Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

Cape Horn Yachts

Discussion in 'Cape Horn Yacht' started by cabobo09, May 11, 2009.

1. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

Does anyone have any information about the Cape Horn 81’ trawler. I have heard they have issues with stability when heading into head seas? Any information would be appreciated.

Bo
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I have not heard of this issue on the Cape Horn 81s nor have I experienced it on any of the sea trials when I was aboard.

The earlier models of the CH 63s tended to have wetter foredecks and later models added more bow flare and toerails which did diminish green water on deck.

Judy
  3. cdg

cdg Member

Wright of Passage, now called Columbus?

Hi there - thanks for contributing to the forum everyone. I am interested in buying a Cape Horn vessel (Wright of Passage, now called Columbus) and wanted any owner info about the yachts, their sea worthiness,
    construction, history, issues and so on - especially from owners. Any information or links would be gratefully received. the archived info was especially useful, thanks. I also have heard that the earlier vessels (from/to date?) lacked flare in the bow, meaning more pitch in head seas, but this was altered in later hulls? (I only seek info and dont want to start a wrong rumour here). Also any specific info on WoP and Columbus would be great. Thank you very much in advance.
    cdg
  4. CYSB

CYSB New Member

A bit of History-Cape Horn 81 "COLUMBUS"

The ex “WRIGHT OF PASSAGE” now “COLUMBUS” is a 2001 Cape Horn 81’ X 22’ X 7’ 10” trawler that was designed by Charles Neville out of Maryland in the USA. The 330,000 lbs. displacement trawler was originally built for a Microsoft executive from the Pacific Northwest. The trawler was sold a couple of years ago to a banker from your neck of the woods and is presently lying in Auckland, New Zealand. Regarding the potential pitching tendency of the craft; I seriously doubt that the potential pitching motion is a factor due to the savvy knowledge of Mr. Neville, NA who had the trawler fitted with a bulbous bow when built. Bulbous bows tend to dampen pitching as much as 50% over traditional bow shapes and soften the bow wave as well as improve speed and decrease fuel consumption. A few months ago Pete Watson gave a bid to construct a new Watson 72 for $4,800,000.00 NZ and a Watson 79 for $6,250,000.00 NZ plus an export fee of 12 ½% for a foreign buyer. It also requires 20 months to complete construction. The Cape Horn 81 “Columbus” is offered for sale at a terrific value for a fully found any ocean cruising vessel… :)
  5. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Water on Board

I wish the web site of Wright of Passage was still up for viewing. I followed the build and subsequent owner's travels with his new yacht and can recall his concern about water coming aboard. His (and his captain's) main concern was that the water did not drain well from the decks (including the bridge deck!) due the design. I believe it came up so many times in their journey down the East coast to a FL yacht show and then across the Gulf heading for the Panama Canal, that they joked about naming the "lakes" after Peter Sever.

I also recall the owner writing about his mother (or grandmother? Sorry, don't remember.) finding it easier to crawl about about the vessel and scoot on her bottom when on the stairs while underway since the ride was difficult for her advanced years.
  6. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

I did quite a bit of research on the 81's after my posting. The owner of CH required that the boat be designed to sustain a complete roll over. This required the deck house be constructed from steel which adds a considerable amont of weight up top. Additionally, a column has to be installed in the salon while underway in order to carry the additional load should there be a roll over. To counter the additional weight up top, a huge plate (keel shoe)was welded to the keel to add ballast as low as possible. This along with large bilge keels helped, but they still have a considerable amount of roll in beam seas.

As you point out, the boats are very wet going into head seas. One other comment that was made that even if the boat survived a roll over, the crew would have considerable injuries from the acceleration forces in the vessel righting herself.

