Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Westport

Building a new yacht; seeking suggestions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by nilo, Jul 19, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. nilo

nilo Senior Member

I am building a new boat and I want to bank on the expertise and ideas of you fellow forum members, who would be interested to contribute with their ideas and proposals. Of course I already have some ideas, but this does not mean that I will take any good proposal lightly.

The boat will be around 110 feet but initially I do not want to disclose all my ideas, in order not to preset the definitions. I want to participate with my ideas as we move forward and it would of course be prudent to look into this in a certain format.

I think it would be good if we discuss what type of a boat it should be, meaning in terms of hull design; then, how should we shape the layout, whether I should go for a fly bridge or a 3 decker? Where should we have the master and how many cabins? Where should we have the crew cabins and how many? Then we should be discussing the technical aspects, engine power, what type of engines and other technical systems that we can install.

There are so many other details that come to mind, I am already very excited to hear from all of you your proposals and your experiences with various machinery that we find on yachts.

As we proceed with the build, I will happily share the steps in this thread and I hope we all enjoy the experience, which I know is as good as owning a yacht:) .
  2. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

First Step

Wow! I think your very first step is to give us some background info. Not about what you think the boat should look like, but what is the intended use? Open oceans or coastal waters? Blending into the scenery in the Med or dodging ice up in Norway? Visiting the log strewn waters of Alaska or the skinny water of the Caribbean? You mentioned crew and their quarters. How many fulltime crew and do you want room for temps if needed? How many in your party with guests? Hiring a chef/cook or will that be a family affair? How often do you plan on being aboard? What might be the longest you would spend aboard at any one time - weekends, weeks, longer? Any aspirations to cross an ocean or have it shipped across? I think we need a few parameters to start with before we can start suggesting ideas. :)
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Nilo, the possibilities are absolutely endless at this juncture. :D Just saying it's to be 110' long still leaves my imagination open to a myriad of ideas.

Oh, and congrats on this new endeavor too.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Well, if charter work is in it's future then I'd say 4 master/guest cabins with at least two of the guest cabins being equal in size and layout.

Two gensets either of which can handle the full load of the boat with perhaps a third smaller very quiet and well isolated night genset.

Proper over sized ground tackle and windlass. Two of each.

Well thought out storage of the boarding stairs and passarelle.

Lots of fridge/freezer storage. With excellent use of all available space for storage of food, spares, linen, etc., etc.

A nice well thought out outdoor kitchen on the bridge.

If it's going to be an open bridge have a hard top with perhaps kayak storage on top.

Walk around decks are nice.

Easy to switch to back up pumps for the fresh water, aircon water, holding tank pump out, etc. systems.

And for the holding tank, look at the Headhunter waste treatment system.

I'd look at gyro stabilizers for full time stabilization even at the dock with nothing hanging below the hull.

An up to date A/V system that is truly user friendly.

As to crews quarters, perhaps the captain in the bow with the rest of the crew aft. Where ever the captains and crews cabins are have some form of plotter monitors and system alarm panels in them would be helpful.

Electrical panels that you don't have to get on your hands and knees to read. With good lighting on them.

Reading lights located where people are most likely to sit and read.

Take a look at LED lighting to keep the heat and amperage load down on the boat where you can.

Two sets of washer/dryers.

Some form of stand up lazerette or work room aft would be nice.

I like CAT engines myself.

110' is a little small for a true tri-deck in my opinion. They can end up looking like a wedding cake.

But then I like the looks of boats as different to each other as Calixas yachts are to the Vicem's.

A few parameters from you would be helpful to direct the discussion in a more fruitful focused direction.
  5. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Good stuff, are you going with Moonen again or having it built in Turkey?.
  6. nilo

nilo Senior Member

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]Wow! I think your very first step is to give us some background info. Not about what you think the boat should look like, but what is the intended use? Open oceans or coastal waters? Blending into the scenery in the Med or dodging ice up in Norway? Visiting the log strewn waters of Alaska or the skinny water of the Caribbean? You mentioned crew and their quarters. How many fulltime crew and do you want room for temps if needed? How many in your party with guests? Hiring a chef/cook or will that be a family affair? How often do you plan on being aboard? What might be the longest you would spend aboard at any one time - weekends, weeks, longer? Any aspirations to cross an ocean or have it shipped across? I think we need a few parameters to start with before we can start suggesting ideas. :)[/QUOTE]
    I use the boats in the Med, but I am hoping to extend my range even further this time. However, one should not forget that you sell the boat after some time and as "Nilo" she will be the 1st of a new series, therefore she should address to different tastes, as well as different areas.

As to number of crew, again the same comments, it should be addressing to several different desires. There should be some optimization and flexibility to suit different needs/desires.

I do spend long periods on board, sometimes even a month; but again what should a 110 feet boat offer in terms of best flexibility and least compromise on this front.

