITED
    89-91 Hing Wah Street West
    Kowloon
    Hong Kong, China
    Phone: (852) 2307 6333
    Email: info@cheoylee.com
  15. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Further to Carl's advice is the name of the head guy for CL's pleasure yacht operations: But Yang Lo.
    If I'm not mistaken, the Bahia Mar location became the factory outlet last year.

This is not a Carl Bernstein/Bob Woodward finger-pointing exercise, but merely a direct path to the seat of power who might make things right if-if-if--this is a builder "opportunity".:)
  16. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Captm,

Just hoping to get an update on your problem.
  17. captm

captm New Member

Update

We are scheduled to take the boat to the broker on Sept. 18th for repairs. They say that they will have it back to use completed on Oct. 20th. :rolleyes:

I have been told that the workers are coming from China to do the repairs, then again I was told that someone from Ft.Lauderdale is coming out to do the work. What I know for sure is that the number of panels that are splitting is growing almost daily, and who ever is going to do the work has not been out to survey the job. Makes you wonder how they know what needs to be done on the boat???

I have been told by several people that there is a Cheoy Lee 72 here in Marina del Rey that has the same problem and the factory has been elusive in addressing the problem. The owner recently passed away, and I'm trying to locate the captain to compare notes
  18. captm

captm New Member

Cheoy Lee Veneer Update

Several months ago, in the Technical Discussion Forum, I asked for input from Captains and owners of Cheoy Lee's regarding split wood panels. What I have found is that there is an ongoing problem with the veneer splitting, seperating and delaminating that Cheoy Lee has been unable to correct.

The present "fix" is to repair the damage by filling, fairing , painting and then finishing to match the existing surface. One of the problems with this approach is that the veneer will continue to split in the areas that have not been "fixed." This will require a lifetime warrenty from Cheoy Lee.

We are 2 weeks into the repairs and expect the first round to be completed by the end of the week. The second round of repairs will take place after the Ft Lauderdale boat show, when another west coast Cheoy Lee will be "fixed" at the same time as us.

I would be interested to hear from those going to the Ft. Lauderdale show what Cheoy Lee has to say about their veneer problem and why they have yet to correct the problem.

I will update after the next round of repairs.
  19. Francois

Francois New Member

Looks like I can see the problems.To start off, in all my years of woodworking on yacht you come across lots of things that can shock you.
    In your pictures where the cracks appear those panels should have had size10 or 20 biscuits depending on the thickness of the ply when joining the edges.Its a woodworking term where one uses a tool to insert the highly compress beech bisc.Those are place at 6 in intervals.Just sticking it to a bkd with adhesive is just not good enough.Here I use a flexible adhesive like Sikaflex to stick the panels to bkd and epoxy the edges and when setting those biscuits.

Moisture content in the plywood could have also been a factor. Lots of far east ply, are not the best .I have seen veneer bubbling out and when I once investigated the glue on the backing was nearly non existent.One advice ,go for Marine vennered ply that has the BS1008 stamp on .Israel makes some really good quality ply.

Hope you come right.

Francois
  20. Synergy3

Synergy3 New Member

Photo 0763 IMO shows the veneer lifting from the substrate. A failure of the glue. If this were an older boat i would look for water intrusion behind the panel. But incorrect glue, incomllete wet out, dirty substrate etc all could cause lifting. Substrate shrinking from drying can cause cracks but 0763 is lifting.