Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Can someone tell me what this is, and how to fix or replace it?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by BMY46-6, Aug 30, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. BMY46-6

BMY46-6 New Member

We are planning to do this as safe as possible. CO2 fire extinguishers, rags and plywood will be there, and we also want to open and go through the emergency shutdown, to check that it works properly. I have a bus mechanic with me, he even owns his own DD so he seems to know what he's doing.

Hey Norseman! Rett til værs, takk. :) I bought it about a year after it went under, it was only partly submerged at a dock. And it was made floating again the same day. Very few things wear signs of having been submerged, all battery chargers work, the Kabola works, pumps work and almost no electrics are corroded. Only a few things that had power connected, like the bow thruster.

I do have a little smell problem though, it smells of oil and diesel. We have thoroughly cleaned about 25% of the boat, and the smell seems fresh there now. I am still happy with my buy, I payd daycruiser money for it. Here she is:

DSC_0336small.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

One of our YF members was rebuilding an older Bert like this in Hong Kong last year. He was making new acrylic windows. Hopefully he will chime in.
    Start spraying everything down with cheap vinegar. Heavy and repeat spraying and scrubbing in the bilges with vinegar. That stink will rinse away.
    Separate & properly dispose of bilge oil. Cheap shop vacs really help here.

You may still have the 32Vdc system. No worries.
  3. BMY46-6

BMY46-6 New Member

Rcrapps, I have read his tread earlier. I have 1 or 2 broken windows in the front cabins.

Not shure how to separate the bilge oil from the water with a shop vac. Would you care to teach me, ? :)

The new engine has a 24v starter, I think I'll be converting to 24v later. Previous owner has used 36 volts, so for now I will use that.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oil floats. Vacuum/skim the oil off the top of the water. It's funny how a floating puddle of oil (on top of water) will make a trail and draw from many feet away and still not suck up any water. Patience...
    Your going to trash your shop vac.
    I just started experimenting with a shop vac model that uses 5 gallon pails for it's bottom. We keep most 5 gallon pails after oil changes for our dirty work. So far so good.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The front cabin port lights are usually Beckson Ports.
    The fixed glass around the saloon will be a challenge. Captive edges on the inside. Stainless screws in a 40 year old alloy frame.
    The sliding glass frames unscrew top & bottom and come inward. Watch your toes.
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

RC

What is the brand of vacuum head you're experimenting with? I like the theory/setup on a 5 gal disposable pail.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

8. Beau

Beau Senior Member

9. BMY46-6

BMY46-6 New Member

Today the engine started for the first time! :D It seams to run just great. First it would not start, even on startgas, but after we primed it it starts in half a second, runs on idle and does not smoke at all. I'm so happy that I can't sit still! YeeehaaaAAA!:cool: Unfortunately no video yet, our hands were busy keeping the plywood ready.