Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Californian Convertible Sportfisher

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by Robertoman, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

Does anyone have any comments on "Carver"/Californian sportfisher's built in Tustin, CA 1988 vintage. I am looking at one with low hour 6V92s @ 550. Looks to me to be a Viking on Steroids.
    I am not seeing very much here about older Californians.
    I thank you all in advance
  2. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

Here is what I know. 42' 47.6 oal. 38000# 4'6" draught 15* dead rise 1800 rpm 16k hull 2" solid core, decks 3" end grain balsa core, have core samples. Factory 6V92 TAB engines built for Californian. 1 of 11. Anybody know any interesting info?
  3. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

Do the Detroits attract or scare fish?
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

The Californians, Marshall/Carver/Wellcraft of the 1980's to early 90's are considered well built and enjoy a popular place in the brokerage market. Most are aft cabin and were offered with or without cockpit. They did build some convertibles such as the 42 however those really did not enjoy the same popularity.

Most old timers will tell you that Detroits have always been thought to attract fish.
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Seriously?!
    That's what is heard when you tell some people that Detroits attract fish!
    They do IMHO! and in the opinions of many fishermen I have spoken to.
    Unless there are bananas on board, then you can forget catching anything.
  6. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

No Bananas. My wife didn't believe about bananas, she does now though.

This question is about checking on loaded RPM's.
    During the sea trial the mechanical surveyor tested both mains for rpm under load.
    Is the usual procedure to let one engine idle, and run the other wide open and check RPM, reverse and repeat.
    These engines are rated @ 550 @ 2300.
    The survey reads.
    "During sea trial the wide open throttle was 2256 rpm and 2196rpm port and starboard respectively as read from the analog tachometers".
    I am just curious, as it seems to me if both engines are at full throttle the load factor would be less and rpms higher from the help from the other engine.
    The engines weren't checked for high idle. Nobody wanted to see broken parts flying around I guess. :confused:
    Hope i posted this in the correct forum.
    Thanks,
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The engines should be checked for full throttle RPM with BOTH of them at full throttle in gear. They are propped to achieve 2300 RPM's at WOT with both engines at WOT. It is common for one to be a little more or less RPM's than the other. I would think those readings are with both engines at full throttle as usually 1 at idle and 1 at WOT, it won't achieve anything near rated WOT rpm's. I would think in todays day and age the surveyor would use a photo tach for an accurate reading and not rely on the boat's tachometers.

Detroits do attract fish. Look at Boneshaker a Whitacker SF out of Jupiter/Stuart,FL.....used to win all of the sailfish tournaments in the area, ALL of them, it was the slowest boat in every tournament, latest to get to the fishing grounds and first to leave and cruised at 12 knots......they repowered it several years back and it doesn't do anything near what it used to in tournaments
  8. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

When my Hatteras arrived in Newcastle, Australia, I sailed her North to the Gold Coast with my son as crew. About a 400 Naut. Mile trip. We had no game poles at the time. 2 fishing rods, a few lures (hardly a spread) and weren't headed to any particular fishing spots, just pointed the bow homeward.
    We caught pelagics right up until we decided we had enough of the fishing, time to just relax and cruise.
    The boat and Detroits definitely raise fish!
  9. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

10. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

That is a beautiful boat, I saw the transport and unloading, a trip of a lifetime. All the best to you guys!
  11. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

12. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Thank you, were you in the time?
  13. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

Thanks Capt J,
    I appreciate your time and knowledge!
  14. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

I wish, had to work, but, somebody has to do it.
    "San Diego, how bad could it be?"