Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Burned Donzi Sportfish; whose boat was this?

Discussion in 'Donzi/Roscioli Yacht' started by SHAZAM, Dec 12, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Looks like a burned 72 on CSI. Was this the one that was for sale in FTL for several years?

Attached Files:

2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, I believe it was the same boat. I remember that Donzi, it was for sale for several years and nobody would buy it. Believe it had 16v92's in it. Was pretty badly burned from what i remember people telling me.
  3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

That boat burned and sank up in NJ or somewhere close, burned so badly that there was no core left anywhere on the boat that was usable. Boat was gutted down to bare glass after which a 2x4 structure was built inside in order to keep the thing from collapsing in on itself. Seeing the boat was a surreal experience, when you opened the cabin door there was NOTHING inside, all you'd see is the engines, no bulkheads, no partitions, no floors, NOTHING. In his infinite wisdom, the guy that purchased it put a pair of freshly rebuilt DDEC 16V92's in it and drove the boat down to FTL where it languished (at Riverbend) for 5+ years till it finally sold. This is where it gets interesting, the guy that purchased it shipped it to Turkey to get rebuilt, glass work was finished, tons of woodwork was installed, hardtop from tower was used in a new "enclosed bridge" but no electrical and no mechanical systems. The owner then drove the boat to Lebanon (WTF?!) to finish it, instead when it arrived a mechanic working on it left a hose off one of the motors which caused the boat to sink again. At this point the owner shipped the boat back to Florida where it's languished in a boat yard with trees growing out of it...

Attached Files:

4. captainviv

captainviv Member

and i see they want $550 000 for it. thanks for posting what you know about it. i was planning to have a look at it, but glad i did not make the effort now ;)
  5. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Go and see it, there may be some value if the price is right.
  6. Manny

Manny Senior Member

was that the 72 named Pokket or something like that?

Are you saying it appeared on an episode of CSI? what episode was that?
  7. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Not sure which episode, but it's the same boat. Manny, which boat did you end up buying?
  8. Manny

Manny Senior Member

I haven't bought a Donzi yet. Still looking for the right deal. How are you enjoying yours?
  9. captainviv

captainviv Member

if its of any help...... the boats name is "miss gizelle", according to photos and USCG official number . i see it did not sell.
  10. Manny

Manny Senior Member

I was browsing a salvage bidding website and come across these pictures. I'm very sure this is the same Donzi. It was listed in 2002. The listing says they purposely sunk it during the fire in order to put it out. It was the R-72 hull #1...what a sad loss :(

Attached Files:

11. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Manny, which site was that?
  12. Manny

Manny Senior Member

13. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Interesting site that seems to steal pics and descriptions from real auctions. The donzi in question wasn't purchased through this site or it's affiliates, she was actually purchased at a salvage car auction.
  14. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

This mess of a boat sold on ebay this morning for $25,000!
  15. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

About 40 cents on the dollar for two fresh 16V92's.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, but I think that you missed the part that it sank after the 16v92's were installed.
  17. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

And that the engines were basically nothing more than anchors at this point after having sat for nearly five years or more without being pickled.
  18. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

From the ebay ad description...

The only thing the seller forgot to mention was the tree that was growing in the boat but I guess he's covered that under the "any other parts on board as a bonus" part. For those who are curious, the ebay item # for the auction was 251177679177.
  19. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Yeah, I realized that afterwards. :eek:
  20. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

This, apart from most of the rest of the bizzare story, baffles me!
    Why the shipping to Turkey, then Lebanon where a disaster struck,again, then go to the cost of shipping it BACK to Florida?
    His shipping costs alone would have been $300K or so? I can guess he wanted it rebuilt in the Middle East as he may have been from there? but why ship a wreck back at the same cargo cost as a pristine Donzi?