Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Comfort Click for Perko Click for Westport

Bought a 99 Maxum 46' but....

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by sandiegoguy, Jul 29, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sandiegoguy

sandiegoguy New Member

But the gps is ancient! Looks like my first computer back in 1985!
    I'd like to get a new one but I'm confused on something. So the boat has autopilot and radar with old gps. I mean its all old really.

I'd just like to get a new gps and I guess radar (maybe fish finder in one unit) but will this mean the autopilot won't work? I wasn't sure if they are all tied together and changing one breaks the other.

any advice is appreciated.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Kind of hard to answer if you don't even take the time to tell us what brand and model GPS and AP you have...

Basic AP functionsnlike heading will not be affected by replacing the GPS. If you feel you cant live without having your AP slaved to your GPS then the new unit will need to be connected to the AP. Details depend on what you have.
  3. sandiegoguy

sandiegoguy New Member

I wish I knew. I'd love to share exact brands/model#s but this boat is new to me and 60 miles away at the moment. It's a very old system and I doubt the AP is currently tied into the gps. I think it only goes by heading and thats it.

I think what i will end up doing is just using a LTE ipad with built in GPS and use that...leaving all my current things in place. I'll have autopilot, gps and radar just as separate systems which is fine. I'm never going more than 100 miles in any direction from where my slip is.
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

If your strategy for navigation is to rely on cell service you're going to need a new strategy. There are many cellular dead zones along coastal southern California. Among them is just offshore of Point Loma. You will likely experience some loss of service even on short trips such as when running between San Diego and Mission Bay.
  5. sandiegoguy

sandiegoguy New Member

I'm not relying on that. The ipads have GPS (real GPS) built in them if you get the right model. It doesn't need to have cell service to have GPS capability. I wouldn't even get cell service on it to be honest.

I've read some tests to see how accurate and they can't see any difference between a garmin unit and the ipad one (which gives choices of many different apps and always being updated)

I got the idea from surveyor the other day when I showed him the equipment and then I researched it.
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I'd be willing to bet that it's RayMarine equipment. Pretty well standard on Maxum in 1999. You could look into updating with newer model RayMarine stuff that may integrate. Or go to new Garmin which IMHO is way more user friendly.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Use the boat for a while and see what you really need. Way too many buyers are talked into spending an arm and a leg on electronics they don't need

Personally I have never use GPS waypoint with the autopilot. Never. I set a heading and that s it. And I like my radar and Gps on two different screens, not split or overlayed

I also rely extensively on garmin blue charts on an iPad with life proof nud case No screen cover so easier to see although never great in direct sunlight Unlike the wifi only version cellular iPads have an on board how chip that's just as accurate as built in units
  8. sandiegoguy

sandiegoguy New Member

SeaEric, yes you are correct. That much I do know but as far as models, have no idea.

Pascal, Great advice !
    And that's what I've been reading with the iPads. It would be a very simple thing to do and wouldn't be bolted into 1 place. I honestly didn't know if GPS/waypoint/Autopilot was something people rarely used as a tied together unit or a "must have". This is all new to me so I'm learning as I go. Not new to boating by any means, but new to this type of boat and setup.

I think i have my answer now. The autopilot is simple as it is, works great. Radar works good enough. Depth finder is ok. So the ipad GPS system will be the only thing I'll add & I can leave my old one in place as a backup.
  9. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    I totally agree with Pascal!
  10. sandiegoguy

sandiegoguy New Member

Case in point. A guy we went fishing with a few weeks ago had a $30,000 fish finder system. We caught 1 small fish all day!
  11. FIQ

FIQ Member

The best fishfinder that I ever had was Grandpa!

Come to think of it, he was a pretty good GPS too!