Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Cabo 40FB A/C issues

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by kxp086, Nov 29, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kxp086

kxp086 New Member

Hello all!.
    I am new to the forum, however, I have been boating for over 30 years. Last year I purchased a 2005 Cabo 40FB. After said purchase the salon deck A/C failed. Long story short, unit was replaced and ever since the cooling/heating ability has been sub par. A major mid-atlantic service yard has tried several times to make right, any suggestions?:confused:
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hard to reply without more info. What failed? Compressor? You said "unit was replaced"... Normally on such a recent unit you re not going to replace the whole thing but just the compressor or evaporator

What kind of AC if you have? Compact or remote compressor in the ER? On a 40 it s likely to be a compact but you never know..

Subpar doesn't mean much.. Does it just not cool enough? It s not rocket science any decent AC tech should be able to put gauges on and see what a going on. What about water flow, is it strong enough? When is the last time the coils were descaled?
  3. kxp086

kxp086 New Member

Thanks for the response, 16000 btu Cruisaire, compressor located in lazzerette under galley sole, pump was replaced at same time compressor was replaced. Original unit for state rooms, feeds off of same pump, that unit works great. Coils were serviced at the time all this was being serviced.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Chances are when the compressor died it sent a bunch of debris through the freon lines. If there is a filter/dryer in the evaporator chances are it could be clogged. Your going to have to measure the line temperature going in and coming out of the evaporator on the FB. It sounds like a freon restriction to me.
  5. captbluewater

captbluewater New Member

You should also check the discharge of cooling water. You could have good pressure going to inlet side but maybe on discharge side there could be some clogging. It happen to me. A bunch of broken barnacle pieces.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In addition to what capt J suggested, I would check water flow out of the unit There could be some blockage in that line. If you can't actually see that unit discharge pull the hose and put it in a bucket to see how much flow you get

Any error codes on the display?