Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Capitol Transmissions

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by chesapeake46, Jul 27, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Hello all,
    I just joined this group.
    I've got a 46, 1980 Post.
    I love this boat.
    I wondered if anyone has had to replace the Capitol gears.
    I am used to the shift delay and I deal with it fine.
    Mine work well right now but they will not last forever and I understand they are an offset, down angle transmission.
    I've been told they are obsolete and parts are scarce.
    I talked to some ZF reps, but they didn't seem to interested in helping.

Also, I've never had any of the problems mentioned here of the poor handling problems in following seas, in fact my boat seems to like the following sea.
    I DO NOT have a tender on the bow which I believe is usally most of the problem.
    Also I rarely take it into the ocean, maybe that is the place where the
    "suicide slide" takes place.

Sorry for the long winded message. Happy boating.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Have you tried contacting these folks http://www.capitolgear.com/
    BTW, that slide comes when you put a 6 or 10 footer on your quarter. A 6 footer in the Ches would be stacked together and just beat you to death so I doubt you'd deal with a slide much. Good boat there.
  3. chesapeake46

Hello Nycap, thanks for the reply.
    I ASS-umed Capitol was out of business.
    Great website there with alot if info.
    I had been told that the capitols I have are unrebuildable on account of them being obsolete.
    Last time they were out ( 7 yrs ago ) I was warned to baby them as they were impossible to find parts for.
    One thing I do not have in my home file are the capitol model and serial numbers so I can't say for sure but it looks like I've got an HY model.
    I will get my correct numbers and follow with Capitol.

Your are correct that the C.Bay will beat you more than anything, I think.
    Trying to cross the mouth of the Potomic when the tide is rolling in, the river current is pushing East and the wind is blowing from any other direction is a challenge. Otherwise the Post is perfect for the Bay. Overkill some say, but I'll take it !

Thanks again for the site info.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The mouth of the Potomac is nothing to mess with. When I came by there in early June there was a nasty squall and there were calls out regarding an overturned boat with people in the water.
    I'll take overbuilt any time. That 46 Post (and the 42) were used a lot in the charter fishing industry before things got fancy. Good boat.
    30 year old transmissions (or anything else) can be hard to find parts for. Hope that site helps. If not you may want to look through some bone yards.
  5. chesapeake46

I hope this site takes off for the Post owners also.
    I often wondered why there wasn't a POST message board somewhere and was pretty happy to find this one.
    I am like a friggin chearleader for Post.
    I love the boat.
    More importantly, my WIFE loves the boat, both in style and seaworthiness.
    I found the factory to be really helpful tome with a 30 yr old boat, they treat me like I just bought a new 56.
    Anyhow, thanks for the site it will be useful, I hope I can return the favor.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

7. chesapeake46

Thanks for the link, I could blow an afternoon looking at all the stuff for sale.
    I'm liking this site more and more !
  8. blueboat

blueboat New Member

My main boating areas are Lewes, DE, and Hatteras,
    I haven't been on this site in a long time. A few years ago, there wasn't much activity.

2 years ago, I changed my Capital Gears to Twin Disc on a 1982 42' Post. I was told by one mechanic that he had seen grown men cry from trying to do this. He was right. I cried.

If I had only know what I know now, it would have been fairly easy. If anyone would like to hear what I've learned, please let me know.
  9. chesapeake46

Hi Blueboat,

What made you decide to replace the capitols?
    I mean was it a preventative thing or did they crap out ?

Regards, Art
  10. blueboat

blueboat New Member

The port gear wore out. When I started the engine it would be in gear until oil pressure built. Shift delay was 8 to 10 seconds. Oil pressure was low. I was told the cost was prohibitive to repair it by Marine Transmission in Fort Lauderdale.

I've still got the starboard gear and it was working fine when I took it out. I was told the port wears out first because they have a counter gear for reverse rotation. If anyone needs the stbd gear, I'd be happy to let it go.

The Twin Discs really improve the engine room. You can't believe how much more room there is. I've also now got a trolling valve.

This is not a job to be undertaken lightly however. I wouldn't do it unless you have to.
  11. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Capitol Gears

does anyone have a cost estimate to remove, rebuild, and replace a capitol gear on a 46 Post?
  12. chesapeake46

Hi RT,

I had one of my Capitols repaired about 10 years ago.
    I cannot, for the life of me, find the paperwork related to it.
    The costs would not apply today but as I recall it was less than a days labor for two men and a machine to get the tranny out and a day or less to re-install.

I moved all the furniture and stuff out and back so the yard did not need to deal with all that. I also laid down drop clothes and stuff too.

You'd need to call a transmission shop for the actual repair estimate and they will prolly tell you they can't estimate it until they have it on the bench.

So, there are two bills, one for labor in and out and oner for the actual repair.

BTW, mine are 671's not 692's. I don't know if that would make a labor difference or not.

Good luck
  13. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Capitol gears

Yank them out and ship to factory, probably get replacements for less than rebuild...worth checking...and you know what you got.
  14. blueboat

blueboat New Member

I had Capitols behind 6V92s in my 1982 Post and had to replace them. The port one crapped out and the cost to rebuild was prohibitive. The whole story is earlier in this chain.

I went with Twin Discs. The engine room is dramatically roomier now. There are also ZFs that would work and you might not even have to modify your engine mounts.

If anyone is interested, I can tell you pretty much exactly what you have to do. If I had known going in, it would have saved me a TON of money.

I've still got the starboard Capitol and it worked fine when I took it out. I'd love to let somebody put it to good use. It's taking up a lot of room in my garage.
  15. Price built

Price built New Member

Do you still have this gear. If so, what is the model # and ratio?
  16. evening star

evening star New Member

Blueboat, if you get this would you be kind enough to email me the details of your transmission replacement? You can email me REMOVED

Fraternally,
    Reid Kyle Past Master Warwick Lodge #336
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2015
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Blueboat was last seen online here in Jan this year. Your inbox will thank you to edit your post and remove your e mail address , send it to BB in a PM.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

+1 Never post your email on a forum.
  19. Enterprise

Enterprise New Member

I used to be blueboat. I sent messages to Price Built & Evening Star. I still have the starboard Capital. I replaced with Twin Disc, but I later found a ZF model that would have been a closer match and slightly easier to retrofit.

My biggest problem was that Twin Disc builds to order. I got one off the shelf but had to wait several months for the other. I replaced just the one first, but the ratio was slightly different and it couldn't be synced and caused terrible noise and vibration. You've got to replace both at the same time.

A lot of my problem was that I couldn't be sure there wasn't something wrong with the new gear and no one could tell me. That made me delay doing the other side. Finally, all was resolved when I put in the other gear.
  20. Enterprise

Enterprise New Member

Pricebuilt, I do have the starboard gear. It is a 1.5 to 1 ratio, which I think was what all Posts of that era had. I believe the model is HY22000. That's from memory but if you're interested I'll take a look and let you know exactly.

Evening Star, I put in Twin Disc MG5085SC gears, with a 1.42 ratio. If I remember correctly, I had to lower the engines 1/2 inch and put in longer prop shafts. I modified the big front mount on the engine and made new rear mounts to fit the new transmissions. You'll also have to change your props because the ratio is about 10% different.