Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck Click for Cross Click for Abeking

Cheoy Lee 66

Discussion in 'Cheoy Lee Yacht' started by Kafue, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

I have been going through the many comments regarding Cheoy Lee Yachts, some are un-nerving!
    I have just made an offer on a Cheoy Lee 66' LRMY
    Year 1984. Twin 325 Detroits, 2000 hrs
    Most the boat was Rebuilt in 1999 after a fire.
    She seems in excellent condition and I am having a full survey done in the New Year.
    Amongst the experienced Boaters and Skippers out there I have to ask:
    What are the negatives of this model?
    Until now I thought Cheoy Lee was a quality brand, is it?
    I have owned quite a few vessels, from "go-fasts" to trawlers and we like the "ship" that she is, so the speed issue is no worry, but how is this vessel in "not so good seas"? We plan extended voyages off the East Coast Aus.
    Many thanks.
    Kafue
  2. plpmusic

plpmusic New Member

So, did you purchase the 66 or not? If so, are you happy? My wife and I are considering one, she is a 1981 located in Miami. what do you think?
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Hi,
    We did not go through with buying the Cheoy Lee.
    Had a few too many doubts, it is a lot of boat to maintain and I think she was too old. Instead I flew over to Ft Lauderdale and purchased a 58 Offshore Pilothouse (1996) and shipped her back to Australia last March. This is the best vessel I have ever owned. Great at sea (my first journey was a 550 nautical mile trip in seas up to 5 metres). Highly recommend these boats.
    Good Luck and happy sailing.
  4. Neil1

Neil1 New Member

Hi Kafue.

Any idea where this cheoy lee is now ?
    I saw her after the fire on pittwater and they had taken her cabin off.
    This would have been about 1988 not long after the 87 crash.
    Did they fully rebuild the vessel to the original shape.

A big cheoy lee 66 fan here.
    Thanks Neil.
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Cheoy Lee

Hi Neil,
    This was a few years back. She had been completely re-built and was fantastic. Only a few areas needed major updates, pilothouse, electronics etc. Nothing major. Engine room was spotless! No idea where she is now. I will keep an eye out for you. Unfortunately we are not boating at the moment, had to sell the Offshore thanks to a "well known and respected" business man not paying his account to me ($2 mill and he is still often quoted in the Fin Review!!!). BUT we will get over it and buy another.
    Regards,
    George
  6. Neil1

Neil1 New Member

Thanks George.
    Sorry for your predicament, not sure whether losing 2 mill or the boat is worse.
    I have only come across 4 choey lee's 66 in Aus.
    One in Sydney at present called Bravado white hull and royal blue stripe.
    Another was at pittwater back in the late 80's cream/fawn hull with brown stripe.
    And an allover white one turned up a few years back which could possible be the
    burnt one which had a white hull.
    Have never come across the cream/fawn one again.
    Two great video's surfaced a few years back on Bravado doing a few ocean voyages.
    If you do come across any please let me know.
    A mad fan of these cruisers which I fell in love with when working on the
    ferries on the Hawkesbury in 1988.
    Neil.
  7. PJ1972

PJ1972 New Member

Bravado

Hi Neil and George

The white Cheoy Lee that burnt was rebuilt and named "Prega" They modifed the stern and put a set up drop down steps in.

The white CHeoy Lee with the blue stripe is "Theresa" and is privately owned. The name of the owner esacpes me now.

Bravado, is beige with a blue stripe, and was privately owned, and used for charters in NSW and the Whitsundays. I was the skipper on her from Feb 2000 to about July 02.

And the scream of the detroits, I still miss it

Take it easy

Paul
  8. Neil1

Neil1 New Member

Paul hi.
    Thanks for the info.

I recall seeing Prega for sale a few years back, did not realize it was the one burnt.
    I was traveling by road last week over the Hawkesbury and saw a white hull and blue strip
    Choey 66,:D looked like she had just been built or resprayed as she was very shiny.

Are you the Paul in the Bravado video to the Whitsunday?

Neil.
  9. PJ1972

PJ1972 New Member

Hi Neil

Yeah, I think I was in the final cut of that one - haven't seen it in a while though.

Therese was always kept immaculate, the last time I saw her was in 2003, so she may have had a respray.

Thank it easy

Paul
  10. jeremyb

jeremyb New Member

interested in getting a Cheoy lee 66

Hi guys

seems to be a good thread,

I have for some time been interested in getting a Cheoy Lee 66,

There does not seem to be a wide range for sale at any given moment in time,

there is a very nice looking boat in San Diego but i am not sure about the USA electric system vs Australia 100v 60hz vs 240 50hz and the other issues of importing a boat like that

I would really like to buy one in the US and bring it back on her own bottom

best regards

Jeremy
  11. Graham D

Graham D New Member

Hello Gents
    I have spent 34 years offshore on Diving boats - However Myself and my two sons 21 & 19 Just started a Competent crew course done two days so far.

I work with many people who have Boats.. 1981 I started diving and Always wanted a Colvic Watson 34

However Last trip Offshore ans Speaking to a few work mates - One of them said go for a Fisher - maybe 34 or 38

Or If you have more money maybe a Nauticat 38

Also another guy I worked with told me to go for a LONG Keel more stbility - maybe a bit more forgiving as I amnot that expeirenced a sailor.

I was thinking of Spending around £70,000 - £85,000 But could go a little higher for the right boat.

I would like to Circumnavigate over time.. Yes I need a lot more Training

However the NAuticat is my 1st Choice - But I have just seen a
    Cheoy Lee 43
    View Full Listing
    on Apollo Duck How do they Compare for Quality

I would like a Motor Sailor

Any advice would be helpful.

Best regards

Graham
    GD460@AOL.COM