Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

bow toe rail alternatives to varnish

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Bamboo, Feb 29, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

It seems there are quite a few folks that don't enjoy the repetitive work which is required to keep a varnished toe rail looking good if it's varnished. There are companies which will paint it to make it look like varnish, and paint which somewhat matches the teak color so from 20 feet you think it's varnished- but what have you done or found which works best for you instead of varnish?
  2. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

For external teak (but not covering boards or decks) I give them a "hard candy shell" of epoxy topped with a UV LPU paint such as Alexseal, Awl Grip or Imron. I start by applying four or five coats of high-solids epoxy, (usually West 105/207). If that fills all the pinholes and grain, sand down with 180/220 grit then begin building up the clear. It may be overkill but I like to shoot five coats a day, sanding (220 grit) between each batch until the surface is fair and true, then sand a final time with 320 grit and shoot the final "money shot" after wiping down and tacking to get rid of dust.

It is more work initially to properly apply the necessary multiple coats but they'll last five years or more with no maintenance whatsoever. After five or so, the outer layer will start to lose it's gloss and you just lightly sand it off and apply another layer which resets the clock for another five years. This is the same method all the fighting chair manufacturers coat their creations.
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

can you put varnish over the epoxy?
    I think so, but have never done it.
    I know WestSystem will yellow with UV light if not covered.

I use two part varnish in the North East.
    It seems to last 3-5 years uncovered.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

What can be done at the dock- not the yard? That would be the next question.... :)
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've had good luck with the Cetol marine teak color, 2 coats of that and 2-3 coats of clear cetol over it. That can easily be done at the dock. Also recently did a boat with the Awlgrip Awlwood and that went on nice and looks nice, but it was only done in November...... That too doesn't need as many coats as varnish

6. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Yes you can "varnish" over epoxy. Most people use a synthetic varnish or 2 part poly varnish over the epoxy.

West does, or at least did, make an epoxy with UV filters in it.