Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for MotorCheck

Bruce-Roberts Yacht Kits

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Nismo350Z33, Aug 30, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Nismo350Z33

Nismo350Z33 New Member

I like the idea of buying pre-cut metal pieces to construct a yacht, but is it really worth it? Are the money savings enough when compared to buying a similar premade yacht? I'm not that impressed with the designs of the small power yachts (they look a little to kit-like), but I really like the 85' design. Any comments would be appreciated.

This thread said it came out to $3.4 million and 12 months of build time. I'm pretty sure the steel kit is around $150,000 USD so where does the extra $3.2 million go? http://yachtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582&highlight=bruce+roberts
  2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS New Member

First of all: on such a large project, you should make a cost calculation before. The required kit-price includes Bruce Robert's fee for the building rights.
    The costs of the hull are about 10 to 15% of the total pre-calculated costprice, depending also on the quality of the casco.
    In this particular case you are talking about a yacht built in Turkey. A few years ago,
    they (the Turkish shipyard) outbid me to such extend that even the design-office was quite surprised. about the low price they offered. I must say that the principal had sent to almost any well known shipyard a comprehensive list of items to be quoted on - so he could very well define the profitranges of the yards in question.
    However, 3,5 mil us$ for such a project is absolutely a steal - depending of course on the specifications and grade of interior finishing.
    I can assure you that even at pre-Euro times a 100 A1 yard in one of the EEC countries could not build a yacht in that size for that prize. At least not the yards I know.
  3. YACHTMARINE

YACHTMARINE Guest

Price of an 85 footer in steel.

Hello Nismo...

In reply to your query I can tell you the price of the 85 foot steel trawler yacht depicted below comes at around US$ 2.3 mill from a well known Brazilian yard.

Regards
    ToreC
  4. YACHTMARINE

YACHTMARINE Guest

ATLANTICA 85 TRAWLER YACHT FROM BRAZIL

Hello again Nismo..

An even better offer is available from the renowned builder in Brazil who has
    built Amyr KlinkĀ“s famous sailing yacht the Paratii, Bentini Metalmar in Santos.
    He has also built many steel and aluminium boats designed by local Roberto
    Barros as well as Bruce Roberts and others.

They now offer the Atlantica 85 Trawler Yacht at the unbelieveable price of
    US$ 1.6 mill. for the basically equipped boat. Have a look below...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  5. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

The original idea of the kit boat was aimed at the owner / builder I suspect that most of them were never finished. I do not believe that the cost saving of having a builder assemble a kit would make it worthwhile unless you just absolutly loved that hull, deck, superstructure and there was no other way of getting it. If I were to have a yacht built I would go to the builder with a roll of drawings under my arm.
  6. YACHTMARINE

YACHTMARINE Guest

I think you are a little mislead with regards to the way well known designers
    offer their plans to the builder. The building plans comes in full detail on paper
    and if the builder wants to do it the hard way he can cut the steel shapes himself
    manually, which is very time consuming or invest in a costly computer controlled
    cutting machine. I think most of them however would accept the cutting files
    presented on a CD with pleasure and let their main steel supplier use THEIR
    expensive cutting machines for delivery precisely cut and without any ackward
    edges to grind before doing the welding job. Nothing inferior at all about this method.

The 85 footer above designed by Bruce Roberts is built in this way and
    is nothing like the 'kit boat' you describe. Do you really think any builder would
    build the Atlantica 85 above at a price of US$ 1.6 mill from your roll of paper?

You are right of course about the many half finished kit boats lying around
    which unskilled amateurs have attempted to build. But that is entirely
    another matter.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  7. Garry Hartshorn

I was speaking figuratively. The point being that one would go to the builder with the plans not a pile of steel allready cut up and yes they would probabley go to their steel / metal supplier to process the material.
  8. Garry Hartshorn

I am a big fan of CAD CAM design and construction methods, to the point that I have educated myself in the use of AutoCad, Rhino, ProLines. But when you say kit boat I automaticaly think of an oversized model kit, in which the pieces as wel as the materials are supplied. If on the other hand the files to plot and cut all material are on a disc then it is not really a kit but a detailed set of plans ( drawings ) and any designer who goes to such detail should be applauded.
  9. stephiedib

stephiedib Guest

Ciao Yachtmarine!

I am considering having a 485 Bruce Roberts LR trawler (probably aluminum) built vis-a-vis buying a used Nordhavn 46 or 47. Would like some contact info on the yards you referred to in Brazil -- and if you have info on any good yards in Turkey. Many thanks
  10. keljen

keljen New Member

Yacht designer

Have alook at Dudley Dix vessels
    at www.dixdesign.com

He has some interesting designs and gives all cutting lists on CAD disc
    It is worth looking at

Clive