Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Buying my first yacht: A few questions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Thirdwaver, Jun 3, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Thirdwaver

Thirdwaver New Member

Hey gang,

I have owned several wakeboard boats but never a boat the size I'm looking to buy now (at least 40'). I've been doing enough reading to know that there's no "what's the best boat to buy" answer but I do think you guys can help me with some basic, important decisions I need to consider.

Here's a little bit about what I'm thinking we'll use the boat for in case it helps. We will spend a majority of time on Oregon waterways. We want to use this time to get experience with a boat this size. For a while we'll be weekend boaters. Our first peek into coastal cruising would be a trip to Seattle, then maybe a further venture north to Alaska. A lengthier trip maybe down to Mexico some day. And if we love this life, maybe we'd be able to go through the panama canal and play around Florida Keys or the Bahamas but that might not be in this boat. Just giving you an idea of the progression. Our budget is around $250K for this boat. Here are some burning questions I have:

1. What would be the pros and cons of having an inside helm? It seems like a lot of boats (I've been interested in Carver) I see online have only the pilot helm. My understanding is that you usually sacrifice the dining room when you have the inside helm option but very few used boats seem to have it. Is there a reason it seems to be the option no one buys? In Oregon it rains a lot but the weather isn't treacherous all the time. I'd like to think that rain wouldn't stop me with an inside helm but it might without it. Many of these boats have biminis and soft canvas covers but... I don't know.
    2. I'm leaning towards diesels. Every once in a while I come upon a gas powered vessel. Should that be a show-stopper for what I'm describing?
    3. Ultimately I'd like to get my captain's license. I know I need the hours, but I need the boat to get the hours. It seems like a chicken/egg problem. Will that prohibit me from getting the boat insured?
    4. What would be a good way to get some behind the desk training on navigation, rules of the road, boat safety, etc? And then where would I go to find some behind the wheel training?
    5. Based on the style of boating I described above, any general boat buying tips?
    Thanks very much for helping this newbie out! I hope this is the beginning of a long relationship with this community where I'll be able to give back too some day.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Ok, I didn't hear "A" style of boating but many styles. Cruising the Columbia River, cruising outside to the PNW, cruising Alaska, the Panama Canal, the Keys, the Bahamas. If you want a boat to do all these things then it will have to be a compromise on some.

To accomplish all, most people would start looking at trawlers such as KK and Nordhavn. Perhaps some would look at Tugs. You're use to moving fast on the water, what speed can you live with? A Fleming would be great but out of your price range.

Secondarily people look at less expensive alternatives such as Bayliner and Mainship and Tollycraft and even Carver.

Next you need to analyze other aspects of it's use. How many people will generally be aboard. How many other times. How long at a time? Will you do your own work or pay for it to be done?

For long range cruising I absolutely want an inside helm. Conditions can be bad out there. For the type cruising you're talking about Diesel's are a necessity. Gas would be fine if you were staying in the Oregon area.

Captain's license don't forget all the hours you already have on your wakeboard boats. Go back and capture them. They can help a great deal on your first license. Beyond that, I recommend a maritime school for some formal training and some hands on training by a training captain when you get the boat to help you with practical learning.

Boat buying tips as in any major purchase start with defining the requirements. Do this carefully and in detail and look at boats and even boats for sale online determining things you like and don't like. Must it have a flybridge, what kind of speed, accommodate how many, how many heads, do we cook a lot, prefer galley up or down, flybridge enclosed, covered or open? Make a long list. Then classify into must haves and want to haves. Must haves are things that would be deal killers if it didn't have and will help you eliminate a lot of boats.

A lot of it is elimination. Here's just how one scenario might work and these are just hypotheticals.

Diesel-Must
    Galley Up-Want
    Flybridge-Must
    Hardtop-Want
    2 staterooms-Must
    2 heads-Must
    40-55', able to be handled by couple-Must
    Range of at least 600 nm - Must
    Twin Engines-Must
    Stabilizers-Want
    Bow thrusters-Must
    Ability to cruise at least 15 knots-Want
    Ability to cruise at least one nautical mile per gallon at econ cruise-Must
    Nice side decks-Want
    Queen size bed in master-Must
    King size bed-Want
    Master not in bow-Want
    Ability to carry a tender-Must
    At least a 15; tender-Want
  3. Thirdwaver

Thirdwaver New Member

I really appreciate all the info!

At what point does the cruising style warrant a different type of boat from, say a 40-45' Carver Pilothouse type boat? I figured a boat like that could safely cruise up and down the west coast as well as inland on the Columbia assuming I made sure we weren't in anything worse than 5-6' seas. I assumed this first boat wouldn't be the one we took through the canal. I'm still at least 10 years away from a trip like that so it would likely be a different boat at that point. This may be showing my naiveté but what are the factors about traveling, say, up to Juneau in July, that would make a 40' Carver a poor choice? Is it the range? The hull design? I'm happy to make the compromises but I don't know enough about what I need to compromise on :) I've heard 40' is a minimum for going coastal. Is that a good rule of thumb?

I think as far as boat classes go, I want to start with a 20-30 knot cruiser first for a couple reasons. If (when?) I make a weather related error while I'm learning the ropes, I need a boat that has a better chance of getting me out of there quick. Also, I've still got about 10-15 years until I retire so my time available to get to these places will be more limited until then. I can totally see a Trawler type being my second boat and the one I take East after retirement. I'm impressed by the range and economy of some I've seen and the layouts are beautiful as well.

This will just be my partner and I plus maybe a small dog. We will likely need space for an additional couple for weekend trips but I doubt for anything longer. Dual cabin/dual head will be fine. And I like the idea that the master is aft and the VIP is up front.

Your list is fantastic and I will assemble one of my own. The one you made isn't far off of what I would choose.

Thanks again!