Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger

Chartering question......

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Oscarvan, Sep 30, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

This is an idea in the exploratory stages......

Approaching retirement (in 5 years) from a 36 year career as an airline pilot. Getting back on the water is the plan. Toying with the idea of getting a larger boat..... say low to mid 60's instead of high 40's and offsetting some of the cost with some light chartering. Sunset cruises, corporate day affairs.... nothing overnight. Again, not looking for it to be an income source, just being able to offset some of the maintenance, storage, insurance etc. Tax benefits and all that. Area would be mid Chesapeake in the summer, Florida in the winter.

Have a six pack, although expired. Can renew and get the other requirements. (TWIC etc....)

Anyone doing this? Thoughts? Thank you.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You need to read Norseman's thread.

http://yachtforums.com/threads/transfer-title-to-llc-and-refinance-the-boat.26737/

He has just started doing so on a smaller boat and had his first customer the other night and has another this weekend. I would say his motives are somewhat the same as yours, offset some expenses, some tax benefits, and I think in his case doing something he really enjoys. As an airline pilot you've been flying people around and not surprising that chauffeuring a few charter guests would appeal.
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Yes, olderboater, I've been following that thread. Looking for people that are a little further into the process and would like to hear their feedback.
  4. olderboater

I would too but as none popped up to advise him, I'm afraid there may not be any doing that here. I don't even know if there are any owners here who have yachts in charter. I hope some doing what you want to do pop up here.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Ed, NYCAP123 here on YF, ran charter boats out of FLD and NE for many years. He may be worth making contact with regarding chartering.

He's in the middle of a Great Loop trip at the moment, so a little sketchy getting in contact with him.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Better renew that 6-pack right away.
    I let mine expire years ago and had to do everything over again and it was much more work documenting sea-time, courses, exams, etc.
    Got a 50 ton when I started over again and later upgraded to a 100 ton.
    Not letting anything expire anytime soon.:)

Now almost done with my webpage and will hopefully have a good winter season in South Florida.
    Signed up with 2 companies that kicks business my way and keep getting hits but some wants to bareboat (not) Other folks wants to fish and some are requisting 7 pax. All of the above is clearly explained on my profiles, but folks are still asking for expections.

With a 60' boat you are probably limiting yourself unless you sell cheap.
    That size they are most likely looking for overnight charters with full service.

It was a bit of work to "convert" my boat from recreational to commercial.
    The big deal was paperwork with drug and alcohol programs and testing and closing loop-holes in the rules.
    (One question was: Ok Captain do you know what form 2692A is?)
    Half of the Examination was a CG Accident Investigator lecturing on what I could do or not do.
    Overall a pleasant experience, friendly people and I learned stuff. Also got the sticker on the first try.

What else do you want to know?
    Not sure I have much to add, but been in the same boat: Retired from hauling airplanes across the sky for 37 years and enjoy boating. Making a few $$, offsetting costs and cutting taxes are also my goals.
    And it keeps me out of the bars.:)
  7. olderboater

Ed's officially retired now. Does check in here occasionally.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

This link is posted on the other thread, but I will repeat it:
    https://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/UPV_GUIDEBOOK_under100GT_CGD11_rev2016.pdf
    Pretty much the Bible for us UPV guys.
    I printed every page and blocked out stuff not pertinent to my operation like over 65', over 40', over 100 tons, etc, then highlighted and tried to memorize the rest.
    Quite useful, but I still had a few holes in my knowledge.
    For instance the drug stuff:
    Yes, I joined the random drug program, yes I had a pre-employment drug test, but did not know I had to designate my wife to stop me from operating if my next drug test came back positive.
    The CG interviewed her and explained the requirement, then I contacted my drug people (Marine Consortium something) then they listed her in the official annals, sent me copy, then I forwarded it to the CG.
    :confused:
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The licensing is pain because of the bureaucracy and red tape. The course don't cover the important stuff only things you don't need. I upgraded to 200t a few months ago... What a waste of time

I think the success of running a 50/60 footer will depend on where you are in Florida. There is strong demand for day charters in miami but elsewhere I think it s limited. FTL and Palm beach should be busy too although all you can do is go up an down the ICW. Unlike Biscayne bay

The problem with day charters on boat that size is that 90% of the groups will be 12 not 6 means you need to do bareboat contracts. In addition to needing a master not OUPV as the owner you can not be the captain or on the crew.

We ran day charters (and overnight) on a 70 footers for 8 years here in miami and now moved to an 84 purchased by one of our regular guest. The day charter market is busy in miami but you have to be competitive and offer top service.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

IMG_3662.JPG

Had to get an alco tester, this is the current state of affairs after 4 Miller Lights:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

0.04 max for commercial ops, 0.08 for recrational.
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Cool and congrats on new ticket and new boat.
    Let me know if you need a Mate.
    (new boat still under 100 tons?)
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No, she's just over 100 which is why I had to upgrade my ticket. the good news is that we can do uninspected vessel charters with 12 since we are over 100 so no need to do bareboat contracts
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ah welcome to club.
    Now you have to do all the stuff I did plus manual fuel shut-off valves..
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016