I know these are not specific answers, but again I would like to repeat that I already have specific ideas and it would not create an unbiased environment here if I start pushing my ideas. It would be nice to see whether when one dreams or more precisely plans a boat at this size, what should each of us who want to participate would like to add and why. Furthermore, on the equipment side, what type and brands would each of us favor to install on such a boat.
  7. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Kevin thanks very much. Indeed there are may be more then "myriad " of ideas, but my aim is to get as many of them out and share the final product with you.
  8. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Yes, she will be a Moonen again. The boat you own looks very interesting and I know that the pleasure is not in the ownership of a yacht, but to be able to share it with others:)
  9. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Great yachting philosophy.
    Since your staying with Moonen, I would work with this (personal favorite) design and maybe massage and improve it a bit, if possible.
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/45054-post209.html
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Nilo, I think it is about time for Moonen to build a motorsailer again..:)
  11. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Thanks, the intention is that this bot will fill the gap between 97 and 124 displacement boats, but not an explorer type as "My Issue", however your ideas are most welcome.
  12. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Well, why not. Actually there has been some discussions in that respect as well. What kind a motor sailor do you have in mind?;)
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Actually, I could think of something like the old sisters Colombaio Sun/Star. They will give you the best of both worlds, not sailing boat styling as Perini or Alloy and not the "soft" styling Moonen has today.

I have no time to take on a new design, but perhaps a conceptual side view if you can not picture yourself what I am thinking of...
  14. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Well I do recall the names; were they the boats owned by Peter Hurzeler?
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

16. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Capt. Bill, I would prefer to comment in between your lines, so that it would be easier to follow;
    Hope that is some ammunition and I would like to thank you for your good comments and would be awaiting yr new ones with interest.
  17. Capt Bill11

Perhaps design the crews cabins with something like Pullman type bunks so when you need more crew their are berths for them. But when you don't the full time crew have more room.

I like Headhunter and Tecma heads.

It would be nice to either have a davit on each side or a centrally located davit so you can deploy the tender from either side.

I'd also look at perhaps jazzing it up with an integrated touch screen "glass bridge" with some basic back ups.

And either proper wing stations and aft deck controls or at least walk around remotes.

A thruster that will work in something over 10 knots of breeze.
  18. Capt Bill11

I'd look at gyro stabilizers for full time stabilization even at the dock with nothing hanging below the hull.

Considering that the boat will anyway have stabilizers, I was thinking more for zero speed stabilizers, because for a heavy boat gyro stabilizers will not be very efficient; or you would need to allocate a huge space and carry a very heavy load.

I'd take a second look at the gyros. When talking to the manufacturer at the show the units are not very big and they said at least one 110' was getting away with using only one unit.

An up to date A/V system that is truly user friendly.

Do you have any good systems on offer in mind?

Sorry, not off hand. On the boat I am running and refitting now we are just going with a HD hard drive video player in each room. Nothing to fancy, just simple. But there was a thread about this not to long ago as I recall.

Well, if charter work is in it's future then I'd say 4 master/guest cabins with at least two of the guest cabins being equal in size and layout.

Although my initial idea was to have 3 quest cabins, including the master, I believe yachts in this size may have charter options. I do not charter my boats, but there may be others who would like to do it; hence there is a tendency to go for 4 cabins 2 being equal size and the remaining 2 slightly smaller.

For charter I just think 1 large master, 2 large equal guests and a slightly smaller double guest is attractive to charterers. Or three large and one small. But that's just me.

A nice well thought out outdoor kitchen on the bridge.

Although I have always been a barbeque fan on all my previous boats, I do realize that this has its own shortcomings, if you want to do it on the fly bridge or open area where people do launch. This time I am thinking of have a facility in the galley and there should be a dump waiter to serve the open area.

That is an interesting idea. Just make sure you have a very good galley ventilator.

Walk around decks are nice.

They are more than nice, but a necessity for safe boat handling.

Some boat manufacturers don't seem to think so. :)
  19. Blair

Blair New Member

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]Wow! I think your very first step is to give us some background info. Not about what you think the boat should look like, but what is the intended use? Open oceans or coastal waters? Blending into the scenery in the Med or dodging ice up in Norway? Visiting the log strewn waters of Alaska or the skinny water of the Caribbean? You mentioned crew and their quarters. How many fulltime crew and do you want room for temps if needed? How many in your party with guests? Hiring a chef/cook or will that be a family affair? How often do you plan on being aboard? What might be the longest you would spend aboard at any one time - weekends, weeks, longer? Any aspirations to cross an ocean or have it shipped across? I think we need a few parameters to start with before we can start suggesting ideas. :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Nilo - if you are not bound by too much need to conform to conventional thinking you might consider looking at catamaran/wavepiercer designs that could offer more space, greater speed and fuel efficiency and relatively improved comfort for passage making. You could get a lot in the length you propose. Worth casting your eye over some of the designers' websites perhaps.
  20. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Excellent Nilo.................congratulations and good luck.

Tarek