Other than that, all other reports were good.
  7. CYSB

CYSB New Member

Cape Horn 81 "COLUMBUS"

That is interesting about the owner requirements prior to the CH 81 construction process. On occasion, some owner's when commissioning a new build attempt to place 25 pounds of horse manure into a ten pound bag... Sounds like the “COLUMBUS” may have too much weight up top… Jim ;)
  8. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

Jim

I was actually refering the the owner of CH Yachts. All CH 81's were designed to sustain a roll over. The structure of the pilot house is massive. One other thing I discovered and could not get clarity on from several NA's was that the stabilizers were located midway along large bilge keels. Some commented that the dirty water around them greatly reduce their ability to perform according to their design intent. If anyone out there has the answer, it would be interesting to hear your opinion.......Bo
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have no experience with these Boats but do have recent experience with Quantum and the non use of bilge keels with their fins for that reason.
  10. JWY

JWY Senior Member

All Cape Horns were designed to self right and one did indeed during the tsunami in Phuket. The 81s were the only ones with the support post in the pilothouse to prevent roof collapse in a rollover.

One of the compelling features of bilge keels is to provide passive stabilization. For those Cape Horn trawlers that also have active fin stabilization, the fins are located "within" the bilge keels. While there is compromise, sacrifice of maximal benefit from the active system, the inserted fins still provide additional stabilization but are additionally protected. Would be close to impossible to ground or damage a fin and reduces likelihood of wrapped line or other entanglements. However, the actuators are encased in a watertight compartment as part of Cape Horn's philosophy of expecting the unexpected which actually proved itself on a bolt failure and pin shearing on a CH 63.

I have discussed the fins and their location with owners and all of the CH owners (7) with active fin stabilizers are satisfied with the compromised performance.

Judy
    Kafue likes this.
  11. TimL

TimL New Member

I spoke once with the designer and he mentioned that he was somewhat tied to building the house from steel due to the requirements of the builder. He did the best he could and weight had to be added low to counter the weight of the house. The boat was very heavy.
    I thought I still had the email, but it was a couple years ago. His newer designs have an aluminum house which he says really helped with the issues that the CHY had. Although he did not say the CHY handle poorly, it took more work to counteract the full steel construction.
    Tim
  12. JWY

JWY Senior Member

The new Cape Horn 68s will have an aluminum superstructure.

Judy
  13. 'RoundTheHorn

Cape Horn Still Afloat??

Judy,

Is the "new" Cape Horn (based in Croatia) still developing yachts? The company's website has not linked to a functioning site in months, instead showing a generic placeholder.

URL Removed Due to Content

Do you have another URL?
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I don't know what you get when you click on the link but what I got does not belong on this forum.
  15. JWY

JWY Senior Member

About 2 years ago there was a client who wanted to build Cape Horn Trawlers in Croatia, but his spec boat never got off the ground and subsequently negotiations were discontinued. He had a website calling the vessels Cape Horn Yachts but that website was supposed to have been removed a long time ago.

Peter Sever is in discussions for building the CH 68 at the original Canadian yard; however, it is too premature for a Cape Horn Trawler website. I was at meetings with the yard last week and am optimistic about a proper revival but there is nothing specific to report at this time.

Judy
  16. 'RoundTheHorn

???

When I go the site all I get is one of those generic page holders with links for sponsered listings of charter companies and other yachting related services and searches. The domain name seems to have been bought by someone and has been "parked".
  17. cdg

cdg Member

Cape Horn 81 performance

Well, thanks to your advice everyone I bought a Cape Horn. (You'll be more careful with advice in future - HA HA). Our first voyage on her involved some unpleasant, heavyish seas, and wind 90deg to the sea. I can say that she performed magnificently, with no hint of pitching, dry decks, and while of course she rolled (the stablisers were U/S awaiting a new board) it wasnt excessive at all. You can feel her weight (steel superstructure 'n all) but it isn't a problem.
    Yes the 'rollover column' is in the pilothouse; may we never need it!
    When we get the stablisers workingproperly, I'll report back on bilge keels+stabliser performance.
    cheers
  18. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I am in frequent communication with Peter Sever, the creator and owner of The Cape Horn Trawler Corp. While Columbus (fka Wright of Passage) was for sale, I did not want to post specific information so as not to look like I was promoting, so this is an after-the-fact- edification.

