Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

Buying a 1969 57 Constellation

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by BPITTS, Jun 17, 2017.

1. BPITTS

BPITTS New Member

Hello all I am looking to Buy a 57 constellation that had a bottom job and 90% plank replaced above water line 2 years ago. Owner lost his health and boat had been untouched in water slip since. It has some rotted planks above water line. Bilge holds about 3 inches water and pumps run about twice a day. Interior needs complete restore as well as upper deck. Owner also installed 2 New props and 3 coats copper paint on bottom at last haul out 2 years ago. Both motors run and appear in good shape. I need to know if it's worth the effort to pull out and restore myself over next few years as I would want to use for when I retire in about 5 years. I can purchase the boat for 2000.00 So my big question is at that price is it worth doing a almost a complete resto. As the purchase cost is almost nothing. Thanks
  2. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

Depends on what you expect. From worth almost nothing to beeing a serious boat that you can enjoy for a decade without major work needed it´s a long, time and money consuming way. A serious boat is completely unable to be cheap. Either you pay upfront or later, that´s you decision.
    And be prepared that you´ll never see half the money invested when you try to sell it later.
  3. BPITTS

BPITTS New Member

I don't mind spending the money to fix her up. But as I get older I don't want to have to do major repairs in 10 years either......
  4. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

If you´re in love with that particular boat and if you like doing a project like that for the fun of doing the project that´s ok. Just don´t forget that this will be a lot of work. Only do it if you´ll find pleasure in the idea that you made it happen. If you just want to go boating in a couple of years try and find something compareable that´ll cost more money now but will be less painful to adapt to your fantasies.

Be prepared that you´ll find a lot more things that need to be taken care of after starting the project. Hiring a qualified surveyor for wooden boats to check the boat with you will certainly save you from at least some of the uglier surprises.

That´s most probably all someone can tell you without knowing the particular boat.

You don´t have to believe in my opinion, just let me tell you that I built the boat you see as my profile picture with my own hands so I claim to have a decent idea what´s ahead if you start that venture.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  5. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

And, by the way:

- What do you think will be finished first? The boat? Your Budget? Your Motivation?

-Are you marrried? And if, do you like beeing married?

(Not proud of knowing why I ask these questions)
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The Connie's, particularly the 57 footers were rather lightly built. I can't imagine anyone ever dreamed they would have lasted past around 20 years. Among other issues, they tend to sag in the stern with the weight of the fuel tanks all the way aft. You can see this in photos of these boats. IMHO you would be better served by beginning with a better quality boat.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Do yourself a favor and buy an old Hatteras that is solid, fiberglass, and all you have to worry about is the machinery.
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

+1 on what Capt J said.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you have not taken the hint; Get a plastic boat, fix her and be merry.
    As much as we all love woodies, the work NEVER ends.
  10. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

I can tell you from experience,last year I purchased a 1969 57' Connie,that seemed as though not much work was needed as far as the survey read but beware of a surveyor that doesn't have any wooden vessel surveys that you could talk to.Long story short,I'm spending an average of $4k a month on some rotten wood that the surveyor didn't list as bad,and the other work I'm doing myself..You must really really love wood boats to tackle such a project,and have plenty of funds to do it proper.Proud to say mine is "almost"? finished if there is such a word for wooden boats lol..