Since "CDG" has posted he now owns Columbus, I directed Peter Sever to YachtForums as an FYI. Peter sent me an email which I am taking the liberty of posting (he is traveling and was using shortspeak from his laptop not expecting me to post, as was not my intention):

From Peter Sever, Cape Horn Trawlers, 08/30/09:

"What I remember is WoP Sea Trials in NB with best skipper in area at helm, in Atlantic Force 7. Major winds/seas. Skipper teaches fishermen how to drive boats for Cdn Gvt and does the licences for Govt. Also 5 other local skippers aboard, yard owner etc. H**d {the new owner, jw} and his Capt were aboard as was my buddy from the US Destroyer USS Decatur in which we crossed Pacific in also in Force 7.

EVERYONE agreed that in all sea states in Force 7 she was fabulous. Have video of roll in beam seas, was negligible. Have complete videos of the trip & boat, edited and gave to H**d {jw}

Skipper said while pulling back into harbour quote "she feels like a 100' fishing boat coming home loaded to the decks with fish ..." Thats the best compliment ever received. He kicked sh*t {jw} outa de boat and loved her. So did I, I was IMPRESSED as hell.

On the US$1 billion Decatur in Force 7, NO ONE, not even capt, slept for 3 days ... rolling was horrid, major, cannot stay in bed, get thrown to floor.
    Coulda slept like baby on WoP. Truly no issue. I think roll was 10-15˚ max. Decatur was 30˚, I have it on video ... same sea state!

Head seas, we never ever established there was an issue. I heard the mother crawling story ...
    On trip south to FL there was some whining, but afterwards none.
    Skipper said it never happened again -- it was likely frequency of seas and amplitude in Atlantic.

Pitching MAY MAY (do not know) be related to the hard chine shape and shape of rear end we subsequently changed. H**d added 6' to back of boat after hull was built ... I refused to guarantee it, said not part of design so its a toss-up. made him satisfy himself with architect and sign a letter to that effect. It was a 75 he turned into 81 but newer version we addressed any possible pitching issue, changed bulb bow, had many Fishing Boat and commercial engineers study it and modify. S&S ditto agreed.

Deck drainage was fine, major major deck drainage all my boats, best in the industry in fact ... I designed and built it in (drainage one of major causes of instability and capsize all boats) ... it was P**'s {owner's first name, jw} TEAK deck that was not 100% even so there were little puddles, like 1/2" deep. Extremely heavy teak deck I did not want. I wanted Marinedeck at 1/4 the weight. Pat typically insisted. It was ONLY the top deck in the big flat sunning area.... No other puddles. Problem was no camber in top deck, design issue. Top deck should be an arch, was not, it was flat. Minor issue anyhow, not weight or danger---but puddles do annoy and should not happen."

Judy
  19. 'RoundTheHorn

I am surprised that Peter Sever would say he would “refuse to guarantee it” considering that the transformation of the 75 to the 81 was definitely part of Cape Horn’s ad campaign. A photo accompanied this ad showing the added hull extension in build prior to primer and paint.

From Sept/Oct 2001 Passagemaker, pp. 72-73…
    That sounds like quite a bit of bragging for a design that PS wouldn’t guarantee. Don’t get me wrong, I was very interested in the Cape Horn boats and very pleased and impressed with what I saw and read about them. I know CH started running ads touting their new designs from Sparkman & Stephens several issues later, but they continued to highlight Wright of Passage in their ads.

BTW, Judy has High Note (which has the extension incorporating the stern anchor) listed for sale on her site if anyone is interested in seeing photos.
  20. LW2010

LW2010 New Member

Peter Sever should consider working out of Canada again and continuing his successful range if go anywhere trawler yachts.
    I own such a yacht,currently being renamed to Devil's Advocate and just sailedher through a gale force 8 without a problem. Wind blowing at 74knts and the ship working herself through this without a problem.
    Cape Horn yachts excell in weather others seek harbour protection. They are safe, Canadian steel built 'go anywhere' yachts in full comfort with the family.
    In force 8, she was nowhere near her limit and all felt safe.
    She has earnt her name "Devil's Advocate" :)
    Greetings
    Charles